Hey there Lefty

One thing happened last Saturday whilst on that XC to annoy the neighbors. After about fifteen minutes after takeoff, my right hand started to ache due to lack of movement. I reached over with my left hand and set it on the cyclic while shaking out my right hand.

This had me concerned-irrational, I know-that something disasterous may happen if I did that. But it got me to thinking; Do others fly with their left hand on the cyclic? Have others experienced unusal manuvers or attitudes?

Input please.

Later

I will fly with my left hand sometimes. Usually if I'm in the left seat, anytime I need to dial in a frequency or update GPS and such I'll move left hand to cyclic and right to do what I need, and then move back. Occasionally on XC's I'll switch hands out every now and then so I don't cramp up, you shouldn't really be holding it so tight you cramp up anyway though, and it should be trimed out for the least amount of pressure as possible. It's in my opinion that as long as you can get your hand back over to the collective quickly, meaning your right hand isn't taken up trying to write a letter or something then I guess I don't see a problem with it. It also kind of depends on what type of helo your flying, and how fast the rotor will decay. Just my $0.02

Crazy how many people post at once. I thought I was going to be the first response to this, then after I submit, there's 2 people ahead of me. Anyway. I usually write stuff on my kneeboard with my right hand also.

Edited by AngelFire_91

Do others fly with their left hand on the cyclic? Have others experienced unusal manuvers or attitudes?

Later

I try to fly with no hands, kinda like when you were riding a bike as a kid. They dont get tired that way.

Seriously, I just had to add, I fly an old B 47 on occasion. Last Saturday was that occasion. It takes about 40 pounds of pull to keep the collective up, after half an hour of that, your left arm is numb. The good news is I dont have to work out afterwards.

Goldy

It takes about 40 pounds of pull to keep the collective up, after half an hour of that, your left arm is numb. The good news is I dont have to work out afterwards.

Goldy

Natch. Who needs Gold's Gym!

So I guess left handed is OK for short periods. Or no hands? THat reminded me of a vid on you tube where the pilot was waving at people on a beach in Rio. He had his hand off the cyclic. It was a Shweizerrrrrrrrrr.

Later

One thing happened last Saturday whilst on that XC to annoy the neighbors. After about fifteen minutes after takeoff, my right hand started to ache due to lack of movement. I reached over with my left hand and set it on the cyclic while shaking out my right hand.

This had me concerned-irrational, I know-that something disasterous may happen if I did that. But it got me to thinking; Do others fly with their left hand on the cyclic? Have others experienced unusal manuvers or attitudes?

Input please.

Later

Well then I guess when it comes time for me to do the training and what not being a lefty I should have no problems with note taking etc.!! Wow one time when being a lefty might actually be a good thing! lol