Need flight suit

Hallo guys!

I´m looking for a helicopter flight suit (in black or green) in size "M". Price should be not more than 100$. Please no Ebay! Has someone an idea where i can find it?

Thanks for hints!

good luck...think $150-175 might get you something...www.flightsuits.com or www.wings-aviation.com

Are You kidding? Why do you need a flight suit? If it is a company requirement, I'm sure they will provide one. If it is a USFS requirement, your company will provide one. If it is to look "cool" flying around in your Robbie, then just please,,,,,don't. You'll look like a fool.

Zoom Bags, Green Skin, Poopie Bags, Zoot Suits are mandated by Uncle Sam. While you may think they look cool, they are hot and not the most comfortable when it's above 80. All the pocket are convenient, they are not what you want to wear everyday. I wore them for 15 years. I'd much rather wear some dockers and a polo shirt.

So just spool down there spunkmire and dress for comfort.

Bayou06

I'll second Bayou... I wore them in the military. If its warm, I feel the fatigue and consequential dehydration they cause is probably more dangerous than the physical safety they provide. Be comfortable...

Last time I wore a flight suit was with my flight helmet and toga to a costume party when I was in character as purposely poorly portrayed Pontius Pilate (spelled it "Pilot" on my name tag as a joke). Know I'm opinionated in saying so, but... ...I do think they look silly getting out of a robbie, and a little more dignified exiting a H-60 or similar if you're mandated to wear one. Wear it and realize some people may be holding back their laughter.

(hmmm... "...purposely poorly portrayed Pontius Pilate...". Say that five times fast :P )

A flight helmet makes a little more sense... In a crash, bumps can always occur. Fires much rarer, which is what the Nomex is for. It's rolling the dice of course, in any case. I know some may disagree on some points presented here... I'm even open to having my mind changed - if someone comes up with a situation that makes more logical sense, and I'll consider it. ...Statistics on post crash fires in helicopters anyone? For the time being, it's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

If the costume idea gets copied, hope I get some credit. :lol:

Edited by nbit

Oh somebody's gonna like me! Go to http://www.flightsuits.com/clear_unif_nmx_men.html

and look at their clearance stuff. I mean a $250 for $99? How good of a deal is that?

You can thank me with a can of vienna sausage. For some reason I have a craving for them right now.

Later

Are You kidding? Why do you need a flight suit? If it is a company requirement, I'm sure they will provide one. If it is a USFS requirement, your company will provide one. If it is to look "cool" flying around in your Robbie, then just please,,,,,don't. You'll look like a fool.

Zoom Bags, Green Skin, Poopie Bags, Zoot Suits are mandated by Uncle Sam. While you may think they look cool, they are hot and not the most comfortable when it's above 80. All the pocket are convenient, they are not what you want to wear everyday. I wore them for 15 years. I'd much rather wear some dockers and a polo shirt.

So just spool down there spunkmire and dress for comfort.

Bayou06

Do you always worry bout what others think you look like?What your wearing?Etc? Perhaps a flight suit is in my opinion the most comfortable thing to fly in.Not being a smart a## just thought I would toss that in.

" Wear it and realize some people may be holding back their laughter."
A student was wearing his in the simulator once when I was in class, oh man that was something. I thought as a joke when practicing EP's about bringing some dirt and a wool blanket.You just never know when that crazy thing will catch fire on ya. :lol: Seriously though watch what you where under them as some materials may melt to your skin. Edited by wannabe heli pilot

Please don't wear Dockers. It's 2007... Not 1989.

Maveric-

As Witch mentioned, Flightsuits/Gibson & Barnes probably have the best deals on clearance suits, but you might have to compromise on color, nomex weight or excess pockets. I would suggest looking there first.

I remain a little suprised by some of the previous comments; A LOT of assumption by some as to what maveric needs one for...flying? a party? maybe he can sell it to a friend for 30K? Hey maybe the dude has a knockout girlfriend that likes to see him wear it? Maybe he'll use it to work under the hood and not get a greased up. Seriously, WTF folks??? When I read some of the replies, I had to relate this topic to motorcylists....there are those who wear the helmet and full armor, some that wear a helmet jeans and gloves, and some who wear just shorts and a tank top (or bikini). When the "inevitable" event occurs, all thing being equal, who will have the best chance of survival?

As for safety, we all have our own opinions about hazards and risks and mitigation measures and mechanisms and I appreciate the spectrum. I get that "appearance" and "comfort" take precedence for some. But don't slam others for what their standards are. If you want to laugh yer a$$es off seeing somebody wearing a flightsuit for what might appear to be no reason, have at it. I know many professionals who go to FlightSafety for sim time and wear their suits, just because it's what they normally wear when flying and thet's part of the typical environment they'll be reacting to. I also have many DoD pals that do the same thing in the mil sims.

Here's a few reports with aircraft fires - usually post crash stuff, like when you might get knocked out for a few seconds and suddenly come back throught to clothing burning off or plastic burning into the skin. I'm only posting these as examples of what could happen and, for some, has; I don't know if the initial inpact/crash event or fire was the main source of injuries (or potential injuries in cases), but something worthy of consideration. Not a big percentage from all of the accident types, but can clothing make a difference in survival? Again, all things being equal, I wonder if aircrew/passengers who had post-impact burn injuries would have preferred nomex.

NTSB Identification: ATL07GA087

14 CFR Public Use

Accident occurred Tuesday, June 05, 2007 in Cedar Town, GA

Aircraft: Bell 206B, registration: N912SP

Injuries: 3 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On June 5, 2007 at 1444 eastern daylight time, a Bell 206B Helicopter, N912SP, registered to and operated by the Georgia State Patrol Aviation Section, operating as a public use aircraft, collided with the ground in a heavily wooded area, in Cedar Town, Georgia. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local flight. The helicopter was destroyed by impact and subsequent post-crash fire. The commercial pilot and two passengers received serious injuries. The flight originated from the Cobb-County Airport in Kennesaw, Georgia on June 5, 2007, at an undetermined time.

Examination of the accident site found that the helicopter had impacted into and between trees in a nearly vertical attitude. The helicopter came to rest on a 305-degree magnetic heading.

NTSB Identification: SEA07LA135

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Monday, May 28, 2007 in Columbus, MT

Aircraft: Hughes 369D, registration: N765HV

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 2 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On May 28, 2007, approximately 1340 mountain daylight time, a Hughes 369D helicopter, N765HV, impacted the terrain after experiencing a power loss near Columbus, Montana. The commercial pilot and one crew member received serious injuries, and a second crew member received fatal injuries. The aircraft, which was owned and operated by Dylan Aviation, LLC., was destroyed by the impact and the post-crash fire. The 14 CFR Part 91 aerial observation flight, which departed Billings, Montana, about an hour and 20 minutes prior to the accident, was being operated in visual meteorological conditions. The crews planned destination has not yet been determined. No flight plan had been filed. There was no report of an ELT activation.

According to the pilot, the aircraft suddenly lost all engine power, and during his attempt at an emergency autorotational landing, the aircraft impacted the terrain and caught on fire. The remains of the aircraft and engine have been recovered for further examination.

NTSB Identification: CHI07CA124.

The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division

Accident occurred Saturday, April 28, 2007 in Kalamazoo, MI

Probable Cause Approval Date: 6/27/2007

Aircraft: Wilkinson Daniel V Rotorway Exec 90, registration: N52988

Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

The helicopter was destroyed by impact forces and a post crash fire while attempting an auto-rotation after a mechanical failure. The pilot stated that he was practicing takeoffs, hovering, and quick stops above the runway. After takeoff, at about 50 feet and 50mph, he lowered the collective to initiate a quick stop. At this point the engine RPM revved up out of control. He pulled up on the collective to re-engage the drive system, but the system would not engage. He entered into an auto-rotation, and as he neared the ground the helicopter began to slide sideways, folding the skids under the helicopter. The helicopter then rolled on its side, and the occupants climbed out prior to the post crash fire. Subsequent examination of the helicopter's drive system revealed that the drive shafts, pulleys, and drive belts were intact. The only device within the helicopter drive system that could not be determined to be in working condition was the sprag clutch which transmits engine power to the rotor drive system. The sprag clutch was not examined during the course of the investigation.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The failure of the sprag clutch which resulted in the disengagement of the drive unit and the pilot's misjudged landing during the autorotation. A factor was the low altitude at which the failure occurred.

NTSB Identification: DEN07FA079

Accident occurred Tuesday, March 27, 2007 in Ponte Verde Bch, FL

Aircraft: Robinson R44 II, registration: N744SH

Injuries: 2 Fatal.

On March 27, 2007, approximately 1030 eastern daylight time, a Robinson R44 II single-engine helicopter, was destroyed when it impacted terrain following a loss of control during cruise flight near Ponte Verde Beach, Florida. The flight instructor and student pilot were fatally injured. The helicopter was registered to and operated by Silver State Helicopters, LLC, North Las Vegas, Nevada. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a company visual flight rules flight plan was filed for the Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 instructional flight. The local flight departed the Craig Municipal Airport (CRG), Jacksonville, Florida, approximately 1010.

According to Silver State personnel, the local flight was scheduled for a time block between the hours of 0900 and 1100. The instructional flight was originally scheduled to be conducted in the R22; however, due to a scheduling conflict, the R22 was not available. Due to the conflict, the Silver State local management then allowed the instructor and student to conduct an orientation and familiarization flight in the R44 helicopter. The route of flight was scheduled for a east departure from CRG, south along the Atlantic Ocean coastline to St. Augustine, then back to CRG.

Several witnesses observed the helicopter approximately 200-500 feet above ground level (agl) in cruise flight along the coastline on a south heading. One witness, a former pilot and mechanic, reported he observed the helicopter in straight and level flight, then heard a change in "rotor noise, followed by a bang/pop/twang sound." The helicopter then "snap-rolled" to the left and descended into the terrain in a nose low attitude. The helicopter impacted the sand terrain, bounced, and came to rest near the low tide water line. A post-impact fire ensued and extinguished itself a short time thereafter.

NTSB Identification: ATL07LA052

Accident occurred Saturday, March 17, 2007 in Huntsville, AL

Aircraft: Bell 47G2A, registration: None

Injuries: 1 Serious, 1 Minor.

On March 17, 2007 at 0907 central daylight time, an unregistered Bell 47G2A, operated by a private individual, as a 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight, lost engine power and collided with the ground during an autorotation landing, near Huntsville, Alabama. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident and no flight plan was filed. The helicopter was destroyed by impact forces and a post crash fire. The commercial-rated pilot received minor injuries and the passenger was seriously injured. The flight originated from the Moontown Airport, Huntsville, Alabama, on March 17, 2007, at 0900.

The pilot stated, that he had purchased the helicopter 2 days prior to the accident and did not get a chance to register the helicopter. On the day of the accident the pilot decided to take his friend over to the Madison County Executive Airport (MDQ) on a short flight. While enroute to MDQ the engine lost power and the pilot was unable to maintain rotor rpm. The pilot stated that he was at a low altitude and could not turn the helicopter 180 degrees into the wind. He landed the helicopter hard, and it nosed over. The helicopter burst into flames and the pilot and passenger exited the helicopter. First responders to the crash site reported that the helicopter was consumed by fire.

NTSB Identification: LAX05FA189.

The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division

Accident occurred Saturday, May 28, 2005 in Lucerne Valley, CA

Probable Cause Approval Date: 1/31/2007

Aircraft: Robinson R44, registration: N7015Q

Injuries: 3 Serious.

On May 28, 2005, about 1150 Pacific daylight time, a Robinson R44, N7015Q, impacted terrain while maneuvering during low-level flight near Lucerne Valley, California. Concrete Paving Contractors, Inc., was operating the helicopter under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The owner, a private pilot, a certified flight instructor (CFI) safety pilot, and one passenger were seriously injured; the helicopter was destroyed following a post impact fire. The local personal flight departed Redlands, California, at 0951. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed. The approximate global positioning system (GPS) coordinates of the primary wreckage were 34 degrees 37.46 minutes north latitude and 116 degrees 41.02 minutes west longitude.

Witnesses observed the helicopter in the area, flying low during a desert off road race. The helicopter crossed the racecourse on a southbound heading. Witness reported that shortly after crossing the racecourse it appeared that the helicopter was attempting to reverse course back towards the north. The helicopter pitched nose down and leveled off just before it impacted into a dry streambed. Upon impact, the helicopter burst into flames. All three people on board the helicopter sustained burns while exiting the burning helicopter.

NTSB Identification: DFW07LA027

Accident occurred Sunday, November 26, 2006 in Brownwood, TX

Aircraft: Bell BH 206L-3, registration: N805SB

Injuries: 3 Uninjured.

On November 26, 2006, approximately 1730 central standard time, a single-engine Bell 206L-3 helicopter, N805SB, was substantially damaged during a forced landing to a clearing following a total loss of engine power approximately 3 miles south of the Brownwood Regional Airport (BWD), near Brownwood, Texas. The helicopter was registered to Air Evac EMS Incorporated, of West Plains, Missouri, and was being operated by Air Evac Lifeteam. The airline transport pilot, flight nurse, and the paramedic were not injured. A company flight plan was filed for the positioning flight that departed Abilene, Texas, about 1650, and was destined for Brownwood. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight conducted under 14 Code of Federal Regulations part 91.

In a written statement, the pilot reported that the flight was uneventful until he initiated his descent into the Brownwood Airport the helicopter experienced a sudden "explosion" followed by the helicopter yawing to the left. He also observed debris in his peripheral vision, and noticed that the engine over-temperature light was illuminated. The pilot immediately entered an autorotation from an altitude of 600 to 700 feet above ground level and continued straight ahead over a small lake, a tree, and a berm toward a clearing. The pilot pilot added that he was forced to increase collective pitch in order to clear the berm, and in doing so, lost main rotor RPM while the helicopter was approximately 10 feet above the ground. The helicopter landed hard and remained in the upright position. After the pilot and the two passengers exited the aircraft, the pilot noted a small fire in the engine compartment and used the onboard fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.

NTSB Identification: ANC06WA139

Nonscheduled 14 CFR Non-U.S., Commercial operation of Heli-Lift International Inc.

Accident occurred Sunday, September 24, 2006 in Stony Rapids, Canada

Aircraft: Bell 204B, registration: C-GSHK

Injuries: 1 Fatal.

On September 24, 2006, about 2350 universal coordinated time (UTC), a Bell 204B helicopter, Canadian registration C-GSHK, operated by Heli-Lift International Inc., Yorkton, Saskatchewan, Canada, departed from Stony Rapids, Saskatchewan, on a VFR flight with an external load for an unknown destination. At 2340 UTC, the pilot reported via radio that he had experienced a problem with a door. The helicopter was observed to descend to the ground where it was destroyed by impact and postimpact fire. The pilot, the sole occupant, received fatal injuries.

More reports are available if anybody is interested. And there's bound to be more in the future.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Please don't wear Dockers. It's 2007... Not 1989.

What's wrong with Dockers?

I just looked around the airline lounge and my fellow male travelers are mostly wearing Dockers. I also wear Tommy Hilfiger slacks, but besides the branding, they all look the same.

Hey maybe the dude has a knockout girlfriend that likes to see him wear it?

Or Maybe........

Nice_Flightsuit.jpg

.................... well you get the idea.

Hey arotrhd

After reading your post with all of the ground collisions, I'm thinking I ought to wear my helmet and flightsuit more often.

Better yet, maybe I ought to wear them at work, home, at the movies, in the shower, while camping... One can never be too safe?

Really ya'll, if you don't want to wear the stuff, don't. Personally, I like the bobble head look.

On another note, I was watching one of the tabloid news shows, Inside Hollywood I think, and a story about the paparazzi caught my interest. A celebrity-I don't know who-had chased a few paparazzi down and was threatening one of them. Here's the funny part: He was riding a motorcycle wearing an Alpha Flight helmet. I was laughing a bit hard after seeing that. Guy riding a Hyabusa wearing an Alpha flight helmet. I guess in Hollywood, if you can afford it, get it. I wonder if he upgraded it with Oregon Aero stuff?

Later

Nomex and a helmet will save your life. It does not make you impervious to fire but gives you that extra 8 to 10 seconds you need to get out alive. There are those who will mock people who wear safety gear, they are idiots. I think anyone who flies robbies should wear at least a Nomex flight suit and gloves. The fuel tanks are right behind your seat. If you crash in a robbie and the tank ruptures, where is all that gas going to go? Nomex will limit the amount of burns you will get if used properly. They suck to wear during the summer but if something goes wrong you will be glad you did it.

I ride sportbikes too and belong to a pretty large sportbike enthusiast group. Last year someone was pointing out it was too hot to wear all the armor gear that most of us wear on our group rides. Sure enough he low sided and went down in a turn doing about 60. Just a helmet for safety gear, T-shirt and shorts. His whole right side looks like ground beef now.

Never under estimate the benefits of safety gear. There are plenty of examples of flight crews who were better off in a crash because of their safety gear. The idea is not to look sexy, the idea is to protect you from significant damage.

Maveric,

You can find some real good deals on Ebay for "New" and "Unused" flight suits. A lot of guys (and gals) come back from the gulf having never worn some of the issued suits. I have seen them as low as $35 at the end of the auction.

Here is the current list of "New" flight suits, all under $100.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...ntrypage=search

Mav,

There are also two-piece flight suits out there that are a little more comfortable to wear than the one-piece. I'm not sure if you can buy them through some of the vendors mentioned above but you might consider looking for them. The best are tan colored if you can find them.

Fuse,

The sizes on military spec flight suits are in chest size and then either short, regular or long. The best way to find the right fit is to try one. Also, you will want to them to fit a little on the baggy side. The two piece units are sized small, medium, large, etc. The tag should also have a chest size range and a height range for the top and a waist and inseam range for the bottom. For example, a medium regular pant size will accomodate a waist size from 31 to 35 inches and an inseam size from 29 1/2 to 32 1/2 inches. Hope this helps.

Fred

Permision,

You don't know what you're talking about. You are obviously a rookie or a wanna be or both. 99.9% of ALL PROFESSIONAL civil aviation is done in slacks and a uniform type shirt. We'll not even factor the private avation operations each year. The number of post crash fire injuries are minute at best. The military uses them due to the inherent risk of their flight profile (combat, low level, NVG, multi-ship, ect). You can keep on blathering and keep on looking foolish or try to listen to those who know what they are talking about.

Bayou06

Nomex and a helmet will save your life. It does not make you impervious to fire but gives you that extra 8 to 10 seconds you need to get out alive. There are those who will mock people who wear safety gear, they are idiots. I think anyone who flies robbies should wear at least a Nomex flight suit and gloves. The fuel tanks are right behind your seat. If you crash in a robbie and the tank ruptures, where is all that gas going to go? Nomex will limit the amount of burns you will get if used properly. They suck to wear during the summer but if something goes wrong you will be glad you did it.

I ride sportbikes too and belong to a pretty large sportbike enthusiast group. Last year someone was pointing out it was too hot to wear all the armor gear that most of us wear on our group rides. Sure enough he low sided and went down in a turn doing about 60. Just a helmet for safety gear, T-shirt and shorts. His whole right side looks like ground beef now.

Never under estimate the benefits of safety gear. There are plenty of examples of flight crews who were better off in a crash because of their safety gear. The idea is not to look sexy, the idea is to protect you from significant damage.

Maveric,

You can find some real good deals on Ebay for "New" and "Unused" flight suits. A lot of guys (and gals) come back from the gulf having never worn some of the issued suits. I have seen them as low as $35 at the end of the auction.

Here is the current list of "New" flight suits, all under $100.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...ntrypage=search

Permision,

You don't know what you're talking about. 99.9% of ALL PROFESSIONAL civil aviation is done in slacks and a uniform type shirt. We'll not even factor the private avation operations each year. The number of post crash fire injuries are minute at best. The military uses them due to the inherent risk of their flight profile (combat, low level, NVG, multi-ship, ect). You can keep on blathering and keep on looking foolish or try to listen to those who know what they are talking about.

Bayou06

Permision,

You don't know what you're talking about. 99.9% of ALL PROFESSIONAL civil aviation is done in slacks and a uniform type shirt. We'll not even factor the private avation operations each year. The number of post crash fire injuries are minute at best. The military uses them due to the inherent risk of their flight profile (combat, low level, NVG, multi-ship, ect). You can keep on blathering and keep on looking foolish or try to listen to those who know what they are talking about.

Bayou06

Permision,

You don't know what you're talking about. You are obviously a rookie or a wanna be or both. 99.9% of ALL PROFESSIONAL civil aviation is done in slacks and a uniform type shirt. We'll not even factor the private avation operations each year. The number of post crash fire injuries are minute at best. The military uses them due to the inherent risk of their flight profile (combat, low level, NVG, multi-ship, ect). You can keep on blathering and keep on looking foolish or try to listen to those who know what they are talking about.

Bayou06

Bayou06, why the harsh response? I am a former Army aviator (OH-58) and hold commercial licenses in both fixed wing and rotory wing aircraft with over 20 years of experiance. Not all of the industry wears helmets and flights suits but a lot do. At least 90% of the EMS, 100% of LEO, 100% of the gov service contracts require it. I don't have any GOM, corporate or tour experience. I do have utility, military, and gov service experience and all require Nomex flight suits, and helmets. We have different experience in the industry, no reason at all to respond the way you did. It makes you look inexperienced and unprofessional. Let’s try to be professional in our responses here least this forum turn into another “Just Helicopters”.

Permison

Oh somebody's gonna like me! Go to http://www.flightsuits.com/clear_unif_nmx_men.html

and look at their clearance stuff. I mean a $250 for $99? How good of a deal is that?

You can thank me with a can of vienna sausage. For some reason I have a craving for them right now.

Yup, thats where I got mine. I am fortunate enough to live close by so I went there, go tmeasured, and picked out two of them. Saved me a bunch of money and brand new! These are not used flight suits.