Helicopter sayings

SuperSixOne

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is my personal definition of a helicopter. Anything similar anyone else may have heard is coincidental.

"A helicopter is a machine, that when running, is literally trying to tear itself apart.... And also happens to fly." - Me :D

God knows how I love the damn things... Can't get enough. But even my instructor thinks I am paranoid, he goes to get gas after we've been flying for a couple hours and I am re-preflighting the bird all over again. I have seen way too many things go wrong to ever trust them completely, even for a second.

"The moment you put yourself in a position where an engine failure will kill you is the moment it WILL." - Some CFI (I can't remember his name...)

A Chinook is the only helicopter that can fly in formation with itself

Different version of an earlier one:

There I was...10,000 feet..inverted with a sling load, one blade turnin' one blade burnin', air medals dangling in my face

"... takin head shot's out the window with my 9mm. Couldn't push the pedals because the chin-bubble was full of grenade pins..."

• 6 months later...

Not a saying and more fixed wing but still funny, Matt Damon as a pilot on 30 Rock last week: "Sullenberger's not so great. You know what a great pilot would have done? Not hit the birds. That's what I do everyday, not hit birds, where's my ticket to the Grammy's?" :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something my motorcycle instructor told me that I think could also apply to helicopters:

"You are piloting a machine that, the instant you stop respecting it, will kill you."

I didn't like leaving this thread hanging on a fairly negative comment so here's a more neutral bit of wisdom I found surfing the web. :)

"The inexperienced pilot pushes on in adverse conditions, when the more experienced pilot turns back…to join the most experienced pilot who never took off in the first place."

• Like 2

Helicopters:

-150,000 nuts'n'bolts flying in loose formation

or

-a heap of spinning metal fatigue surrounded by an oil leak on the way to a crash site

Q: How do you know when you're on a blind date with a helicopter pilot?

A: 'Cause after the first hour he says, "Well enough about me, let's talk about flying."

• 5 months later...

EMS helicopters are the only ones with a 100% guarantee on each flight, no matter where, why, and how they land... there will always be an accident. :P :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The inexperienced pilot pushes on in adverse conditions, when the more experienced pilot turns back…to join the most experienced pilot who never took off in the first place."

Definitely my favorite quote!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Lost? just descend and read the road signs.

WHILE being VERY diligent about wires and towers as well as static lines. Then prepare yourself for a 'low flying' tip-off and subsequent incident report with the relevant authority.

Lost while having cellphone signal? Take out your smartphone and open Google Maps. Should help a little ;)

"an airplane pilot and his son sit and have a conversation about relationships.

Pilot: Son some day you are going to find the most beautiful woman that makes you think of nothing but her. She will be the woman that every man looks at in the room, satisfies all your needs. You will marry her, give her everything. One day she will up and leave you for the most intelligent man you have ever met, you will be jealous of his looks, his strength and the fact he stole your girl. She will break your heart and stomp all over you.

And those guys are helicopter pilots! "