Hiring process and schedule for GOM

Fidelis

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry all, I know I promised a write up about my recent Air Log experience. It's coming soon. I've been busy with my new Op's manual and computer training courses. pm me for quick questions and i should have the "write up" on here soon.

Hey coanda, hope all is going well @ Air Log. I would love to hear about your experience from the hiring process to how the first few months have been.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent my resume to three of the gulf companies about two weeks ago. How long does it usually take to hear back from them, and is it prudent to follow those resumes up with a phone call? Would it be a good idea to drive down to LA and visit with these companies?

Hey coanda, hope all is going well @ Air Log. I would love to hear about your experience from the hiring process to how the first few months have been.

Actually I have yet to report for duty. After my December interview my start date was March 30. March 3rd I got a call saying not to come down until June 20th. A couple of weeks later they furloughed 6 pilots and I got a letter telling me they couldn't give me an expected date of hire. We'll see.....

I think I'm going back into the army. My luck is they'll call me the day I sign a four year contract wanting me to start.

I sent my resume to three of the gulf companies about two weeks ago. How long does it usually take to hear back from them, and is it prudent to follow those resumes up with a phone call? Would it be a good idea to drive down to LA and visit with these companies?

All of the companies are slim on hiring right now, but if you are a 1000 hour pilot I'm afraid they won't call you unless they are desperate. They will have a foot tall pile of 1000 hour resumes, and they couldn't possibly call them all offering interviews. YOU need to start calling them or they might not even notice your resume.

Agreed, call and follow up with any and all resumes you send you. In good times or bad. Also, it helps if you know someone who already works there and use them as a reference if their are willing. That goes a long way.

If you can drive/fly there and drop off resumes that is also a good idea. I did that twice and both times landed an interview on the spot. So be dressed for one. Of those two I got one offer. Not bad.

JD

Thanks for the info... I do have a former instructor at PHI who has agreed to send in a reference and attach my resume. I have also started follow up phone calls. So far everyone that I have talked to has remembered my name from my resume, so I'm hoping that is a good sign.

I did notice that the GOM seems to hire those that are "fresh" on their minds. They do get stacks of resumes for the few opening every month, and a phone call does help. I also know of a few that drove down and were hired on the spot. I did keep "buggin" Rotorcraft, and got hired over the phone...probably so I'd stop bugging them I'm sure.

Now it is a little slow right now, so don't panic. Most had serious layoffs in the last 4 months, and some were called back, so new hires are on the back burner.

Good luck!