Any other job to build hours other than CFI?

I am willing to pay my dues and do anything to build hours ... haven't started yet. but.. I hear most instruct to build hours...I would do that in a heart beat, just wondering is there any other way to build hours with only 150-200hrs

like ferry ? and any odd jobs.

I just have had it in my head so long that instructing is the way to go, I forgot if there was any other way. just curious.

Get your commercial...then tours, ag spraying, cherry drying in the summer, keeping citrus from freezing in the winter, and everything else under the sun.

tours before CFI? where?

huh? Sorry ya must be living in Nebraska !

Fly over Arapahoe for me some time. Goldy

huh? Sorry ya must be living in Nebraska !

Fly over Arapahoe for me some time. Goldy

Gladly! My best friends ex-fiancee and her crazy(literally) family live there.... I would love to do a nice low n slow fly by!

Edited by Sparker

Gladly! My best friends ex-fiancee and her crazy(literally) family live there.... I would love to do a nice low n slow fly by!

My Grandfather was mayor there back around 1930...aint a real big place !

Some companies will let you do powerline/pipeline inspection, aerial photography, or frost proof crops. You need to be mobile and you need to contact them before you finish training, introduce yourself and tell them what you want to do. Always be courteous and check back now and then with them.

If they don't have anything available ask if they know of anyone who does. I think that we rely too much on job boards etc. when a simple call and introduction can really make a favorable impression. Remember, above all its about building relationships so that when you have the hours they'll choose you over all of the others looking for the same position.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I dug this up from the last time we had this discussion.

FAR Part 119.1(E)

(e) Except for operations when common carriage is not involved conducted with airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of 20 seats or more, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more, this part does not apply to—

(1) Student instruction;

(2) Nonstop sightseeing flights conducted with aircraft having a passenger seat configuration of 30 or fewer, excluding each crewmember seat, and a payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less, that begin and end at the same airport, and are conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of that airport; however, for nonstop sightseeing flights for compensation or hire conducted in the vicinity of the Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, the requirements of SFAR 50–2 of this part or 14 CFR part 119, as applicable, apply;

(3) Ferry or training flights;

(4) Aerial work operations, including—

(i) Crop dusting, seeding, spraying, and bird chasing;

(ii) Banner towing;

(iii) Aerial photography or survey;

(iv) Fire fighting;

(v) Helicopter operations in construction or repair work (but it does apply to transportation to and from the site of operations); and

(vi) Powerline or pipeline patrol;

(5) Sightseeing flights conducted in hot air balloons;

(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations.

(7) Helicopter flights conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of the airport of takeoff if—

(i) Not more than two passengers are carried in the helicopter in addition to the required flightcrew;

(ii) Each flight is made under day VFR conditions;

(iii) The helicopter used is certificated in the standard category and complies with the 100-hour inspection requirements of part 91 of this chapter;

(iv) The operator notifies the FAA Flight Standards District Office responsible for the geographic area concerned at least 72 hours before each flight and furnishes any essential information that the office requests;

(v) The number of flights does not exceed a total of six in any calendar year;

(vi) Each flight has been approved by the Administrator; and

(vii) Cargo is not carried in or on the helicopter;

(8) Operations conducted under part 133 of this chapter or 375 of this title;

(9) Emergency mail service conducted under 49 U.S.C. 41906; or

(10) Operations conducted under the provisions of §91.321 of this chapter.