KABC

Due to the fatal accident in PHX, not sure if it's all of ABC affilitates. KABC Los Angeles no longer lets the on-air pilot fly and do the news. There must be a pilot flying, while the on-air pilot is reporting.

You ENG guys, your thoughts?

I think this would hold true in a pursuit, but not just doing the traffic! Right?

R91

I think it will be a station by station thing. Maybe ABC will tell all of its owned stations that the pilot can't report on air any more. NBC upped the weather mins and training requirements for all of its ENG contracts after that crazy "caught on tape" crash onto a roof in New York City in '04. http://www.citynoise.org/article/568

In the end the stations will still want the first, fastest, best, coverage for the cheapest price. So my guess is that any short term changes will fade away over the long term. We'll see....

- T

I think it will be a station by station thing. Maybe ABC will tell all of its owned stations that the pilot can't report on air any more. NBC upped the weather mins and training requirements for all of its ENG contracts after that crazy "caught on tape" crash onto a roof in New York City in '04. http://www.citynoise.org/article/568

In the end the stations will still want the first, fastest, best, coverage for the cheapest price. So my guess is that any short term changes will fade away over the long term. We'll see....

- T

Hmmm, so what does weather mins have to do with an AStar losing its hydraulic system??

Whatever ! So does this mean that ships will be going out with a crew of 3 ? Cameraman, Pilot and Talent ??

Due to the fatal accident in PHX, not sure if it's all of ABC affilitates. KABC Los Angeles no longer lets the on-air pilot fly and do the news. There must be a pilot flying, while the on-air pilot is reporting.

Who'da thought that you should be paying attention to collision avoidance when in close proximity to 5 other helicopters instead of Neilson Ratings. I read over and over about IHST and HAI wanting to reduce heli accidents by 80% in 10 years or watever and thats all I hear about it. This is the kind of operationally specific insane things they should be addressing. Helicopter safety issues are as varied as the missions they perform. An unacceptable risk for one type of operation is everyday and neccessary for another and until operation specific guidelines are established their 80% out of thin air reduction will never happen.

Who'da thought that you should be paying attention to collision avoidance when in close proximity to 5 other helicopters instead of Neilson Ratings. I read over and over about IHST and HAI wanting to reduce heli accidents by 80% in 10 years or watever and thats all I hear about it. This is the kind of operationally specific insane things they should be addressing. Helicopter safety issues are as varied as the missions they perform. An unacceptable risk for one type of operation is everyday and neccessary for another and until operation specific guidelines are established their 80% out of thin air reduction will never happen.

Flying in LA airspace, we get to see a few of these media incidents of 5 ships in a confined space...its pretty crazy. Personally, I do think there should be a crew of 3 on board, as I implied in my post above.

Maybe you should talk to Matt Zuccaro over at HAI...I think he is still looking for his VP of safety..

Flying in LA airspace, we get to see a few of these media incidents of 5 ships in a confined space...its pretty crazy. Personally, I do think there should be a crew of 3 on board, as I implied in my post above.

Maybe you should talk to Matt Zuccaro over at HAI...I think he is still looking for his VP of safety..

My buudy flies for ABC, and he said that doing a chase, being the pilot, and the on-air talent can be overwhelming, he agrees on the 3 crew members. BUT, if you're doing the traffic reporting, then it shouldn't be a big deal. You're only on-air for 30-60 seconds MAX. This was a mandate from ABC, not FAA, or anyone else...we'll see what HAI says about this.

R91

Goldy, we'll have to meet for breakfast/lunch......I know, it's been crazy for me, but soon....I promise.

- T

Here ya go Goldy.

• 2 weeks later...
Man can I kill a party or what ? ? ?

Goldy, I apologize for that answer. I did not mean for it to be as shi!!y as it turned out too. :(

Helo- Dont worry about it..besides, My R22 is faster than your 300...take that !

Goldy( back from vacation) !!

• 1 year later...

Hi

To resurrect a old thread...and add on my two cents worth.

Before I left L.A. it was indeed the case you could no longer be on-air while on the controls. I ended up flying my last 20 or so hours in the ASTAR acting as PIC for Scott R. on the morning show while flying 71HD.

Heli Inc. policy is the same, no on-air while on the controls and since most of our ships have the duals removed there are very few pilot-reporters on staff.

Now we can and still do voice over and Q&A with the anchors to the video we are sending back to the station.

Regards,

IFlySky5

• 1 year later...