work under 1000 hours?

bobo

Is there such a job out there? I’m not really exited about becoming a CFI and don’t know what’s out there. Just want to get some input and see if I should finish or not. I have heard rumors.

The 1000 hour mark is kind of arbitrary. I work for an aviation insurance brokerage, and while most people claim its an insurance industry requirement, we have many pilots insured with less time than this. Mostly it comes down to who you know; law enforcement guys are flying OH58s at 200 hours. Most of the time 500-800 hours is enough to get you added to an insurance policy without an issue, but it seems like all the employers are asking for 1000 hours. Now usually you will require some dual or school prior to flying it by yourself, but this 1000 hour number is definitely not concrete.

Is there such a job out there? I’m not really exited about becoming a CFI and don’t know what’s out there. Just want to get some input and see if I should finish or not. I have heard rumors.

I'd like to know the same thing. Maybe some of you more in-the-know folks can recommend some jobs that pilots with less experience might have a shot at. How 'bout some links to those companies we should look into! Or stories, let us know how you got from 0 to 1000 (excluding instructing and military training).

X2 on this. The only reason I chose a Robi school was for more job opportunities if by chance there is no opening at my school when I'm in need of an instructor job, but the sooner I can get out of a Robi, the happier I'll be cuz I am not a fan of them at all, so being able to bypass instructing would be fantastic.

There are very few people that "want" to instruct. I certainly didn't. I hated it and couldn't wait to move on to "bigger and better" things. I would have to agree with svtcobra66 when he says it's who you know. If you don't know people in the industry, then you will probably not find anything other than instructing. If I were you, I would finish my ratings, try to get a job with the school that you are with now, and then go to the soonest heli-expo. Lots of people in the industry there.

I went to school with a girl that finished her CFII, worked at the school for about two weeks, went to the heli-expo, and never came back to the school. She made the right contacts there and was offered a job on the spot. Now I'm not saying that you will get a job at the expo, but they do have a whole day dedicated to a job fair.