Schweizer 300CBI question

For those of you training on the 300CBI, do you learn from the right or left seat? If it's from the left is there any problem transitioning to something where you fly from the right seat like an r22?

Also, anyone know if California Flight Center or Los Angeles Helicopters in Long Beach are any good?

For those of you training on the 300CBI, do you learn from the right or left seat? If it's from the left is there any problem transitioning to something where you fly from the right seat like an r22?

Also, anyone know if California Flight Center or Los Angeles Helicopters in Long Beach are any good?

JAC- Here is my standard LA area flight school response.

I have never flown with LA Helicopters. I do however meet most of the CFI's at several professional helicopter events throughout the LA area. They seem to be sharp, concerned enough about safety to be ONE of the FEW schools that send pilots to safety seminars, from what I can see, a good group of guys.

If you want 300's, check out Group 3 at VNY

If you talk to Rotor91, he would recommend Pacific Coast Helo..( he flies there-robbies)

I fly out of Twin Air VNY, mostly R22's and 44...no 300's

I've never even noticed the whole left seat/ right seat thing..every ship is different, doesnt bother me at all switching sides....just harder as a right hander to change radios from the left seat.

Best of luck, PM Rotor91 or me for more info...we both fly here in LA ... Goldy

I have never flown with LA Helicopters. I do however meet most of the CFI's at several professional helicopter events throughout the LA area. They seem to be sharp, concerned enough about safety to be ONE of the FEW schools that send pilots to safety seminars, from what I can see, a good group of guys.

If you talk to Rotor91, he would recommend Pacific Coast Helo..( he flies there-robbies)

I've never even noticed the whole left seat/ right seat thing..every ship is different, doesnt bother me at all switching sides....just harder as a right hander to change radios from the left seat.

In the 300 the PIC is in the right seat just as in the R-22. Some will have PIC in the left seat to so that a 3rd person can sit in the middle and the collective will then be out of the way. Most helicopters are PIC right seat. I did train in the R-22 and 300CBi. I also flew the Enstrom F28F which was actualy PIC in the left seat. I also fly airplanes which was PIC left seat as well. When you start CFI training then you can move over to the left seat which isn't too hard to get used to. Since I had CFI students and primary students I would instruct for both sides switching from one to the other with each student. Nothing to really worry about.

As for schools, LA Helicopters in Long Beach is good. They do training with the LB Police Dept. Cal. Flight Center I don't know much about. Group 3, I have heard good things about. In fact my Chief Pilot trained and instructed there for quite some time. He was happy.

JD

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

It's a little more complicated than this, but in a nutshell my instructor has me fly right seat to "practice" something I've already learned. He has me in the left seat when he teaches me a new skill. I honestly don't have a problem switching back and forth.

Hey Goldly your training at Twin Air? I remember checking them out for my training and talking with the Cheif Pilot. It sounded too good to be true. He was gaurenteeing a job flying law enforcment contracts. The thing that really turned me off was A: The price and B: When asked he said no one had made it through the program so there was no way to verify if the job gaurentee was actually true. Can you clear this up for me? Thanks!

Hey Goldly your training at Twin Air? I remember checking them out for my training and talking with the Cheif Pilot. It sounded too good to be true. He was gaurenteeing a job flying law enforcment contracts. The thing that really turned me off was A: The price and B: When asked he said no one had made it through the program so there was no way to verify if the job gaurentee was actually true. Can you clear this up for me? Thanks!

I know there was a deal going around a year or two ago, they were doing some sort of patrols for alarm companies...not sure whatever happened to it. He does occasionally run a single price deal for your basic pilot training. I think the last one was 12K total....included everything, checkouts, ground school, sim time, flight time, etc. It was an actual guarantee that you got as much time as you needed until you got your PPL. I thought that was a pretty good deal ( I already had my PPL, so I didnt do it).

They have always done what they said they would, always give me 30 days notice before rate increases to buy in again at the old rates, and a pretty good group of CFI's and pilots that fly there.

I dont work there, just rent...but I 'm pretty happy...good rates.

PM or call me if you still have ??? Goldy