Helicopter noise complaint article

Came across this article in today's paper. It's another article about the helicopter noise over Long Island.

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/l...ny-linews-print

Sitting on his living room sofa, Smithtown resident Craig Cooper forcefully shook a wooden coffee table to demonstrate a common weekend occurrence: Low-flying helicopters that often rattle windows and furniture so loudly it's hard to hold a conversation.

Some people just don't know how to have fun,if it was me I'd be sitting out on my deck in a comfy chair with a camera and an ice cold drink enjoying the traffic LOL!

And no one can say I don't know what its like either because the Army used to have a training route right over my house and 3 to 5 blackhawks would go over every night......that is until people started complaining

my first house together with my wife was across the street from Hooper stagefield at Mother Rucker...rotor blades and chain gun were music to my ears all night long....

A number of years ago the a guy sent a complaint letter to Spirit Airport's control tower, then they faxed it to all the helicopter operators in the area.

This guy claimed the helicopter traffic shook items off his shelves. His bed "violently shakes" at night as helicopters fly over--his wife's health is failing because of the helicopters. Helicopters are causing his house's foundation to crumble.

He went on to say that the airport should outlaw all helicopters except for the MD900 NOTAR. And then then operation should only be allowed between 9am-9pm on weekdays, and 11am-8pm on weekends.

It went on, and on, and on. Friggin' hilarious.....I really wish I would have kept a copy. Then we had a few other idiots that mailed letters in saying they would shoot at any helicopters that flew over--FBI took care of those for us.

Some people just don't know how to have fun,if it was me I'd be sitting out on my deck in a comfy chair with a camera and an ice cold drink enjoying the traffic LOL!

Same here! ;)

I found it funny that the guy complaining about windows and tables rattling from fly overs has only been living in his home for 3 years - the helicopters and airports were there long before that!

I was just part of some training doing Air Assault with a flight of CH-47Ds. There is a well known lady just off post known as the Horse Lady.

Needless to say, she likes to complain about the helicopters. Unfortunatly, when someone flys over or around her property, she files a complaint and the Base Chief of Staff, the pilots and their commander all have to sign a letter of appology and present it to her.

To add insult to injury, she works on the base and is a government employee.

I was wondering, what came first, the base or the Horse Lady?

Guest pokey

Aircraft noise is nothing new, been around since the Wright brothers. A few of us rented a house while in A&P school, in line w/ B-52 runway about 10 miles away. Man did those things make some noise for quite a few hours after midnight ! The one guy i was with was ex airforce & just shook the noise off as "thats the sound of freedom". Eventually i got used to it too, but? i would NEVER buy that house !

Civil sector is a bit different tho, we as pilots really should realize the rights of others that dont fly & try to "fly neighborly" as HAI? puts it.

Remember: dont fly over the same route & pi** off the same person over & over again when ya can flya a little different route everytime & pi** off the whole town---(errr, that didnt come out as i expected, but ya get the picture?)-----------remindes me of that line in american graffiti by McKenzie Phillips "yer car is almost as ugly as i am" ---ooops ! :o