MI-24 hind D

Chad Lares

Hey, not many Mi-24s privately owned flying in the West, each one worth its weight in gold ;)

I have a friend who's a Hind (Ds and Ws) Crew Chief/Flight Engineer in 49th PSB (Pułk Smiglowcow Bojowych - Combat Helicopter Regiment), if you need anything, let me know, I'll hook you up.

BTW here in Poland the crew is 3-4 people, depends on the job - if its combat related its 4 - Pilot, Gunner, Crew Chief/Door Gunner, and second Door Gunner. Just like on Blackhawks.

• 1 month later...

MI-24 Hind update

Had to get the new form 6 for importation. it just came in last Friday. There was of course a drama related to this entire project that I could write a small novel about, some parts pretty interesting, maybe even "B" rated movie quality but everything is moving forward at this point. It still feels like a crawl but we are getting there.

Someone on here posted about taking flight training at Quantum. yea, I have to get back there and continue on with mine, going back this week for the next step. Had to take a break to make more money for this project! Still looking at late March, early April for it's arrival to Chandler, AZ.

Chad

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having my MI-24 Hind D transported to the Chandler Airport here in Arizona. It's been taking a while to get everything together and the project has had its share of delays. Patience is a word that I am less than thrilled with right now but things are finally moving. Hopefully it will be here late March, early April of 2008. It's being crated up for transportation starting the end of January. Form 6 is approved ( it's in England right now ). This will be quite a switch from flying an R-22.

Chad Lares

Too cool! You need an ex-Navy H-46 pilot and current airline guy to help you fly it?

Have fun with that project bud!

I'm curious to see how it flies. I was co-located with the Poles in Al Kut last year and they had a couple Hinds on their flight line. They liked to come to check out the Blackhawk and let us go see their Hinds (they would do fly-bys and do some limited aerobatics over our compound everynow and then:) They were more than willing to let us look at it, and I think one of their commanders even offered a couple of my guys a ride. Unfortunately that was summarily cancelled by our commander. It would have been a blast though!

Keep us posted... and good luck on the both the project and the museum!

I'm curious to see how it flys as well. From what I gather, everyone on here has actually seen an MI-24, not just in pictures. The project should be fun. I have a lot of people volunteering their time to fly it. I'm still waiting on the people to volunteer putting Fuel in it!!! I'm not some bazillionaire. I'm just an average guy, no, wait, below average because after this helicopter I am all kinds of broke!!! You will see me hanging out next to freeway on-ramps holding up a cardboard sign "need helicopter fuel". Everyone here did notice the cost of fuel going from expensive to stupid right? I'm going to try and take it to next years Chandler Ostrich Festival at Tumbleweed park ( don't ask, you would have to live here to understand the Ostrich Festival, the parade, and how the Hind would fit in as an attraction ). It's right next to the Chandler airport.

The status of the Hind is that it is being readied for transport. All the paperwork has been completed. Looks like it is now going in two 40ft. containers, one open top ( obviously ). The waiting has been an incredible test of patience for me.

Chad

Have fun with that project bud!

I'm curious to see how it flies. I was co-located with the Poles in Al Kut last year and they had a couple Hinds on their flight line. They liked to come to check out the Blackhawk and let us go see their Hinds (they would do fly-bys and do some limited aerobatics over our compound everynow and then:) They were more than willing to let us look at it, and I think one of their commanders even offered a couple of my guys a ride. Unfortunately that was summarily cancelled by our commander. It would have been a blast though!

Keep us posted... and good luck on the both the project and the museum!

Is it at Chandler now? I'm finishing up my private at Quantum and am wondering if I should be looking for it in the traffic pattern?

No, don't look for it until mid-late April. Then you will be able to look out the lounge windows at Quantum and see it.

Chad

• 2 months later...
No, don't look for it until mid-late April. Then you will be able to look out the lounge windows at Quantum and see it.

Chad

Is it here? I have been out to the Chandler airport a couple of times to see a glimpse, but have not seen it. Do you have it at another facility--would love to see it.