A Silver State testimonial

If I am able to get your information, I can promise you a suit at my interview. I will graduate in May and will also be at Heli-Expo in February.

We will have a booth at HeliExpo, come say hello...

Where are you training?

We will have a booth at HeliExpo, come say hello...

Where are you training?

I would be more than happy to stop by, though I would need to know which table to stop at if you don't mind. I am training at Quantum and Embry-Riddle. I'll have a BSABA with an Area of Concentration (AOC) in Helicopter Flight Operations.

I would be more than happy to stop by, though I would need to know which table to stop at if you don't mind. I am training at Quantum and Embry-Riddle. I'll have a BSABA with an Area of Concentration (AOC) in Helicopter Flight Operations.

Summit Helicopters (www.flysummit.com) - We're located in the Dallas, TX area, we'll be down in Houston at HeliExpo. Don't know which booth yet, but when I do I'll post it if you like.

For what it is worth, if you're training at Quantum, I'm afraid I won't be able to use you, since they fly only Robinson R-22 and R-44s. We fly a mixed fleet of Schweizer 300CBi, Robinson R-22 and R-44s. I need CFIs who can at least teach in the S300 and R-22, with preference going to those with R-44 time as well.

Fly Safe!

There is no shortage of CFIs with 200 hours of helicopter time.

There is a shortage of professional CFIs.

I disagree with this statement. There are thousands of professional CFI's, however, they are unwilling to work for CFI wages. $80 an hour should be a minimum for a well experienced professional CFI, but even 10,000 hour pilots who have retired and want to instruct for fun usually make $35 - $45 an hour. If you want professional CFI's, pay professional CFI wages.

For what it is worth, if you're training at Quantum, I'm afraid I won't be able to use you, since they fly only Robinson R-22 and R-44s. We fly a mixed fleet of Schweizer 300CBi, Robinson R-22 and R-44s. I need CFIs who can at least teach in the S300 and R-22, with preference going to those with R-44 time as well.

Fly Safe!

Is this a blanket statement or more of a "this is how it is right now" thing? I ask because I am training at Quantum; I'm just getting started, but I'm starting to look ahead just a bit to when I'm done. If it is a "blanket" statement. how much time in the Scheizer would it take to be able teach (as I said, I'm still new - working on my private)? Are there any good/cheap places to get it? My GF would *love* an opportunity to move back to the Dallas area.... :-)

I disagree with this statement. There are thousands of professional CFI's, however, they are unwilling to work for CFI wages. $80 an hour should be a minimum for a well experienced professional CFI, but even 10,000 hour pilots who have retired and want to instruct for fun usually make $35 - $45 an hour. If you want professional CFI's, pay professional CFI wages.

Fair enough... I shall amend my statement to read, "There is a shortage of professional CFIs willing to work for what the market will bear".

I'd love to pay them $80/hr, just as soon as students will pay for it. :) The bottom line is that we have to be competitive with other schools, and $80/hr is out of the market for basic flight training.

$35/hr is not bad money, if you can work 40 hours a week at that, it is $72K a year. Not bad money, actually.

Is this a blanket statement or more of a "this is how it is right now" thing? I ask because I am training at Quantum; I'm just getting started, but I'm starting to look ahead just a bit to when I'm done. If it is a "blanket" statement. how much time in the Scheizer would it take to be able teach (as I said, I'm still new - working on my private)? Are there any good/cheap places to get it? My GF would *love* an opportunity to move back to the Dallas area.... :-)

While my Magic 8 ball isn't perfect, it is pretty much a blanket statement. I have 3 Schweizers and 3 Robinsons, I generally won't hire someone who can't fly both.

You would need at least 50 hours in the Schweizer to be able to teach in it. Insurance would never cover you otherwise (and even then, it isn't a sure thing, 75 hours is much better).

Good and cheap generally don't fit into the same sentence when it comes to aviation. :) Schweizer time generally costs more than R-22 time, because it costs more to operate than the R-22. Since you're doing your private in the R-22, I'd do your instrument in the R-44 and your commercial/CFI in the Schweizer. That way you're qualified as much as possible in each type of aircraft.

Fly Safe!

Summit Helicopters (www.flysummit.com) - We're located in the Dallas, TX area, we'll be down in Houston at HeliExpo. Don't know which booth yet, but when I do I'll post it if you like.

Fly Safe!

Now granted, you are absolutely correct, we do fly 22's and 44's exclusively. I do have access to the S300 at the same airport though. Wouldn't take much for me to go to the other side and get that time. So there is some "wiggle" room in there to meet your standards. I'd be more than happy to come by your table, which is table 19 by the way(a 40x20, nice)...smack dab between Eurocopter and Sikorsky but across the aisle. I will be at table 217, Embry-Riddle's table. I am the current president of our helicopter club here at campus. Looking forward to shaking your hand and saying "hello" in person.

Now granted, you are absolutely correct, we do fly 22's and 44's exclusively. I do have access to the S300 at the same airport though. Wouldn't take much for me to go to the other side and get that time. So there is some "wiggle" room in there to meet your standards. I'd be more than happy to come by your table, which is table 19 by the way(a 40x20, nice)...smack dab between Eurocopter and Sikorsky but across the aisle. I will be at table 217, Embry-Riddle's table. I am the current president of our helicopter club here at campus. Looking forward to shaking your hand and saying "hello" in person.

I'll be in and out at #19, however that is where our Fly-It Helicopter simulator will be, along with another one from Houston. We'll also have a 10x10 standard booth as well. I don't recall the number of that one, I'll post that later.

Come by and say hello, and if I'm not there, they should know where I'm at. I do after all have to wander around and look at all the nice helicopters I can't afford. :D

Fair enough... I shall amend my statement to read, "There is a shortage of professional CFIs willing to work for what the market will bear".

I'd love to pay them $80/hr, just as soon as students will pay for it. :) The bottom line is that we have to be competitive with other schools, and $80/hr is out of the market for basic flight training.

$35/hr is not bad money, if you can work 40 hours a week at that, it is $72K a year. Not bad money, actually.

Do you pay when the instructor is not instructing? Because I have never met an instructor who got paid for 40 hours when they put in 40 hours. To get paid for 40 hours would usually mean putting in 120 hours with waiting for students, weather cancellations, maintenance cancellations, etc. I think most instructors would have to live, eat, and breath flight training to get close to 40 hours a week. Or unless they are unscrupulous and give the students many hours of ground instruction that the student probably does not need. Most flight schools have to at least hire some of their graduates, or they might lose those students to someone else, so it is very rare for their to even be enough students and aircraft available for an instructor to get even 20 hours a week.

I may be misreading this, but are you saying the there is Schweizer training available at Chandler? Who does the training?