Flight Packet Questions

I spent 6 months trying to put a packet together with a recruiter and ended up not really getting any help at all from the recruiter. He just didn't know enough. Then I enlisted and still found myself trying to figure things out on my own. The internet was a fledgling creature, freshly hatched from the mind of Al Gore, so the access to information was still old-fashioned, detective work. Well, I made it in, but what good is knowing where all the references are that have this information needed for the process if it simply remains in my brain can?

I won't give away everything, a lot of this process is still the applicant earning it themselves. I just try to make the way a little clearer and a little less fuzzy.

Even now, with all the advances in the Internet, I've still had to use old fashion detective leg work just to get my packet ready. One thing is for certain, recruiters are an interesting bunch when the work they're putting in doesn't help them meet their goals. At any rate....I'm exciting about flying for the Army. I have my board this coming September. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your posts they are a real encouragement for those of us going through the process.

Eli

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm still waiting for a new proctor to get to Iraq for the AFAST, but I'm taking my physical in a few hours. I'm still really nervous they'll tell me I'm still disqualified. Only one way to find out though. I'll drop in again and leave an update. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Blake

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update for those that have been helping me (much appreciated by the way):

After several appointments and quite a bit of loss of sleep (I work nights and the TMC is open in the daytime), I finally finished my physical. It doesn't look like the childhood asthma is going to be in the way this time, but unfortunately, right now, I'm still disqualified. My cholesterol is a bit too high. I'm in good shape(5'11", 175 lbs, run a 13:30) and eat fairly healthy food, so I guess it's genetic. i'm going to be dieting, eating my oatmeal, and exercising hard over the next month to try to lower it within standards and I should be good to go. At least I know about this now and can make the changes I need to before it causes a problem. Again, thanks for the help. I'll update again after I get a little closer.

Blake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but I'll say it anyways... Do a google search and/or webmd and find other ways to lower your chlosterol, like cheerios for instance. And ways to raise your good chlosterol, because the way I understand it, it's on a ratio from good vs. bad.

Either way, good luck with it

CHAD

Even now, with all the advances in the Internet, I've still had to use old fashion detective leg work just to get my packet ready. One thing is for certain, recruiters are an interesting bunch when the work they're putting in doesn't help them meet their goals. At any rate....I'm exciting about flying for the Army. I have my board this coming September. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your posts they are a real encouragement for those of us going through the process.

Eli

Eli,

How did your board go? My suggestions are that you tweak your packet right up until the cutoff dates for whenever, however many boards you go through. Always show how you are improving yourself. You might get caught in a board full of studs and studettes with little or no weaknesses, and the next board you might be the stud, you never know. The one thing is for certain, if you get a fully qualified-not selected notice (FQ-NS) the only person who is going to make you stop is yourself.

Blake,

Cut out red meat, eat more fresh and green vegetables, in addition to the oatmeal, and cut out as much processed food as you realistically can over here. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Wow it's been a long time since I've been on here. Things have been hectic for a while now (I got promoted to SGT and thus got more responsibility). I've taken my AFAST now. I messed up on the complex movements. About half way through the second column, I realized that the answer I was filling in wasn't for the problem I had looked at. After finding where I messed up and fixing all of them after that, i didn't get to answer 11 of them. My total score ended up being 115. I still haven't taken my blood work to see if my cholesterol has lowered. I was doing well with the dieting and exercising for a while, but I've slacked over the last 2 weeks and want to get back into it for a couple of weeks before I take it. Other than that, nothing has really changed. I'll update when I take the blood tests.

Blake

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to if I can fit it in, but I was pushed into a tight time crunch by the WO in my section. He contacted some people for an interview (which I really appreciated) and they are trying to get it knocked out quickly. The problem is that they want the packet pretty much complete prior to the interview. I took an APFT in July, so if that will work until I can take another one, I'll need to use that. Thanks for the help.

Blake

Alright.....update. I got my total cholesterol down from 235 to 195. My LDL (the part that was keeping me back) went down from 169 to 134 so I'm good now. I have another PT test at the end of next week. I also still have to get my letters of recommendation. I'm going to try to get it all in by 01APR for the May board. It'll be tough to get it done in that amount of time, but I think I can do it. Thanks for all the help so far.

Blake

Blake,

Congrats man! that's awesome. Keep it up man, you have time. When you go for the LOR's, explain to them that you are in a time crunch, you were waiting for your flight physical, offer to type it (of course, if you want to, it may speed up the process). Hopefully they will understand, or know of someone who can push it through faster for you. Congrats again, and good luck!!

CHAD

Alright.....update. I got my total cholesterol down from 235 to 195. My LDL (the part that was keeping me back) went down from 169 to 134 so I'm good now. I have another PT test at the end of next week. I also still have to get my letters of recommendation. I'm going to try to get it all in by 01APR for the May board. It'll be tough to get it done in that amount of time, but I think I can do it. Thanks for all the help so far.

Blake

If you ever come over to the poor side of VBC, go behind the Striker DFAC to the right side until you come to the flagpole with the CAV flag on it. Come inside and ask for me by name. If I'm flying, leave your number for me. Edited by Linc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm almost finished with my packet. I should have it in by the end of the month. I just have one more question. One of the items in the checklist is:

Physical Coversheet USAREC Form 1932 (Aviation - expires after 18 months, all others expire at 24 months. If waiver or exception to policy required, applicant needs to send complete physical. 153A applicants need to send DD 2808 with Stamp from USAAMC, Ft. Rucker)

Does this mean that I have to have a Form 1932 AND DD2808 or is just the 2808 with the QUALIFIED stamp enough? All I was given is the 2808 and I'm wondering if I need to go back. Thanks.

Blake

That's a bit confusing. I never had to send anything other than the aviation physical. Best bet is to ask the WO Recruiting team what the right answer is.

I don't know for certain, however, I do think it should be, AND... if it's not, it should just be kicked back as 'need more information'. the only thing is that you will have to keep an eye on this. Linc, what do you think about that?? I would just hate to think you are holding onto your app just for something that you may or may not have everything.

CHAD

A quick update followed by a couple of questions. As long as my meeting with the BN CSM goes OK tomorrow, I should be able to get my interview with the BN Commander soon and have my packet submitted by the end of next week. We'll see how it goes.

Now for the questions. About how long, after the end of the board dates, does it take for the results to be posted?

Is Ft Rucker a PCS move or TDY? The reason I ask is my wife. She is in the Army also and if it is PCS and I get accepted, she should be able to move out there with me, right? If it is TDY, I think that means I would be stuck away from her for a while longer. I'm not too sure how this works. So far the Married Army Couples Program has been good to us, but I'm not sure how this situation would apply. Thanks.

Blake