Photographer Question

I have a question also. Where's the best place to mount a small video camera where there'll be little to no vibration? Also, what do you suggest for camera mounts?

Later

I have a question also. Where's the best place to mount a small video camera where there'll be little to no vibration? Also, what do you suggest for camera mounts?

Later

On a tripod, sitting on the ground. You can't simply, and legally, mount a camera in an aircraft and expect little or no vibration. Mounting the camera in that way would require some kind of permanent installation, which requires a field approval or STC, which is difficult to get at best. There is a solution, but a gyro stabilized camera is VERY expensive. So unless you want to spend a lot of money, the best place for the camera is hand held, or in a home-built handheld stabilizer. Just google "homemade steadycam" and lots of stuff will come up. I have built several, and they work like a charm.

There is a solution, but a gyro stabilized camera is VERY expensive. So unless you want to spend a lot of money, the best place for the camera is hand held, or in a home-built handheld stabilizer. Just google "homemade steadycam" and lots of stuff will come up. I have built several, and they work like a charm.

Oh these things look to be a little Mickey Mouse at best. I'm thinking it won't work for the application I need, mainly because of the weights and lack of some sort of gimble. It does give me an idea to ponder. I'm guessing springs might remove the vibration, or exacerbate it. Dang I wish I hadn't slept through that Resonance Frequency lecture at engineering school.

Later

Actually, the designs you can find online are the same as commercial models, except they are made with hardware store materials. Although they may look "mickey mouse," the results are indistinguishable from a commercial steadycam because the physics are the same. Springs by themselves would only make things worse, and then you still have the mounting issue I mentioned. You can't just bolt any old piece of hardware onto an aircraft. Sure it might work, but it ain't legal. Then again, it's your certificate, not mine.

It does depend on what you are trying to accomplish as well. As an example, I'll shoot handheld with my HD camera and stabilize it in post.... Turns out pretty nice and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for stabilization equipment.

If you watch any of the video from this link, they are all shot handheld.. No mounts or anything.... http://www.rotor-head.com/airshots.html

Edited by Shawn Adams