Classic Helicopter CO.

Ask me in two weeks after my checkride. I am going to Classic for my ppl checkride and to continue my training with Comm, Inst, CFI and CFII.

I have had several phone conversations with Phillip Walling the VP of the school and so far I have gotten a great impression.

I have heard lots of good stuff about them, and NOTHING bad, which is usually a good sign.

Ask me in two weeks after my checkride. I am going to Classic for my ppl checkride and to continue my training with Comm, Inst, CFI and CFII.

I understand changing schools for the 141 status, but just out of curiosity why are you taking the PPL there instead of at your old school?

Has anybody here had any experience with Classic Helicopters in Seattle? Are they a good school?

I looked at Classic based on a friend's recommendation (he commutes in an R22 and did his BFR there). Good school, seems to have it's stuff in order. Few reasons I decided against Classic, but the main 2 were the airspace (BFI is crowded, and you will always have radio traffic) and winter weather in Seattle. If you can get over those 2 issues, you might as well check out Northwest, which is just south of Classic. Smaller part 61 operation, but I was impressed with them as well. You might also want to consider a few schools on the east side of the Cascades...there's Desert Sun and Leading Edge, both in the Bend/Redmond OR area, and Silverhawk in Boise. All of these looked like good schools--number of choppers (and what they have for instrument training), instructor experience, and overall size differentiate them. O, not all are part 141, and all fly Robinsons.

--c

Nothing but Good things I have a Friend that has done alot of training there and loves the NW as we both grew up ion the area I do agree with the winter weather comment but Hey its seattle.. and the Radio traffic is something that you would get good at quickly .. and then you'd be prepped to go anywhere.. The Chief Pilot is a great man and fair .. Weigh your options and go to the school that feels right.. as its going to BE YOUR training.

I understand changing schools for the 141 status, but just out of curiosity why are you taking the PPL there instead of at your old school?

I would finish my ppl here in TN except that there are no Designated Pilot Examiners in my region, so I would have to travel either to Louisville, KY or Atlanta, GA to get my checkride. Since I am going to Classic in Seattle for the rest of my training anyway, I figured that it would be easier to just do my checkride with them and not waste a trip to one of the other places.

My bf went to Classic 5yrs ago, I go to NW down the street. Both are great and we have friends and colleagues at each, just had different personal inclinations that made us go opposite! The radio traffic at BFI can be crazy, esp now that summer is here. But you will learn it and be ready for anywhere you go. The winter weather is just that. Deal with it or go east. But it's good weather training when you can get up. I have a friend who went to Silverhawk in Boise (awesome) and another to SSH in Utah (he did fine) and they had great weather for training. Another friend out of Hillsboro in OR (loved it), same weather issues as Seattle but whatcha gonna do. There is also Glacier Aviation in Olympia which I hear nothing but rave reviews about however I know no alum personally. Bottomline, talk to instructors and students at each and see where you feel at home and who you click with the best, that will make or break your training more than anything else. Happy flying!

Oh fantastic! This thread popped up at just the right time as I was also wondering about Classic myself. I moved up to Seattle a year ago for work after looking very heavily at Precision Aviation down in Newberg OR (wish I could have gone but que sera) I'm glad to hear that Classic is regarded very well and will be checking them out in depth here in the next few weekends.