Am I competitive??

Good afternoon,

I appreciate all of the information on this forum. I've been poking around here for awhile now, and thought I'd post some background information on myself to get everyone's opinion as to whether I'm competitive for WOFT or not.

• 25 years old (no prior service).
    Hold two BS degrees (accounting and finance); CPA; 3.75 overall college GPA.
    I scored a 77 on the ASVAB with all my line scores 119 to 122 (GT was 119).
    I'm motivated and have been thinking about joining the service for sometime. I want to go 35K (UAV operator) or WOFT to fly copters.
    My LORs would come from my current boss, college professors and hopefully my college's president (West point grad, 35 year career officer, Brig Gen.); need to talk to him about a LOR.

Thoughts?

I have not taken AFAST yet. I did not have an opportunity to study for the ASVAB. If you recommend a retake, I'll put in quality time to study. I know I can improve that score if recommended.

I appreciate you time! :)

Mike

Good afternoon,

I appreciate all of the information on this forum. I've been poking around here for awhile now, and thought I'd post some background information on myself to get everyone's opinion as to whether I'm competitive for WOFT or not.

25 years old (no prior service).
    Hold two BS degrees (accounting and finance); CPA; 3.75 overall college GPA.
    I scored a 77 on the ASVAB with all my line scores 119 to 122 (GT was 119).
    I'm motivated and have been thinking about joining the service for sometime. I want to go 35K (UAV operator) or WOFT to fly copters.
    My LORs would come from my current boss, college professors and hopefully my college's president (West point grad, 35 year career officer, Brig Gen.); need to talk to him about a LOR.

Thoughts?

I have not taken AFAST yet. I did not have an opportunity to study for the ASVAB. If you recommend a retake, I'll put in quality time to study. I know I can improve that score if recommended.

I appreciate you time! :)

Mike

Mike,

With 2 degrees, why not go OCS (Officers Canidate School)? If for some reason you fail WOFT, they can require you to continue service in a MOS of the Army's choosing.

Mike,

With 2 degrees, why not go OCS (Officers Canidate School)? If for some reason you fail WOFT, they can require you to continue service in a MOS of the Army's choosing.

permison,

I appreciate the thoughts. I was avoiding OCS because I was under the impression that OCS could not guarantee flight (heli) training, whereas WOFT could...perhaps I'm misinformed? Plus I hear officers don’t really fly, but push paper and battle Army politics?

Thanks! :)

How will you know you are competitive if you don't submit your application? I think the question you're really asking is do you have a chance with your scores. The answer to THAT question is almost philosophical...

Mike,

I would say that you are competitive, as long as you do well on the AFAST... ARCO makes a study guide, you can pick that up at your local Barnes and Noble or similiar bookstore.

You are correct on the OCS vs WOCS on guarantee AV (aviation). As far as failing WOCS, 2 years ago when I went through, you had to kill someone to fail out. My class tried like hell to get someone removed because 106 out of the 107 in my class didn't even think she should be in the Army.... let alone be a WO, but she was only pushed back a class, and now is a WO. It is unfortunate really that she even graduated, but I'm sure her unit will hook her up. ::Sidenote:: she was not Aviation.

I also think that Linc is right on, are you competitive if you don't ever put a packet in?

Good luck

CHAD

Mike,

I would say that you are competitive, as long as you do well on the AFAST... ARCO makes a study guide, you can pick that up at your local Barnes and Noble or similiar bookstore.

You are correct on the OCS vs WOCS on guarantee AV (aviation). As far as failing WOCS, 2 years ago when I went through, you had to kill someone to fail out. My class tried like hell to get someone removed because 106 out of the 107 in my class didn't even think she should be in the Army.... let alone be a WO, but she was only pushed back a class, and now is a WO. It is unfortunate really that she even graduated, but I'm sure her unit will hook her up. ::Sidenote:: she was not Aviation.

I also think that Linc is right on, are you competitive if you don't ever put a packet in?

Good luck

CHAD

Thanks Chad, I appreciate your reply. How about my initial ASVAB scores? Would you recommend a retake? I've heard that the average WOFT packet ASVAB score is high 80s.

Thanks!

Mike,

The ARCO study guide is available free online. I assume it is legal as it is linked through the USAREC Warrant Officer website: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/ (select "AFAST - Online Study Guide" from the pull down menu in the main body of the webpage)

It takes you here: http://www.petersons.com/army/mfat.asp?sponsor=10

That link takes you here: http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/MilitaryFlight.pdf

The guide has all of the Military Flight Aptitude Tests. The Army AFAST is towards the back.

Good Luck!

-V5

Mike,

The ARCO study guide is available free online. I assume it is legal as it is linked through the USAREC Warrant Officer website: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/ (select "AFAST - Online Study Guide" from the pull down menu in the main body of the webpage)

It takes you here: http://www.petersons.com/army/mfat.asp?sponsor=10

That link takes you here: http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/MilitaryFlight.pdf

The guide has all of the Military Flight Aptitude Tests. The Army AFAST is towards the back.

Good Luck!

-V5

Thanks for the link!!