Helicopter Having Impact On Life

Dominis

Hopefully people will weigh in on this because it's obviously a major concern with this career track. I was wondering how becoming a helicopter pilot has impacted folks' relationships? Is anyone out there in a two-pilot relationship? Can two helicopter pilots of the opposite sex live together and be treated as equal with each other? Did you start out together or meet through training/work? Has becoming a helicopter pilot made you stronger as a person and actually improved other aspects of your life (e.g. rel'ships)? How about regular couples (one helo)? Does the other half worry each time the pilot is up in the air so after a while it wears on them? What did you have to do to maintain a successful rel'ship?

We all know the AIDS statistics. Maybe we can swap stories and learn something. It can't be ALL bad. Can it?! I would like everyone's opinion.

Thanks,

Bobby (Dom)

P.S. Thanks Heligirl03

Edited by Dominis

I'm not a monk, btw, nor am I a nun! Is everyone just accepting this fate? That's nuts. It's gotta be different with the increasing number of civilian-trained pilots entering the industry. Plus, am I the only girl out here?? My bf is a fellow driver, it's quite the ride, that's for sure! I train and work and live at home, he's on a 20/10 schedule (or supposed to be, he's been home a month on standby) and actually gets paid for his skills. Nothing's cooler than flyin' around together on a gorgeous sunday afternoon...on the off chance he's in town and I'm not working, that is!! Eek. It's the road less traveled, that's for sure. Two heli-addicts? We barely scrape by...but we're livin' the dream, right? Right?? :blink:

Anybody? ;)

My spousal unit wasn't too happy about the thought of me flying at first, but she's now used to the idea.

The most important thing to remember here is to make time for her. I've cancelled a few flights to do things with her, like a camping trip and paddling the lake. Also important is to acknowledge her concern when there's a story on the news of an aircraft going down. It can happen, but more than likely, not.

The best thing is to talk to each other. She now looks forward to that first ride with me, but with her door on.

Spend time with each other and do activities the other likes. That'll help in the long run.

Later

There are two possibilities:

A.) One side of a relationship is a pilot, the other is not.

1.) The pilot met the significant other before becoming a pilot.

a.) The pilot educated the significant other on what being a heli pilot meant before jumping in..ie) away ALOT usually

b.) The pilot met the significant other after becoming a pilot and there cool with it..ie) never happens

2.) The pilot has AIDS. (Aviation Induced Divorced Syndrome)- also applies to pilots with no significant other.

B.) Both are pilots.

1.) Constant competition and no physical congruity (see AIDS)

2.) Both are flight instructors with the same schedule at the same school.

3.) They own an aircraft and constantly fight over the controls/technique (see AIDS)

Conclusion: only B.)2.) ever works for any period of time. You'd think A.)1.)b.) would too, but its rare. Of course there are plenty of exceptions to all this, I'm just steryotyping because its funny and steryotypes arent funny unless they're kinda true.

PS: there should be a smiley for "obviously intoxicated" :D

Edited by HelliBoy

It can be tough. It's bad enough that I'm away from home so much, with my wife staying there. If she were working this job, we might see each other a day or a few each month, at best. For some couples, that might actually insure longevity for the relationship, but I wouldn't want it. We have at least one married couple working for my company, at different bases, but I can't say much about how it works for them. They haven't been married that long, and I don't know, and don't want to know, how they get along.

In the end, everyone is different, and every relationship is different. What works for some won't work at all for others, so it's useless to even speculate on whether a relationship will work. It depends entirely on the individuals involved. With enough commitment, any relationship can be made to work, and without it, none will work. Working the schedule I do, always far from home, there are endless opportunities for infidelity, and the same for my wife, being home alone for weeks at a time. We trust each other, and have stayed happily married for over 30 years. We are not the norm, but so far we've made it work.

In the end, everyone is different, and every relationship is different. What works for some won't work at all for others, so it's useless to even speculate on whether a relationship will work. It depends entirely on the individuals involved. With enough commitment, any relationship can be made to work, and without it, none will work.

Wise words Gomer! Kudos to you and your wife for being the example. ;)

Let me sum up what Gomer just said.

TRUST.

There ya go. If you are someone, or your spouse is someone, who feels they need to be physically next to someone a certain amount of time in order to be together, then it's going to be tough. Regardless, if there is no trust, you'll find out sooner than you would otherwise.