Kneeboards

ok, yah'll.

Instructor said "Get one."

I have noticed there is a plethora of KB's to choose from. I'm sure there are pro's and con's with 'em all.

I'd prefer to buy one, and not regret it and end up with another.

I am a "gadget geek", and the ones with more pockets and foldy stuff appeal to me, but do I really need that? Will that only get in my way?

Don't know if this makes much difference, but I am only 5' tall, so I have stubby legs (yes, I do need 18 phonebooks to reach the pedals!).

Hey there tatooed, if you're flying helicopters, which I presume you are, then in my opinion less is more. All the flaps and fold out panels tend to get in my way, especially in the R22. In the 300 there's a little more room. You may want to think about making one out of a small (A5 size) wooden clipboard from Office Max for about $4. Get some velcroe so you can attach it to your leg and a rubber band to stop the pages from flapping about...

I now use a bought one that was given to me, and even though it's small, it's still a little too big I feel, and would prefer smaller again.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Mike

Kneeboards are like wallets, gloves, knives, etc......You're going to go through a dozen of them before you find the one that works for you. Then you'll always be on the search for a better one. I have a whole box of them.

Although I don't like nor use kneeboards in helicopters, here's what I use in airplanes: http://www.sissonsatchels.com/page3.html It's just a big hard piece of Velcro. You can Velcro your GPS, notepad, E6B, timer, pens, pencil, calculator, whatever to it. Cheap and very effective. Plus, it's not metal or hard plastic, so it hopefully wouldn't damage the TR if it went out the door in a helicopter.

The "3rd hand" is nice too (you can get it from Sporty's.) It's just like a big metal paper clip that loops around your leg with elastic. Maps and notepad slide easily in and out of it. It nice for doors off ops. Otherwise I just stick the map under my leg. It has room for a strip of Velcro too, if you want to attach a notepad, calculator, timer, etc.

What I use......Go steal yourself a roll of 3M Durapore 2" or 3" wide white cloth medical tape from any Doctor's office or hospital. Slap a 6" long piece on your leg and you're set. Don't get the plastic stuff, it's useless when it gets damp and it doesn't absord the ink. Plenty of room to jot down freq's, clearances, up and down times, phone numbers, etc. It's not going to fly away and it doesn't take up any room whatsoever.

If you still want to go the full blown kneeboard route, I hear a lot of people here talk about the "zero-g". I'm sure someone will post a link.

Good luck on your search.........

I tried the ASA metal VFR but it's just wide enough to rub against the cyclic. I currently use the Wings 9G reversible kneeboard. It's the perfect size for me. In the clear center section I printed up a kneeboard cheat sheet. I have found that for me this kneeboard is very adaptable.

I just can't decide. I like the tri-folds (cuz I can store a bunch of stuff), but they do seem cumberson. Simple might be best.

I'm worried that my scronny, short legs will be an issue. I think I need to borrow some KB's and try 'em out before I decide. Maybe I'll do the cheap-o "Office Depot" board for now.

Hey, anyone want to "clean out their closet"?

As another poster said, kneeboards can get in the way of the cyclic. The designers didn't think, nor care, about this when they made there for airplanes (where 90% of the time the yoke is well above your lap.)

Whatever you pick out, make sure you have full range of the controls before you start the engine. I used to have students come in all the time with these gigantic kneeboards. We'd do a control freedom check before start-up and the cyclic wouldn't move all the way to the right or left. I'd say, "guess we're not doing steep turns, 180 autos, or slope landings today." Of course they'd reply honestly and as innocent one can be, "Oh, I'll take it off before we start those." And that's when I would slap them upside their head (not literally)............Like we're gonna have time to do that when we're dodging an airplane or actually have to do an auto.

I have a simple metal kneeboard. Works well.

The Flyboys one looks a little much. Although...

Naw, I'll keep it simple and less cluttered. Seems to be a better solution in a chaotic world.

Later

Oh, one thing: what do you guys do when you have to write things down? I have to use my left hand and I'm not a lefty. I can't read my writing. Solutions?

Once I took a grease pencil and wrote on the door window. Took a while to clean that off. Don't try that at home.

Later

Edited by Witch

Oh, one thing: what do you guys do when you have to write things down? I have to use my left hand and I'm not a lefty. I can't read my writing. Solutions?

Once I took a grease pencil and wrote on the door window. Took a while to clean that off. Don't try that at home.

Later

I've found that a fine tip dry erase marker works on the clear plastic chart protectors you can get for approach plates. I'm not left handed but have learned to fly with my left hand for a brief time while I was working on my instrument. The R44 for me is easier to fly like that then the R22.

I have a 9G, after using home-made ones for years. I use it mostly for the pen slots, so I have a pen handy all the time. I tried the tape, and that's useless for me. Too hard to write on it, and I need to have some other paperwork handy, such as frequencies and such. Flying into the DFW/Love Class B isn't something I want to do without having essential info instantly available. I keep that on my kneeboard, so I can find it right now. YMMV.

As for writing, I fly with my left hand or my knees while I write with my right hand. I can't write left-handed at all, but it's not hard to fly that way. 40 years of practice helps. B)

I use the 9G Reversable and I love it. Someone said earlier that a kneeboard is like a wallet, etc, and you will go through a dozen before you find the right one. Well this is the first one I bought and still use it every day. It straps around your thigh with an adjustable elastic band, and has a clear strap that goes over your papers that are attatched. There are plenty of slots for pens, and two pockets. During training, I kept an old timex that the band fell off of in the smaller pocket for my timer. IMO, you can't go wrong with this kneeboard.

Choose wisely grasshopper.

--CM

I bought the ASA long tri-fold VFR kneeboard a while ago, before I really started training. I regret buying it now. When I went to do my first solo xc the other day I was going to use it for the first time and realized it was wayyyyy too big. It ended up sitting in the left seat where I could still glance over at it when I needed too. So needless to say I'm looking for a new one now.

Based on what everybody is saying I think I'm gonna go with the 9G Reversible. It seems like it can hold what I need it to and won't be too big and get in the way.

I'm also looking for a timer. Has anyone used the ASA timer? Either that or Sporty's has one for $25... What do you think?

I'll chime in for the 9G. I have been using it for about 6 years and it works perfectly. In fact almost everyone in our unit uses the 9G. I also have an ASA IFR board I bought when I was doing my instrument rating. I hated it because it was too long. It worked well for its intended purpose, but I wouldn't want to use it every day.

My brother used this while getting his fixed wing liscense and he recently gave it to me, is this ok for helicopter use?

That will work just fine. You really just need something to hold your chart and Nav log. As you fly more, you will figure out what you need/want. For instance, I prefer the 9G because it has sewn in loops down the side to accept binder rings. I have my check list, frequency list, and some other quick reference lists on rings, so that I can flip through them as needed. It's all going to come down to what you want to have easy access to.

Allright well I don't actually fly helicopters yet, but just had a thought. Anyone thought about using a "wrist coach" on your arm while flying instead of or to supplement a kneeboard? I know we used to use them a lot in SWAT style missions; you could print up mission timelines/codewords, frequencies, small sketches/maps, and short checklists so you could easily look at them while on the move. Might be a really dumb idea but thought I'd throw it out there.

If you don't know what I'm talking about it's what you see quarterback's wearing on their wrist to look at and call plays on the field.