Helicopter Training School Recommendations in Washington?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any helicopter training school based in Washington State, preferably near or in Seattle. I am looking for a full time training facility to work through CPL to CFI and job placement in the region. Cost is not a top priority but quality of training, safery, regular scheduling, a/c availability and good student/instructor ratios are.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or personal experiences.

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any helicopter training school based in Washington State, preferably near or in Seattle. I am looking for a full time training facility to work through CPL to CFI and job placement in the region. Cost is not a top priority but quality of training, safery, regular scheduling, a/c availability and good student/instructor ratios are.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or personal experiences.

Barks,

you can search the forums for Northwest and Classic (both in Seattle) and Glacier (Tacoma or Olympia??)--all 3 of these generally get good recommendations, which you'll find if you look at past posts. There are also 2 that haven't been raised much (Airworks and Scenic???), but you'll get better info on those if you look in the flight school reviews at the top of the flight training page. Anybody who asks about Washington schools also gets Portland-area schools (Hillsboro being the big one) and the schools in Bend/Redmond (Leading Edge and Desert Sun). I think both of the Bend/Redmond schools are worth a look, better weather there, and both seemed like good operations. You might also want to consider Silverhawk in Boise if you can relocate--after looking at Classic, Northwest, Leading Edge, and Desert Sun, it's where I ended up.

--c

Barks,

you can search the forums for Northwest and Classic (both in Seattle) and Glacier (Tacoma or Olympia??)--all 3 of these generally get good recommendations, which you'll find if you look at past posts. There are also 2 that haven't been raised much (Airworks and Scenic???), but you'll get better info on those if you look in the flight school reviews at the top of the flight training page. Anybody who asks about Washington schools also gets Portland-area schools (Hillsboro being the big one) and the schools in Bend/Redmond (Leading Edge and Desert Sun). I think both of the Bend/Redmond schools are worth a look, better weather there, and both seemed like good operations. You might also want to consider Silverhawk in Boise if you can relocate--after looking at Classic, Northwest, Leading Edge, and Desert Sun, it's where I ended up.

--c

Thank you for pointing out these schools to look at.

Glacier Aviation has locations in Olympia and Skagit. The Olympia location is their main base. In Skagit, I believe there is only one or two instructors. Great school, good equipment, and good instructors. The DPE is on site which makes taking your practicals easy, and he is hands down the best pilot I've ever flown with. You would have to fly to Kelso, OR to take your Instrument and your CFII practicals. I have flown with one of the guys over at Northwest Helicopters and enjoyed it. Not the nicest facility though.

I highly recommend Quantum Helicopters in Chandler, AZ if you are willing to relocate. Quantum's safety record is emaculate, and they produce top notch pilots.

Good luck with your choice.

--CM

I go to Northwest in Seattle and couldn't be more pleased with every variable that arises in training. LOVE it. I know people from Classic and Glacier and Silverhawk (and former NWers) and all have great programs. Find an instructor you like and go with that school. Money and such will all come out in the wash. It'll make all the difference in the long run with the right instructor.

I go to Northwest in Seattle and couldn't be more pleased with every variable that arises in training. LOVE it. I know people from Classic and Glacier and Silverhawk (and former NWers) and all have great programs. Find an instructor you like and go with that school. Money and such will all come out in the wash. It'll make all the difference in the long run with the right instructor.

Thanks for taking time to post. Can I just show-up at Northwest and look around? I have called but no answer. I have been contacted by SSH in Arlington but I want to follow the great leads and recommends for Northwest, Classic and Glacier first.

Stay safe.

There's not much to see at Northwest! It's small so if we're all out flying the office is locked. I know it's tough on the guys in the office, trying to return every call. They try really hard! My suggestion is to call at 9:15 or 11:15 or 1:15 or 3:15pm. That's when students are out preflighting and they are catching up on business. :) You can plan a time to come chat but there is no 25cent tour unless you do a demo flight. Not much to see! Office, ramp, a few R22s and a little 'ole hangar. Just think, low overhead. :) Avoid SSH. Not worth the trouble with so many great local options!!

Thanks for taking time to post. Can I just show-up at Northwest and look around? I have called but no answer. I have been contacted by SSH in Arlington but I want to follow the great leads and recommends for Northwest, Classic and Glacier first.

Stay safe.

There's not much to see at Northwest! It's small so if we're all out flying the office is locked. I know it's tough on the guys in the office, trying to return every call. They try really hard! My suggestion is to call at 9:15 or 11:15 or 1:15 or 3:15pm. That's when students are out preflighting and they are catching up on business. :) You can plan a time to come chat but there is no 25cent tour unless you do a demo flight. Not much to see! Office, ramp, a few R22s and a little 'ole hangar. Just think, low overhead. :) Avoid SSH. Not worth the trouble with so many great local options!!

Thanks for the insight. I'll call at one of those times or maybe just book a demo, which seems the best way to get a feel for your school.

I like the fact that everyone is out flying, just the way it should be!

Snohomish Flyinger center in Snohomish is where I'm currently taking lessons. If you're on the East side of the water it might be an easier drive for you. I'm really enjoying it and they seem to have a good crew.

They fly Schweizers, but I think that's pretty much just personal opinion.

Bit more expensive, but I think it's all going to come out in the wash.

I second the Glacier post. I did my ppl there a few years ago and thought it was a great little school. I was just there last month and it has only gotten better. Mike E is a great pilot and made my comm ride a great experience and a learning one. Overall the school is a comfortable enviorment and well managed. It is good to see how well the school is doing because they do take care of there students.

Shane

Edited by shanesplanet

Hey Heligirl03, is Northwest the place on the 2nd floor of the blue building that faces (from the south) Wings Aloft? We get our A-Star serviced at Cascade Aviation (the hangar at the flight line end of the building past the gate) and I once stopped in and spoke with a couple of the instructors (I think one of them was one of the owners?). Seemed like really nice people - we talked a bit about flying, our jobs (they knew my partner), etc. and then they offered to take me on an R22 orientation ride for free.

Seems to me you made a good choice and should feel comfortable recommending them to prospective students.

Brian

I second the Glacier post. I did my ppl there a few years ago and thought it was a great little school. I was just there last month and it has only gotten better. Mike E is a great pilot and made my comm ride a great experience and a learning one. Overall the school is a comfortable enviorment and well managed. It is good to see how well the school is doing because they do take care of there students.

Shane

I flew 9 hours with Glacier at the Skagit airport before deciding to carry on with the CHPL training with Chinook Helicopters in BC as I am dual citizen and live in BC. I am really happy with the training I received, and met Mike the owner who is a great guy. I can't speak first hand about the other Washington schools, but I definitely reccommend Glacier highly from my experience with them.

Eric

I have been at Classic now for a week and have nothing but good things to say about them. The people are friendly, the ships are immaculate, and the instruction is first rate and professional. My private checkride is this weekend and I am looking forward to continuing the rest of my training here in Seattle.

Shane

Does anyone have any info on Glaciers new tour employment opportunity that they have now?

Hey Heligirl03, is Northwest the place on the 2nd floor of the blue building that faces (from the south) Wings Aloft? We get our A-Star serviced at Cascade Aviation (the hangar at the flight line end of the building past the gate) and I once stopped in and spoke with a couple of the instructors (I think one of them was one of the owners?). Seemed like really nice people - we talked a bit about flying, our jobs (they knew my partner), etc. and then they offered to take me on an R22 orientation ride for free.

Seems to me you made a good choice and should feel comfortable recommending them to prospective students.

Brian

Yep! That's us! I walk by Cascade on my way out to the ramp everyday. Everyone is super friendly and the owner is A&P (he's usually out in the hangar fixin' stuff, you probably chatted with Doug, the CP). Ridiculously great place to learn, extremely knowledgeable, friendly, funny, safety-focussed staff. I love it there. It's small and doesn't LOOK like much, so I think lots of people head up to Classic. They're missing out in my opinion! :)

HG03

I have been at Classic now for a week and have nothing but good things to say about them. The people are friendly, the ships are immaculate, and the instruction is first rate and professional. My private checkride is this weekend and I am looking forward to continuing the rest of my training here in Seattle.

Welcome to BFI, Klmmarine! Good luck this w/e!! :)

HG03

• 2 weeks later...