Hiring process and schedule for GOM

Fidelis

I live in the midwest and commute on a 14/14 schedule. I fly into Lafayette and then have a

45 minute drive to the base. It costs me $400-500 a month. Sounds like a lot (it is), but I

have a part time ENG job that takes care of it and a little more, which helps. I don't want

to live in Louisiana. I usually take an early morning flight in case of delays, which happen,

but have been rare. The only one was when American grounded all their MD-80's the

day before I left. They got me on a Northwest flight that actually got me in earlier. I don't

really go anywhere once I get to the base, so I only spend about $15 on gas in 2 weeks,

which also helps offset the cost of airfare. All in all, it has worked pretty well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm very far from this point but hope to fly in the gulf when I get to that point. Do you get there 1 day prior to reporting to work ? Do you have your own vehicle there ? Living in California seems to be a far fetched commute, so some day I might have to relocate a little closer. I start training on 8-4, second career, can't wait !!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rat, I know 1 guy that was commuting to Cali and another that does it from New York. Both of those guys are single and try to get some overtime after their 2nd week on which normally amounts to 3 weeks on, 1 off. It would be tough to do this with a family though.

Well depending on how much your wife likes to nag!! :D

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm very far from this point but hope to fly in the gulf when I get to that point. Do you get there 1 day prior to reporting to work ? Do you have your own vehicle there ? Living in California seems to be a far fetched commute, so some day I might have to relocate a little closer. I start training on 8-4, second career, can't wait !!!

If you fly, you have to get in the day before because the duty day starts at 5:30 am. I usually

get in at 3:00 the day before. I have plenty of time to grocery shop and do whatever the day

before. I keep an old car at the airport to get back and forth. I work with quite a few guys

from California. I don't think it takes them any longer to get here than it does me, but I

think they're paying more. Moving to La. would be a lot simpler, but it doesn't mean you'll

see you're family more. You could be at one base for a year and then get sent somewhere

that is way too far to do a daily commute. I have been at the same base for a year, but

with my luck if I moved close, I would find myself working in Venice (you don't want to know)

the next hitch.

Darren, 3 weeks just might be to long for me. I might miss the nagging after that long.

Helonorth and all others, thank you for your information. This website is a great resource with obviously alot of experienced pilots. I'll be tapping into this for a long time. I look forward to the day when I'll be able to help out the new pilots like myself.

Anyone who flies the Gom and commutes from any significant distance, can you share your experience. Thanks

Rat, years and years ago I used to do an 8-16 hour commute on a 7&7 (Augusta and or Atlanta, Ga) to various places in the Gulf, averaging 45,000 miles a year. Two solid econoboxes, and a third, "good" car for the family whilst I'm gone. If one of the commuter cars needs work that can't be done by time for the drive, I take the other. 13 years, never failed me... Okay, once- Hurricane Juan drowned a car on hitch. Demote the family car, replace it with the insurance money.

"Eight to sixteen" hours commuting depending on where I started the hitch- New Orleans from Atlanta being the shortest commute; Augusta to Sabine the longest. Didn't like commercial flying because I had to leave home as early and keep an an airport car. Making the return flight could be an iffy proposition (what base, what job, and could I even get to the base on break day) unless I used a red-eye, which gained very little usable off-time. Bad as gas prices currently are, you'd have to look at the economics of this very carefully. More bad news, the airlines are being clobbered by similar pressures and will have to raise ticket prices. The commute was a wash, cost and time-wise. I drove to maintain low-stress flexibility.

I did a 14&14 for a while, by far my favorite schedule, especially with kids. One can live anywhere on that schedule.

I lived in Louisiana off and on. It isn't for everybody (especially not my first wife), consider that option very carefully. Even if you move, and like Louisiana, if you have a family, you likely won't see them any more frequently. Your drive home is shorter- that's it. I like Cajuns and living in Louisiana, me, yeah.

Rat, years and years ago I used to do an 8-16 hour commute on a 7&7 (Augusta and or Atlanta, Ga) to various places in the Gulf, averaging 45,000 miles a year. Two solid econoboxes, and a third, "good" car for the family whilst I'm gone. If one of the commuter cars needs work that can't be done by time for the drive, I take the other. 13 years, never failed me... Okay, once- Hurricane Juan drowned a car on hitch. Demote the family car, replace it with the insurance money.

"Eight to sixteen" hours commuting depending on where I started the hitch- New Orleans from Atlanta being the shortest commute; Augusta to Sabine the longest. Didn't like commercial flying because I had to leave home as early and keep an an airport car. Making the return flight could be an iffy proposition (what base, what job, and could I even get to the base on break day) unless I used a red-eye, which gained very little usable off-time. Bad as gas prices currently are, you'd have to look at the economics of this very carefully. More bad news, the airlines are being clobbered by similar pressures and will have to raise ticket prices. The commute was a wash, cost and time-wise. I drove to maintain low-stress flexibility.

I did a 14&14 for a while, by far my favorite schedule, especially with kids. One can live anywhere on that schedule.

I lived in Louisiana off and on. It isn't for everybody (especially not my first wife), consider that option very carefully. Even if you move, and like Louisiana, if you have a family, you likely won't see them any more frequently. Your drive home is shorter- that's it. I like Cajuns and living in Louisiana, me, yeah.

Wally, thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to have to figure this out when the time gets here. I look forward to the challenge, as we know things don't come easy. It took me years of testing to get hired as a Firefighter, sometimes 1 opening with 2000 applicants. That was discouraging. This was years ago, now getting a job with the fire department is 100% easier.

• 2 months later...

You can get there any time you want, but your opposite may still be in your room. 7:30 is

the end of the duty day and your opposite should be out by then. If your customer is nice

and they don't need you, you can often leave early on break day. Unless you live local,

everyone gets there the day before.

Edited by helonorth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Instrument instructing would count for that requirement? My current CFII teacher only has 65 sim instrument, but like 300 plus instructing instrument, and I'll bet that is prolly the norm for most CFI's.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a post in a new "Interview Gouge Forum" on HelicopterSalaries.com. It is a first hand account of an Air Logistics hiring experience.

Air Logistics Interview experience...

This persons write-up is just about dead on. I just interviewed for Air Logistics (successfully!!!) and their interpretation of the whole process is great. I plan to "update" their blog with what has changed when i get home.

happy holidays!!

This persons write-up is just about dead on. I just interviewed for Air Logistics (successfully!!!) and their interpretation of the whole process is great. I plan to "update" their blog with what has changed when i get home.

happy holidays!!

Congratulations! Let us know where you land. Maybe we'll be neighbors down here in Creole! :lol:

Congratulations! Let us know where you land. Maybe we'll be neighbors down here in Creole! :lol:

thanks boatfixer!

I'm sure I'll be down in Creole at some point while I'm swimmin' in the pilot pool! Can't wait to start. Don't be surprised if I message you a couple of questions while I'm prepping for this new hire training class!

happy holidays!!

coanda, I was just wondering what kind of flight time you had and how it broke down. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for posting your experiences. This information has been very helpful to us wanna-be's!

• 1 month later...