Job marked 2008

Motox

I really want to educate as a helicopter pilot. I am considering educating in the U.S. because I have heard that I easily can build up 1000 hours and it is alot cheaper than Norway. How is the job marked at the time for the new educated pilots? What schools do you recommend?

Thank you for an answer!

Edited by Motox

I really want to educate as an helicopterpilon. I really consider educating in the U.S. because I have heard that I easily can build up 1000 hours and it is alot cheaper than Norway. How is the job marked at the time for the new educated pilots? What schools do you recommend?

Thank you for an answer!

Hi,

Yes it is much cheaper in the US than in Norway.

Yes it is possible to build up 1000 hrs inside the Visa timeframe.

The Jobmarket for CFI's is still good if you are flexible and if you have a good personality and work ethic.

The bad news is that you will have a FAA license and no JAA. The conversion seems to be painfull.

You are limited to schools which sponsor a J1 Visum, and as far as I know there are only two - Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon and Bristow Academy in Florida.

Good luck

Helibear

Hi,

Yes it is much cheaper in the US than in Norway.

Yes it is possible to build up 1000 hrs inside the Visa timeframe.

The Jobmarket for CFI's is still good if you are flexible and if you have a good personality and work ethic.

The bad news is that you will have a FAA license and no JAA. The conversion seems to be painfull.

You are limited to schools which sponsor a J1 Visum, and as far as I know there are only two - Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon and Bristow Academy in Florida.

Good luck

Helibear

Thanks for reply!

Limited to schools, why? Anyways, Hillsboro Aviation seems like quite a good school, which is the one I guess I would chose/will choose, if I decide to educate as a pilot.

When you say that the jobmarket for newbies is still good, are those jobs crap? I have heard that some graduates becomes instructors, but not everybody. How would you count my chances to get a job after graduated, as a foregin(I don't know whether they prefere US citicens or not)? My greatest consern is that I will end up without a job, and a great loan!

How hard is it to educate as a pilot? Are those 14 exams hard to pass?

How hard is it to educate as a pilot? Are those 14 exams hard to pass?

Did you mean 14 JAA ATPL exams? They are not hard to pass at all, but you'll have to study a lot...I think it could take you about a year. From the moment you take your first exam you'll have 18 months legally allowed to pass all 14 exams...and you have to pass all 14 in 6 tries max. This means that that you will have to pass an average of 2.33 exams per try.

I have heard that some graduates becomes instructors, but not everybody. How would you count my chances to get a job after graduated, as a foregin(I don't know whether they prefere US citicens or not)?

As a foreigner, you may have a good chance to be hired. I was up there last summer and there were a few from Germany and Austria. I seem to remember a French or Belgian flag on one person, maybe it was Dutch? Canadian? Itailian?

Anyhow, you won't know for sure until you're hired. I say try it and work for the best.

Later

As a foreigner, you may have a good chance to be hired. I was up there last summer and there were a few from Germany and Austria. I seem to remember a French or Belgian flag on one person, maybe it was Dutch? Canadian? Itailian?

I suppose they were working on the basis of their J-1 visas. Since I already have a CPL, this is not possible scenario for me. I do not count on M-1 either because time allowed to to work with M-1 is negligible.

My questions:

Which school they were working at?

Do you know is it possible to get sponsored for a CFI job?

All the best,

C

A few more questions. Is CFI certified flight instructor? What about CFII then? Do you need to pass some tests to become an CFI or something like that? Or do the companies hire who they want after graduated? About how much makes a CFI?

Thanks once again!

Edited by Motox