An SSH Student Finally Speaks

• 2 months later...
First off, I must say to the original poster of this topic, you are an idiot. Don't go bashing a company that you signed up for just because you didn't read the contract. When you sign up, Silver State is not only paying for supplies like books that will be given to you right away up front, but they are taking your word that you will fill a spot in a ground class, and fill a spot for a CFI. So not only are the ground instructor and CFI being paid to teach you, but it takes a hundred other people behind them, including HR department, accounting, Insurance, managers, maintenance setting everything up for you, all because you decided you wanted to make a career out of flying helicopters. Yes it is very expensive. So are ALL OTHER FLIGHT SCHOOLS! And lets put it this way, there is no career in this country for a private helicopter pilot under a couple hundred hours. So unless you plan to do this for pleasure, your going to need your commercial/CFI. Silver States passing rate isn't perfect, but it is on par with the Aviation world. If you could really measure an individual passing rate for all aviation schools in the U.S., you can count on that it is in the 10-20%. That is just the way it is. But I can tell you something that would increase that figure. Idiots who don't sign up for something they do not intend to finish. People not motivated to work hard and make sacrifices in order to fly the necessary 2-3 times per week, and spend the hours studying at home. If you can't live up to that, then none of this business is for you. Stay out of it. Just because you couldn't hack the training, and it was too hard and much for you to understand, don't go whining about it looking for pity. SSH is the best paying job for new CFIs. Your lucky to make 10-15 dollars per flight hour anywhere else, when SSH pays flight, ground, and pre and post instruction. If you show motivation to be a CFI, and willing to work hard, I can assure you there is a CFI, and many others behind him, at your location willing to work hard for you.

You have benn drinking way too much SSH Kool-aid!

As a response to an earlier post where someone asked how many people that start actually finish the course. My class started with 27 people and 11 of us will graduate.

So heres my 2 cents on SSH being that im a student and have first hand knowledge of what is going on. When I started I tried to check out multiple schools yet no one would get back to me. The only two schools in the area that I knew of were SSH and Universal. Even now i'd take Silver state over universal. For the first year I would see posts here and on other web sites about silver state and I couldn't understand what was going on cause it wasn't happening at my location. We had plenty of helicopters. The CFI's were great and the ground training was great. That my friends has all changed. It is a monster that is out of control. Everytime I see someone in the lobby wanting to sign up I want to tell them to go somewhere else. Helicopters are scarce. The ground school has changed to watching a recorded thing on the computer and it is hard to get one on one ground scheduled in. These are not faults of the cfi's who I still see as great instructors (i also recognise that I don't have very many hours and that my opinion on great instructor might not be the same as someone with thousands of hours). All in all I feel that my training has been great. That said. I plan on distancing myself from Silver State as soon as possible. I hope that this industry isn't as close minded that they would discriminate someone for what school they went through instead comparing their skills with someone else. If it is, then its not much better off then silver state.

All the personal attacks and threats of physical violence were out of line. But the whole Vanilla Ice thing, now that was just funny. Classic. Clarity, you have to have a better photo for a helicopter forum. Save that one for your next album cover.

I second that one. Clarity it is a small community, and potential employers are going to see this. It would be wise to keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...
im a student and im wondering if i need to be contacting a lawyer or if im just screwed. if what they are doing is illegal shouldnt the government be doing something about it?

Any students in Mesa, AZ interested in joining together for a civil lawsuit may want to read the following article and get ahold of the attorney mentioned. I just called, and the receptionist said she's received several calls today from "former" SSH students (such as myself)...

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/10/26/2019621.htm

• 7 years later...

I know several former SSH students. Many are doing quite well in the military and commercial industry. Several are in the Army flying right now - a lot of SSH students and instructors were drawn here after the fiasco. Probably one of the best things that could have happened to them.

....and I know a couple of SSH students/instructors that have nothing to do with the industry. They were just screwed.

What was that guy's name? Probably changed his identity.

• Like 1

Jerry Airola. Sad to report, he's a tribal police officer somewhere now.

Well, I'm glad he went from being a millionaire to working as a tribal officer. Not that there is anything wrong with that position, just that he's probably not making what he pilfered before.

Well, I'm glad he went from being a millionaire to working as a tribal officer. Not that there is anything wrong with that position, just that he's probably not making what he pilfered before.

I havnt done any research on Jerry, but I hope he got some jail time over this! I hate that he stole so many peoples dreams just to line his own pocket. Makes me sick

Jerry wasn’t the first to rob students of their dreams and he won’t be the last. If fact, these types of scams are still occurring today. Some are just stealthier about it while others are in-your-face, up-front total rip-off.... Buyer beware and forewarned X100...

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1