dumb question time

Rogue

I've been a commission employee for 15 years now so this probably sounds a little dumb to some of you but...

say I get through school ok and cfi for a while without being killed and get picked up by a GOM company, now do they pay you a salary to sit around in the pool? or do you only get paid when you are loggin flight hours?

See.. I go to work 8 hours a day, but if I'm not turning a wrench then I'm not making squat, I just wasn't sure how all this worked out in helo pilot world.

Thanks, Jeff

You get paid whether you fly 8 hours (the max) or don't fly at all. They take you're salary and

divide it by 182.5 (half a year) since everyone works 7/7 or 14/14. That gives you your daily

rate. Every day you work, that's what you get paid. If you "work over" (any days outside your

normal schedule) you get your daily rate x 1.5.

You get paid whether you fly 8 hours (the max) or don't fly at all. They take you're salary and

divide it by 182.5 (half a year) since everyone works 7/7 or 14/14. That gives you your daily

rate. Every day you work, that's what you get paid. If you "work over" (any days outside your

normal schedule) you get your daily rate x 1.5.

Are you saying that if your salary is $50,000 you will really only earn $25,000 a year? Or, they just figure the daily rate based on the total salary, but divided by half a year. (i.e. 50,000/182.5=273.97 daily, or would it be 136.98 daily?)

Edited by PhotoFlyer

I've been a commission employee for 15 years now so this probably sounds a little dumb to some of you but...

say I get through school ok and cfi for a while without being killed and get picked up by a GOM company, now do they pay you a salary to sit around in the pool? or do you only get paid when you are loggin flight hours?

See.. I go to work 8 hours a day, but if I'm not turning a wrench then I'm not making squat, I just wasn't sure how all this worked out in helo pilot world.

Thanks, Jeff

Salary on the Gulf is just that...Salary.....8 hour duty days or 14 hour duty days, flying or no-flight, pays the same, although some GOM companies pay a flite hour bonus, but not PHI..at least in the last year that I know of...for the young and new helo pilots, as much as they pissed me off, PHI is a very good company, and when I left the company it only took the new hires to obtain an assingment and schooling for an S-76C model in a few short months...ALL ROBBIE ONLY pilots included....as the reg's read, a 2 pilot crew can amass up to 10 hours of flight time a day with a max of 14 hours for the duty day...single pilot equals an 8 hour flight hour day ...period..I will say that PHI treated me well, over the years, but the NEW PHI was not what I wanted...You may find PHI just up your alley, but my time had come...although I still respect PHI as a VERY PROFFessional company.......As far as overtime, when you work on you day off, be it 7/7 or 14/14 day schedule, you will be paid at a rate of 1.5 of your normal pay, whatever that may be....I am a retired PHI Pilot, Capt S92, and 33 years with PHI, international and the GOM...Keep up with the helo world and ENJOY IT!!!....Any questions, you may contact me at..cavloh@earthlink.net...would be happy to help all...

CavLoh