Class1 Medical Exam

LB11

I was wondering what tests are performed when you get your class1.

I took one and I thought it was the stupidest physical I have ever taken.

I think he wasnt doing his job properly and Just wanted everyone elses experience here.

Eh..I would not complain too much about the flight surgons. There will come a day when you will be glad he does a quick glance and signs the paperwork without a second glance.

Eh..I would not complain too much about the flight surgons. There will come a day when you will be glad he does a quick glance and signs the paperwork without a second glance.

Exactly! I was extremely nervous going in for my class II. Flight surgeon pretty much blew right through it. As long as your eyes, ears, and ticker check out, you're good to go. My Doc. asked why I was so nervous, I said "Because you can ground me before I even get up there." He said he's only grounded 2 pilots in his career. I heard from several people on this board, as well as my doc. There are certain medicines to stay away from, and no booze for 48 hours before. Meds can be found on AOPA's site I believe.

So, the short version to my long winded post is yeah, it was short, sweet, and to the point!

When I got my initial flight physical in the Air Force, a chest x-ray almost did me in...all over scoliosis. It turned out that one doc over measured the curvature of my upper back, and it took one or two more to come in before coming up with a lower measurement. Did they fudge it? I'll never know, but I guess the story goes that if it's at 30 degrees or more curvature, that you can't get an AF Class I due to potential back injury. Never stopped me from carrying a ruck before (ARMY before I went to the Air Guard and in a flying position) and the Army certainly showed little concern with the scoliosis on their end.

So once they found out that I'd been happily rucking along for the previous 8 years, another doc came in and measured it at 17 degrees vs. the previous doc who had it at 32. After that, it never came up again in another 3-4 more physicals.

We'll see what happens now when I start doing this all over again...

:unsure:

Why did you get a Class I? There is no reason to get one unless you are required to for a job, and there are very few jobs that require it. It's just more expense for nothing.

I think you are required to have a class 1 for ATP.