Military helicopters with high Vne

A fixed-wing CFI friend posed the question how does a Cobra attain a Vne of 222 kt without running into retreating blade stall. Others include:

AH-64 197 kt

Ka-50 210 kt

UH-60 194 kt

The numbers are from Jane's.

The only thing I could guess is that they have lower rotor tip speeds than GA helicopters, but I don't have a clue as to what the side effects of that might be. Anybody know?

Hey,

The 64 is a little slower than the Cobra. Most Cobras are 170-190 kts max vne. While the 64 is 145-150 kts.

I remember reading about this somewhere???? I am thinking it is a specific airfoil design, blade twist, construction combination designed for a specific application, that yields a higher vne.

The F model Cobra has a 1,800 shp turbine, the G has a 1,100 shp, the J has twin 1,800 shp, and the W model has twin 1,600 shp range!

Carson Helicopters has a retrofit blade for a Sick Horskey S61 that increases load, cruise speed, and doubles the life limit over the factory Sick Horskey blades.

Have you ever researched airfoils? I am thinking there are thousands of them both good designs and not so good. I had seen a book on nothing but airfoils and it was thick with many cross views of airfoils. I found it so boring I never finished reading it.

Later

It's been a while but if memory serves:

AH-64A Vne standard day is ~180's, Vh with wing stores etc is ~140's

Vh is where the power available value meets the high speed end of the total drag curve. i.e. 100% Tq straight and level gives you Vh.

You can get a whole bunch more speed in a dive with power applied.

For the higher Vne's, my guess would be the swept blade tips / advanced designs and airfoil designs. Also, civil manufacturers may want to publish larger safety margins = lower Vne values on the charts. All guesses though, it's been awhile since I read about compressibility and RBS

R.W. Prouty probably has an unreadable article out there about this.

To avoid retreating blade stall, you want higher Nr, not lower. More blades also helps. Having a tailwind or a headwind has absolutely no effect on airspeed. The helicopter has no idea what the wind is doing, if anything, when in forward flight. I've seen >200 knots groundspeed, but the airspeed was <150. Vne is for airspeed, not groundspeed.

To avoid retreating blade stall, you want higher Nr, not lower...
I stand corrected. Thank you, sir. Lord knows I've heard enough stories about how the Cobra could get to RBS. Just came along a tad bit late in the game...