Introduction flight around NYC?

Hello,

I am looking for a birthday present for my boyfriend.

He's always dreamed about flying a helicopter but I don't think he's been in one. If he has, he definitely wasn't able to touch the controls. I was searching the web and found out that there are intro flights that let you do that. We're currently living in Spain, and all I found so far were intro flights for over 500 dollars. We'll be in Long Island in a few weeks, so I thought maybe I can just schedule a flight there.

Does anyone have recommendations for flight schools, and can you tell me how much I have to expect to pay for this? Also, he's not a US citizen. Would that cause problems insurancewise? We'll just be in the US for a few weeks on a visa waiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

There was a school on Long Island at Republic airport that had a great instructor named Tom who was a NYPD officer who instructed there, really good school. Dont wory about being a citizen Tom can take care of that(police priviledge)

That would be Long Island Helicopter, although Tom is no longer working there.

There was a school on Long Island at Republic airport

Last I heard the school at Republic was shut down, I don't know if they have reopened. There is another school in Islip / Lake Ronkonkoma area, Helicopter Flight Training. They can't take you into Manhattan if you ask for a tour, but you can do a photo flight and get there.

No one can 'get around' the TSA requirments, not even NYPD officers who own thier own school. You do not need to be a US Citizen to take a demo or photo flight, only to recieve flight instruction

Hello,

I am looking for a birthday present for my boyfriend.

He's always dreamed about flying a helicopter but I don't think he's been in one. If he has, he definitely wasn't able to touch the controls. I was searching the web and found out that there are intro flights that let you do that. We're currently living in Spain, and all I found so far were intro flights for over 500 dollars. We'll be in Long Island in a few weeks, so I thought maybe I can just schedule a flight there.

Does anyone have recommendations for flight schools, and can you tell me how much I have to expect to pay for this? Also, he's not a US citizen. Would that cause problems insurancewise? We'll just be in the US for a few weeks on a visa waiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Wings LLC in White Plaines, NY. It's 35 minutes from Grand Central and a 14 dollar cab ride to the airport (West Air Terminal) Ask for Magnus.

http://www.wingsair.net/index.php

Hi everyone,

thanks for your help.

Has anyone had experience with the schools mentioned here?

I emailed Long Island Helicopter, the one at Republic Airport, but am a bit worried now that people here are saying it is shut down. Does anyone know about the one in Ronkonkoma? We will be staying in Huntington, so a school on Long Island would really be much more convenient than elsewhere. But I want to be sure to pick a good school as well, that should come first. We will have a car available.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

I used to work as an instructor at Helicopter Flight Training (Eastern Helicopter) which is the school in Lake Ronkonkoma (Islip Airport). It had as of April 1 R44 and 2 R22's. Demo flights for non-us citizens was not a problem. Just give them a call, they should be able to take care of you, ask for Pete, tell em Aaron sent you (that may not get you any discount, but you can try). The owners. They have been in buisness for over 25 years, so they aren't going to close up shop anytime soon.

Good aircraft, good maint, great airport to fly out of.

Hi everyone,

thanks for your help.

Has anyone had experience with the schools mentioned here?

I emailed Long Island Helicopter, the one at Republic Airport, but am a bit worried now that people here are saying it is shut down. Does anyone know about the one in Ronkonkoma? We will be staying in Huntington, so a school on Long Island would really be much more convenient than elsewhere. But I want to be sure to pick a good school as well, that should come first. We will have a car available.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Long Island Helicopter is not shut down, I flew there 3 days last week. As of right now they only have 1 helicopter and it was down for maintenance for a while due to some delays and problems, but it's up and running again. They have a second R22 ordered and last I heard it was due off the line at Robinson Aug. 24th so they should have it by early September.