SSH Crash in Boise Idaho today

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories...n.a7c766c9.html

UPDATE: Helicopter crashes at Boise Airport

10:58 AM MDT on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

KTVB.COM

Latest on helicopter crash

BOISE - Crews are responding to a helicopter down at the Boise Airport.

Officials confirm a helicopter crashed on runway three - the south strip of the airport near Gowen Road at about 8:50 a.m.

The aircraft involved is civilian - not military, according to a Gowen Field spokesperson.

A Boise Airport operations worker told our crew on the scene that two people were on board the aircraft, and both are being taken to a local hospital with unknown injuries.

Gary Allen with airport operations says the helicopter is licensed to Silver State Helicopters. Allen says the people aboard were an instructor and a student. He says the seats inside the helicopter "collapsed."

This small helicopter crashed on the Boise Airport runway Friday morning.

It is unknown what caused the crash. The incident was initially classified as a hard landing, but crews now say it was a crash.

A Boise Airport spokesperson notes that the runway where the accident happened is a "closed" facility, where test flights and other activates are held. The accident is not affecting airport operations.

Silver State Helicopters is based in Las Vegas, Nevada and has offices across the country, including in Boise.

Idaho's News Channel is on the scene, stay with Idaho's #1 website KTVB.COM for updates

My money's on yet another botched full-down in an R22.

I feel lucky that I've gotten to do a few without balling one up :mellow:

Dave.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories...n.a7c766c9.html

UPDATE: Helicopter crashes at Boise Airport

10:58 AM MDT on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

KTVB.COM

Latest on helicopter crash

BOISE - Crews are responding to a helicopter down at the Boise Airport.

Officials confirm a helicopter crashed on runway three - the south strip of the airport near Gowen Road at about 8:50 a.m.

The aircraft involved is civilian - not military, according to a Gowen Field spokesperson.

A Boise Airport operations worker told our crew on the scene that two people were on board the aircraft, and both are being taken to a local hospital with unknown injuries.

Gary Allen with airport operations says the helicopter is licensed to Silver State Helicopters. Allen says the people aboard were an instructor and a student. He says the seats inside the helicopter "collapsed."

This small helicopter crashed on the Boise Airport runway Friday morning.

It is unknown what caused the crash. The incident was initially classified as a hard landing, but crews now say it was a crash.

A Boise Airport spokesperson notes that the runway where the accident happened is a "closed" facility, where test flights and other activates are held. The accident is not affecting airport operations.

Silver State Helicopters is based in Las Vegas, Nevada and has offices across the country, including in Boise.

Idaho's News Channel is on the scene, stay with Idaho's #1 website KTVB.COM for updates

My money's on yet another botched full-down in an R22.

I feel lucky that I've gotten to do a few without balling one up :mellow:

Dave.

The spokesman from the school says that they were trying a "power recovery" which, to me, makes it sound like they tried to recover but couldn't get enough power for some reason. My first impression was they failed to do the pre-landing checklist and ended up with Carb Ice.

I could be wrong, I am kinda new at all this flyin stuff ;) But I know that I will pay a lot more attention to the checks in the future. The important thing is that everyone walked away this time. Anybody else have a quick armchair pilot interpretation?

The spokesman from the school says that they were trying a "power recovery" which, to me, makes it sound like they tried to recover but couldn't get enough power for some reason. My first impression was they failed to do the pre-landing checklist and ended up with Carb Ice.

I could be wrong, I am kinda new at all this flyin stuff ;) But I know that I will pay a lot more attention to the checks in the future. The important thing is that everyone walked away this time. Anybody else have a quick armchair pilot interpretation?

That's a good point - certainly more than one pilot has been caught out by forgetting to push the carb heat back off (I've done it once, but fortunately didn't bend metal as a result!).

I might've been a little quick on the trigger on this one - whenever I see a crumpled R22 and the copy says "training flight at the airport" I skip right to "botched auto".

Dave.

That's a good point - certainly more than one pilot has been caught out by forgetting to push the carb heat back off (I've done it once, but fortunately didn't bend metal as a result!).

I meant that they forgot to pull it in in the first place. (Thus the rant about pre-landing checks) If I remember correctly the Robinson Awareness video outlines almost this exact situation. They were doing autos without CarbHeat and weren't able to recover with power, they called the A&P and the same thing happened to him when he came in in another ship. This was the reason they added the instructions, "Below 18" of manifold pressure ignore gauge and apply full Carb Heat."

Again I might be completely wrong, as it is very easy to sit here at my computer and guess about what the other guy did wrong. But my scenario sounds plausible to me...