Two news helicopters collide in Phoenix.

Two helicopters collide over Phoenix

PHOENIX (AP) -- Two television news helicopters collided Friday and crashed while covering a police pursuit, killing at least two people.

Both helicopters went down in a park in central Phoenix and caught fire.

The collision happened as the two choppers broadcast live coverage of police pursuing a truck. Cameras aboard both aircraft were pointed at the ground, so viewers did not witness the accident. The first indication of trouble came when pictures from the helicopters went dead.

Television station KNXV reported that it owned one of the choppers. The other was from KTVT, which reported that both the pilot and photographer were killed in the crash.

Just before the collision, the driver of the truck that was being pursued had jumped out of pickup and carjacked another truck.

News helicopters from other television stations were also in the area.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE.

PHOENIX (AP) - Two television news helicopters collided Friday and crashed while covering a police pursuit, killing at least two people.

Both helicopters went down in a park in central Phoenix and caught fire.

Television station KNXV reported that it owned one of the choppers. The other was from KTVT, which reported that both the pilot and photographer were killed in the crash.

Very sad stuff. Seems like a bunch of accidents lately jeez.

My prayers are with those pilots and their families.

Jordan

Someone mentioned this on JH....it seems commonplace for the pilot to also be the reporter....seems like the safety of this type of configuration may be something that goes under scrutiny in the future in light of this accident, as it appears that both pilots weren't aware of each other.

I hope that the news channels will switch to a 3 person crew. In my option it's too much of a workload to have the pilot doing the report. You should have a reporter and a camera man on board. This accident occurred in class Bravo airspace (real close to Sky Harbor airport), I can’t imagine having to: fly, monitor frequencies, talk to PHX tower, all while doing live newscast.

Edited by ChprPlt

I just recently signed up for commercial flight training with Guidance Helicopters here in Prescott, Arizona. This really hits close to my heart. God bless the victims families and friends and co-workers.

I have been reading the breaking news all day at work, and now that I'm home I'm watching the TV. News channel 3 has shut down regular programming and is reflecting on the victims lives. News Channel 15 is running their regular programming. Kinda reflects on what type of companies these are.

My heart felt condolences and prayers go out to the families, friends, and colleagues of the two ENG crews. This hits very close to home for anybody who flies helicopters, be it for pleasure or for a living... It is a constant reminder of the risk that is involved in rotorcraft aviation or aviation in general for that matter. It often takes a terrible tragedy like this for us to look at our own risk management skills. A truly sad, sad day. Again my prayers go out to those of you that knew these four individuals. [/color]

Video from one of the helicopters in the crash:

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/3645.html

Nicepants, this is no dig on you whatsoever; this video makes me sick and has no value to those of us who fly or anyone. If I, god forbid, ever got into an urecoverable situation which resulted in my death I would like nothing this personal to be proliferated on a website for pilots or especially rubberneckers. I talked to my brother tonite, a non pilot about this, and he compared this kind of video to a snuff film. I think most of us realize the consequences of our passion and dont need such a stark reminder. I think there is real value in seeing the video of accidents...this doesnt fall into that category. I wish I hadnt heard it and I dont know this man, imagine if this was your friend or relative. And I suggest you remove the link. Again, no offense. Just opinion.

RIP

Nicepants, this is no dig on you whatsoever; this video makes me sick and has no value to those of us who fly or anyone. If I, god forbid, ever got into an urecoverable situation which resulted in my death I would like nothing this personal to be proliferated on a website for pilots or especially rubberneckers. I talked to my brother tonite, a non pilot about this, and he compared this kind of video to a snuff film. I think most of us realize the consequences of our passion and dont need such a stark reminder. I think there is real value in seeing the video of accidents...this doesnt fall into that category. I wish I hadnt heard it and I dont know this man, imagine if this was your friend or relative. And I suggest you remove the link. Again, no offense. Just opinion.

RIP

I second that. Being in an accident myself five months ago that kinda stuff just makes me sick. The news will never know what the hell their talking about. If anything thats what people will do is talk and Monday night quarterback it, with out knowing what the hell really happened. You should remove the link.

News channel 3 has shut down regular programming and is reflecting on the victims lives. News Channel 15 is running their regular programming. Kinda reflects on what type of companies these are.

Wow, that really hits close to home. I trained in Chandler AZ at Quantum Helicopters. This is a very tragic accident. My heart goes out to the families and friends of all involved. I did not know that there was two pilots for channel 3, I just knew of Bruce, the primary pilot.

Just on another note, News Channel 3 is an independant, local news station, and very family oriented, unlike news 15.

--CM

Many prayers to the families. Just speaking for myself, after viewing the link, that video has been imprinted in the back of my mind and sadly I will never forget it. It just shows the danger of this industry. Maybe this video will keep from having a pilot with a happy-go-lucky attitude OUT of the sky and we can avoid having another tragedy like this. The accident was real. Every time I see one, it just adds another bar to my caution level when flying. I have not experienced an accident first hand. If I had, I may have a different opinion.

I feel this is something we should each be thinking about so we can learn from it. We are not looking at it with some sort of sadistic intrigue, somehow finding it entertaining; we are simply reminded of the risks involved. Something similiar could have happened with 2 airplanes, or 2 skydivers for that matter. Those pilots were our pilot "brothers" so to speak and therefore the incident touches each of us and saddens us.

Just on another note, News Channel 3 is an independant, local news station, and very family oriented, unlike news 15.

--CM

Absolutely unbelievable. I came to this site because I wanted to see how the community is coming together in face of this tragedy. Instead I see Craig's last seconds being exploited by his own and channel 15's name dragged through the mud.

Well, I work at 15. I knew Craig and Rick. I saw, firsthead, how the station tried to work on through the shock and horror they all felt. Everytime I turned around someone different was crying. You should just hope you don't ever have to go through something like that.

From 12:45pm until 7pm we covered the story. At 4:30pm we didn't air Jeopardy and got a flood of viewers saying things like: "Who cares about those dumbasses. They got what they deserve. Put Jeopardy back on." And you dare say we aren't "family oriented".

Channel 15 is not always in the driver seat. Thought ever occur to you that the network wouldn't allow their primetime shows to be interupputed?

Anyway, I can't believe pilots treat each other with so much disrespect. This is what I thought I would find here.

The media community has come together in a way you obviously can't understand. My heart goes out to the brave crew at channel 3 AND our own crew. They all deserve respect whether you want to give it or not.

RIP, Craig, Rick, Scott and Jim

I worked at Quantum with Scott. He will be missed. My prayer go out to the families of all of the lost crew members.

Is/was Scott tall, quite thin with silver-ish blonde hair and the chief pilot up at ........... I forget the places name but based up in Scottsdale at the Airpark region up there? Hope not cuz the dude I'm thinking of is one very cool dude.

Prayers and condolences to all involved in this tragedy. Major bummer.

Kirk.

Absolutely unbelievable. I came to this site because I wanted to see how the community is coming together in face of this tragedy. Instead I see Craig's last seconds being exploited by his own and channel 15's name dragged through the mud.

Well, I work at 15. I knew Craig and Rick. I saw, firsthead, how the station tried to work on through the shock and horror they all felt. Everytime I turned around someone different was crying. You should just hope you don't ever have to go through something like that.

From 12:45pm until 7pm we covered the story. At 4:30pm we didn't air Jeopardy and got a flood of viewers saying things like: "Who cares about those dumbasses. They got what they deserve. Put Jeopardy back on." And you dare say we aren't "family oriented".

Channel 15 is not always in the driver seat. Thought ever occur to you that the network wouldn't allow their primetime shows to be interupputed?

Anyway, I can't believe pilots treat each other with so much disrespect. This is what I thought I would find here.

The media community has come together in a way you obviously can't understand. My heart goes out to the brave crew at channel 3 AND our own crew. They all deserve respect whether you want to give it or not.

RIP, Craig, Rick, Scott and Jim

I guess we all respond and react in different ways in these situations - some of us obviously like yourself closer to home than others. For what it's worth and of course this is probably easier for some of us at the moment, as opposed to yourself - try not to judge by one comment alone, whatever it may be (I think it is easier to feel more for the individual than the company and system they work for.) I was shocked and I expect most people were (especially helicopter pilots...as opposed to regular Jeopardy viewers) to see this accident and all of the videos and updates as they occurred. The only reason I've visited this forum repeatedly the last few days is to watch this thread and get some sence of closure or understanding with it somehow (although I'm just a guy/helicopter pilot on the internet - not family etc.) As with all accidents the first thing you do is look at the names and hope it isn't a previous flight instructor or other pilot that we were very fond of. In fact I do that with all accident posts and news. Recently - we were shocked to find out about a prominent member of this forum Flingwing206 who died while flying. The videos and live reporting this time brought this closer to home for some of us than some other `reports' of accidents.

Anyway, I was never comfortable reading comments like rest in peace, condolences etc. - because they don't seem to offer anything of any use. But they do offer respect and show a little love and what else can we all do in such a situation.

All the best and I hope time will heal this situation for all of you involved as I hope time heals everything else.

Without getting into other stuff - I hope it becomes necessary for pilots to only fly and not report at the same time.