Aspiring Pilot -- Glacier Aviation, Inc., Olympia.

Hello to everyone at Vertical Reference!

This is my first post here, and certainly the beginning of many. I've been reading on this forum for several weeks, as I've been researching the Aviation Field and Community and everything else I can that's related, and have been thoroughly impressed with the people here--the experience, knowledge, and friendliness.

I'm 23 (just turned on December 30th), male, and after long thought have finally resolved myself in to becoming what I have always wanted to become: a Pilot, chiefly a Helicopter Pilot.

So this is my very brief self-introduction, and I'll conclude it with a general request:

Tomorrow I meet with the president of Glacier Aviation, Inc., in Olympia Washington (a fantastic deal for me, as until I had found out about this particular company and location, I was prepared to move to either Oregon or Idaho for my training; I live 45 minutes from Olympia), and I would like to ask both for whatever and any advice you have to give, and for your thoughts on Glacier Aviation.

Thank you, everyone! I am eager to join this excellent community.

- Auladan

Hello to everyone at Vertical Reference!

This is my first post here, and certainly the beginning of many. I've been reading on this forum for several weeks, as I've been researching the Aviation Field and Community and everything else I can that's related, and have been thoroughly impressed with the people here--the experience, knowledge, and friendliness.

I'm 23 (just turned on December 30th), male, and after long thought have finally resolved myself in to becoming what I have always wanted to become: a Pilot, chiefly a Helicopter Pilot.

So this is my very brief self-introduction, and I'll conclude it with a general request:

Tomorrow I meet with the president of Glacier Aviation, Inc., in Olympia Washington (a fantastic deal for me, as until I had found out about this particular company and location, I was prepared to move to either Oregon or Idaho for my training; I live 45 minutes from Olympia), and I would like to ask both for whatever and any advice you have to give, and for your thoughts on Glacier Aviation.

Thank you, everyone! I am eager to join this excellent community.

- Auladan

I have never received instruction from Glacier, but I've gone in there for fuel a number of times, spoken with the owner and staff, and was an airplane student of one of their instructors (at another school that is now closed). They have always treated me and my associates well, and bent over backwards to make sure all of our needs were met.

It appears to me to be a great outfit and I would recommend them based on my dealings with them. In fact, I have an appointment in a couple weeks to get checked out in their C172 for weekend pleasure rental.

Welcome to the community and good luck to you.

Edited by palmfish

I have never received instruction from Glacier, but I've gone in there for fuel a number of times, spoken with the owner and staff, and was an airplane student of one of their instructors (at another school that is now closed). They have always treated me and my associates well, and bent over backwards to make sure all of our needs were met.

It appears to me to be a great outfit and I would recommend them based on my dealings with them. In fact, I have an appointment in a couple weeks to get checked out in their C172 for weekend pleasure rental.

Welcome to the community and good luck to you.

Thank you very kindly!

I appreciate your endorsement; the more I hear about Glacier Aviation, the better about them I feel. I am very excited to meet them tomorrow.

I rented some of Glacier's planes four years ago while I was stationed at Ft. Lewis. They are a great outfit. I met a bunch of their instructors and took a look at their aircraft. Everyone there was really friendly and they had good rates. The airfield and flying area is excellent too. I think you'll be pleased flying there. Good luck man!

Here's my update!

I went down to the airport yesterday (my first time there), and far from having to walk all over the airport grounds to find Glacier Aviation, their FBO was right inside the entrance, next to their hanger. Neither shabby nor extravagant (just right, in my opinion; there was a nice water fountain/fall by the main door), but everything was well kept--from the grounds to the lounge to the hanger, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The President of Glacier, whom introduced me to his operation, talked with me about his facility and his school, his staff and himself. Before taking me out to the hanger to visit his (beautiful) Helicopters, he went over my goals with me, my intentions, and wanted to find out a little bit about who I am, which immediately put me at ease; I surely wasn't at the oh-so-feared 'factory school'.

Afterward, he took me out through the lounge and reception area--where I met several of the instructors and one of the receptionists, who was herself a nearly-graduated CFI--and out to the hanger.

There were three or four R22's, an R44, and a plane (the model I can't say; I can nail car makes on the highway, but aviation is very new to me), and all of them were in excellent condition; spotless inside and out. I was very impressed. While there, as I listened to the rotors of a pilot-in-training chopping the air as he landed just outside, he talked about the difference between training and instrument Helicopters, and the absolute importance of constant caution.

Back in his (open-door policy) office, he sat me down again and went over all of the options available to me including start-date, financing, and even subsidized housing should I need it; I was very glad to find out that he has an in-house financier/accountant, FAA regulator/instructor (one of two in the state, I believe), and that of the Flight Instructors working there, I get to choose which I fly with.

All in all, I am very impressed with Glacier, and will hopefully be approved for my first loan very shortly; his training program is pay-as-you-go, so I don't need any particular amount up front.

Thank you all for your advice, encouragement and time!

Glacier Aviation. Great school. Mike Thielen (the owner) is a really nice guy, and really takes the time to talk with you. Training with Mike Everette (instructor and DPE) is a real treat. He is hands down the best pilot I have ever flown with. I finished my CFI and CFII there a few years back and highly recommend them.

The only drawback was that I had to fly to Kelso, OR for my CFII checkride to do the ground portion and a NDB approach, then I flew back and the DPE (Dale) drove to OLY to do a ILS approach to an airport approx 15NM away. It turned out to be about 1.5 - 2 hours of solo flight with nothing to do with the checkride. Besides that, I had no complaints.

All in all, they are a great company, and the cherry on top really was getting to fly with Mike Everette.

You won't be dissapointed for choosing that school. :D

Great luck!

--CM

I did my private training there. I had to move due to family reasons but have been back for a few checkrides and to finish up my CFI. Overall the school has not changed much even though it has grown tremendously since I was there. Great instruction tailored to you and your needs. As stated the amount of information you could learn from Mike E is unmeasurable.

Shane

Edited by shanesplanet

I was finishing up my Commercial curriculum a few weeks ago and did a night flight down to Chehalis/Centralia. After bucking the 35 knot headwind I got there with considerably less fuel than I had planned, but I had planned to refuel at Chehalis anyway. Low and behold when I landed and shut down next to the fuel pumps I noticed the mud (2 inches thick over all the pavement) and the pumps knocked over with their wires pulled out. Some guys in their hangar told me their wasn't any fuel because the airport had flooded and all the tanks were contaminated. So here I was at a strange airport, in the dark, in the rain, without enough fuel to fly to a fuel pump. I called an old instructor of mine who finished his CFI training at Glacier. He gave me Mike Everett's phone number and I called Mike, he told me to give him a couple of minutes to figure something out. 15 minutes later I was on the phone with another guy from Glacier (Kevin I think) who was their Fuel guy, and also a recent CFI grad, and he told me he would bring me fuel. He drove an hour with two 5 gallon Jerry cans of fuel and then stood in the rain to pour it for me.

That is the kind of people you will find at Glacier.

Granted I paid him for it, and my school paid Glacier the next day, but the fact that they were willing to come out at 9-10 at night, in the rain to a flooded airport, for a 10 gallon fuel sale, says a lot.

• 10 months later...