? on School's Policy

Here's a question. I am just now checking into different schools in my area, to start helicopter training. I visited one school, closest to my home, and the guy there spent an hour talking with me and answering questions. I got to meet 2 of the instructors. I got a real good "feel" about the school, except.... the guy there told me they require students to keep $1,300.00 on account. He didn't say I'd need to put $1,300.00 down to begin training, but rather, I'd need to keep $1,300.00 on account.

Is this a standard policy? It seems strange to me. I just don't feel comfortable with that. I have just emailed 2 other schools to find out what their policy is.

I'm in two minds about this....

In the grand scheme of things, 1300 actually isn't that much. From the school's point of view, it provides them a little bit of collateral against the 1 in 20 students that suddenly does a runner with unpaid flights. For a smaller school it ensures they have the money for the next 100 hr inspection ahead of time. That sort of thing. From the student's point of view, well, if the school did go belly-up, it would be annoying to lose $1300, but actually I could wear it I think.

If the sum was in the region of say $3000 or more than I would be wary.

So if the school is good, look trustworthy and healthy, then I wouldn't worry too much. Try to get an idea how religiously they stick to that. It might be their policy, but you could find that actually if students have a little trouble with say a bank transfer they will show a bit of goodwill leeway here and there.

On the other hand, all the same points can be applied the other way. We could say $1300 is not that much to a flight school. They are rich, so what's a measly $1300. Don't they trust their students or something? If they don't show trust and faith in people then when else might they not trust me...?

Personally, I give people I don't know the benefit of the doubt and greet them with trust before distrust. So I would go green, and simply belive that the school have good reasons for having a policy in place, and try to understand that often a policy is there to protect against that 1 in 20 students that doesn't come good...not because its a dodgy school.

Joker

I am no expert, but when I was training you didn't need to have an account. You could walk in the door, fly, and put it on the MasterCard.

I don't see why it would be neccessary to keep money in an account unless it's some kind of "insurance" for them against you flying and then disappearing without paying. Maybe they got burned in the past.

-T

Edited by tvman345

I am no expert, but when I was training you didn't need to have an account. You could walk in the door, fly, and put it on the MasterCard.

I don't see why it would be neccessary to keep money in an account unless it's some kind of "insurance" for them against you flying and then disappearing without paying. Maybe they got burned in the past.

-T

Could be from paying the "Standard" rate or "Block" rate, which is a difference of about $10-20/hour.

my .02!

R91

.... the guy there told me they require students to keep $1,300.00 on account. He didn't say I'd need to put $1,300.00 down to begin training, but rather, I'd need to keep $1,300.00 on account.

Is this a standard policy? It seems strange to me. I just don't feel comfortable with that. I have just emailed 2 other schools to find out what their policy is.

Two questions: If you are a pay-as-you-go student, what would it take to get that money "on account" back if you change schools or just stop training; and, what would it take for them to not give some or all of it back?

Hey, Silver State wants $70k "on account" (y'all knew I was going to say that didn't ya).

I don’t know that it is all that unusual for a school to require you to have at small balance on your account. If $1300.00 isn’t comfortable for you, then see if one hour flight time, or a credit card on file will satisfy their requirements. I would make sure that I knew what their policy was (in writing) on returning that money to you.

If you had an overall good feeling about the school and the people you talked with, I would let them know that you would like to work with them, but you’re just not comfortable with the money up front, I’m sure they’ll work something out with you.

Good luck

Clark B)

Thank you, everyone. I feel much better now. I do understand the need to pay for a lesson - and aircraft rental - in advance, and also for the school to have some kind of committment on the student's part. Especially because this is a small school with only 2 aircraft at this time. But I was concerned about giving them $1,300, then taking one or two lessons (which would cost about $500 or so) and then they fold up.

But, like I said, I got a real good "feel" about the school and the people there.

It may just be an insurance deductable. But if the school sounds really level headed and upfront you should probably just ask them. If they've been burned in the past and thats the reason I'm sure they will have no problem with telling you. It doesn't look bad on them because they had a student who couldn't pay his bills. I mean they do have the right to ask you to keep that much on hand but it is your money, you have the right to ask them why they want it.

Here's a question. I am just now checking into different schools in my area, to start helicopter training. I visited one school, closest to my home, and the guy there spent an hour talking with me and answering questions. I got to meet 2 of the instructors. I got a real good "feel" about the school, except.... the guy there told me they require students to keep $1,300.00 on account. He didn't say I'd need to put $1,300.00 down to begin training, but rather, I'd need to keep $1,300.00 on account.

Just a thought for you! When I started flight training I asked that question. I was told I would not need a bank of money. However now when I go I pay cash. I add an extra $40.00 every time I go so eventually I will have extra money in there for extra flights. I can get back any monies not used so I really am not too worried. Now if I had alot of money and paid for school upfront say $15,000.00 then I would get a cheaper hourly rate...

This is something I do thought it might help.

Rookie

The school up here in minnesota wants $5000 for down payment. For getting a better rate. But so far the company has been letting me pay by the hour. If you take the college course up here you will get a better rate to because the helicopter company and the school has an agreement worked out.

Dom