Whats the best kit helicopter?

FLCFI

I looked at three different kits presently on the market. The Rotorway, Mini 500 and the safari. As far as I can see, the Safari seems to be the best one out there. On Barnstormers.com and Ebay, there are always Mini 500's and Rotorways showing up with very few hours. You almost never see a Safari. Plus I haven't seen an accident report on one either. Just my opinion, as I have yet to start looking very hard to get started on a kit helicopter.

I fly 80 hours a month in RotorWays. Show me a Safari or ANY other kit helicopter that does that.

So, I would say a RotorWay is the best kit out there. Of course they have their issues but as far as having a real flyable helicopter when you are done . . . look no further.

It has a great main rotor system with relatively high intertia and a very sturdy design. It's hard to hurt the main rotor system in a rotorway. It flies great. I can do any normal manuver that any other heli can do. Maintenance is relatively easy and generally less than a Schweizer but more than a R22.

I fly 80 hours a month in RotorWays. Show me a Safari or ANY other kit helicopter that does that.

So, I would say a RotorWay is the best kit out there. Of course they have their issues but as far as having a real flyable helicopter when you are done . . . look no further.

It has a great main rotor system with relatively high intertia and a very sturdy design. It's hard to hurt the main rotor system in a rotorway. It flies great. I can do any normal manuver that any other heli can do. Maintenance is relatively easy and generally less than a Schweizer but more than a R22.

How much $$$ are those Rotorway kits? They look nice, but I don't feel like calling somebody. Why benefits do they have over buying a used r22? Is it just the fun of putting it together?

My vote, Helicycle! Check out the video section on the homepage. The Helicycle was designed by the same man that came up with the Rotorway design, B.J. Schramm . It also has a driveshaft not belts, to the tailrotor.

Helicycle Turbine

Helicycle Home

I would be interested in picking your brain about that. I have been looking at buying either a kit or a semi-completed 162 for commuting. The traffic is horrible where I live (DC Metro) I live about 1.5 hours from my office. We have a heliport at the office and I would like to use it to commute to work on semi CAVU days. We own the building so getting permission would not be a problem. I'll PM you my contact info.

My vote, Helicycle! Check out the video section on the homepage. The Helicycle was designed by the same man that came up with the Rotorway design, B.J. Schramm . It also has a driveshaft not belts, to the tailrotor.

Helicycle Turbine

B.J. Schramm's Helicycle !

B.J. Schramm also started Rotoway helicopters, So he has a good design background and has worked on power plants for both Solor and Rotorway. If your looking for a single place helicopter this is the unit you want at around 37k New !

If your looking for more than One seat, Keep looking ! they only have the one seater out !

I own a Rotoway exec. its a nice unit for the cost. My Dad got it almost a year ago for 42 thousand, It came with extra blades and a extra power plant.

If your going to invest in A home built learn everything you can about the process. I like Rotoway as they have a school that

teaches you every step of the build process and a good instruction DVD and on paper. they have phone numbers and a list of people who have helped in construction and love to help you out when your unsure about direction. Its the best of the home built helicopter kits out !

~LD

Hope the main shaft problems and the tail rotor drive being suspect on the 162 are sorted?

The Hummingbird is the only one I would think of flying. www.vertical-aviation.com/

I had words with them some time ago seemed real sensible people with a wealth of knowledge about the machine, the majority is derived from the Sikorsky S52.

I was thinking of a home build at the time but the UK has the CAA and for some reason the HB is not imported at present, even so they were very helpful and answered questions with the knowledge that there was no sale at the end.

A really professional attitude

Try this link

www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/index.php?page=ntsb

I forgot about the helicycle. It might be a good option for a single seat heli. Of course there is the problem of obtaining training in it. That's the nice thing about the RotorWay. You can recieve training that will give you a much needed proficiency that is needed to fly helicopters safely. The new rotorways have a tailrotor drive shaft that is belt driven. They also have a cog belt that drives the main rotor. A new RotorWay kit is selling for $95,700 now and they have started shipping kits for the Talon. The Talon flies just like the 162F but it has the greater reliability, usability, and reduced maintenance.

I forgot about the helicycle. It might be a good option for a single seat heli. Of course there is the problem of obtaining training in it. That's the nice thing about the RotorWay. You can recieve training that will give you a much needed proficiency that is needed to fly helicopters safely. The new rotorways have a tailrotor drive shaft that is belt driven. They also have a cog belt that drives the main rotor. A new RotorWay kit is selling for $95,700 now and they have started shipping kits for the Talon. The Talon flies just like the 162F but it has the greater reliability, usability, and reduced maintenance.

From the RotorWay website Talons Specifications:

Features and Improvements:

Next Generation FADEC

Shaft Driven Tail Rotor

So the shaft is driven by a belt? is that typical in other helos?

I called today and was quoted a price of 97,700 if you get the whole kit at one or 99,700 if you get the four step kit with each step being priced at 19-23K-ish.

Edited by Sparker

All piston driven helicopters that I know of are belt driven. They generally drive the tail rotor shaft with the belts and the tail rotor shaft extends into the main rotor transmission which is how the main rotor gets powers and where the RPM reduction occurs.

The rotorway drives a secondary shaft and a belt goes from that to the tail rotor gear box at the begining of the tail boom which drives the tail rotor shaft. The secondary shaft also drives the main rotor cog belt which has a large cog on the main rotor shaft. That is how they get the rpm reduction.

Optigirl

I think the 162 still has drive belt the Tallon has drive shaft but are they shipping them yet?

My Rotoway is belt drive, And in truth, If you keep an eye open and do your checks, pushing up on the belt every time you check the fuel filter and other on-sight checks, You wont have any problems.

I'm not as sure about the shaft systems for Rotorway's as I should, Sorry...

As far as the advantages go . . . You can do your own maintenance because you just built it. The cost to operate is lower. Higher inertia rotor blades, excelent autorotative characteristics.

Disadvantages. . . probably more maintenance than a R22 (tinkering involved). It is not certified. Has less power than a R22 B II.

If you just want to fly and you have enough money then a RotorWay may not be for you. If you want to learn how helicopters work, how to build and maintain a helicopter, and fly then you may want to get a RotorWay. It is a great learning experience.

Like Optigirl said, the tail rotor belt drive is very reliable if maintained properly. I have had no problems with the 3 belt tail rotor drive train.

The safari has the same type engine as the R22 and NO belts. It is a vertical engine placement connected directly to the MR transmission. This transmission has a clutch similar to the BH47 system with a direct shaft off the MR transmission to the TR transmission.They also have training and support available.

Is anyone else leery of home-built helicopters? I'm not knocking those who have them, but I just think there's something about the whole thing that is less than inviting to me.

The only perk I can see is having my own fairly inexpensive helicopter, which would be pretty cool.

ADRidge

Yep you would not get me in most of them in a straight jacket and tranquillised

Try this page the No,s dont add up for me

www.rotorwayownersgroup.com/index.php?page=ntsb