Off Airport Landings in Class B

You have it right....It's really simple. When you call ATC, tell them your exact intentions and where you're going (cross streets may be enough). They'll want a flight path too. We do it all the time. They usually don't mind unless its on an approach/departure path. If it is, you may need to call them ahead of time on the phone and set it up.

What is important to know is if the intended landing spot is actually "in" class b airspace....

Is it inside the cone area that goes from the surface up? Because that is pretty close to the primary airport....

If it is not "in" class b airspace merely lying under Class B airspace then you don't have to contact anyone as long as you stay out of the class b airspace.

If it is inside that center cone.. then yes, just tell atc your intended landing location and they'll clear you to that point.

Assuming I have permission to land at a off airport site by the property owner... I fly from my home airport in class D airspace.. Granted permission to enter Class B, and I want to land at a site that is not a airport within class B. Do I ask permission from ATC or do I let them know my intentions?

What is the procedure for this.. I usually just fly through Bravo on my way to wherever I am going and then back again.. Never landed within the bravo airspace.. especially not at a off airport type landing..

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance.

Hey Scott, you wouldn't happen to be talking about landing next to the state capitol are ya??

TscottN, this was a good/valid question. You got some good answers. I asked myself, "Does he know how to get back out"? You landed at your off airport site, shut down, took care of whatever business you had. How would you think you are getting out of there? Remember that you need a clearance BEFORE entering/operating in Class B airspace! Also, just as a point of interest on my part, did your CFI ever talk this over with you? My question will be on someone's next Oral for PPC! Fly Safe, Mike

Hey Mikemv,

It's been a while since my private, and I'm not a CFI..just a comm, but if I remember correct, isn't it a requirement to have your students actually go into class B at least once? Thought it had something to do with cross country exp required for the PPL. Dont' know, that's why I'm asking.

p.s. when I had a flight school (never again), I paid others to get the crap scared out of them by the students...the look on their faces on a close call was more than enough for me to pass on the idea... :D CFI's earn every penny!

Well the answer to the question on my wee little private pilot exam (compared to all you higher timers) said to contact the tower as soon as practical after take off. I am guessing after take off because your radio might not hit the tower when you are on the ground. The whole line of sight deal?

Hey Mikemv,

It's been a while since my private, and I'm not a CFI..just a comm, but if I remember correct, isn't it a requirement to have your students actually go into class B at least once? Thought it had something to do with cross country exp required for the PPL. Dont' know, that's why I'm asking.

No, It just has to be at a controlled airport. I did mine in a Delta.

• 3 years later...

Hey guys Here is a video I got to help make about getting in and out of Bravo airspace. I used it a lot to get familiarized with the steps and radio calls I would have to make. Let me know if you guys like it, don't like it, and if you would make any changes to it. Thanks.

TscottN, this was a good/valid question. You got some good answers. I asked myself, "Does he know how to get back out"? You landed at your off airport site, shut down, took care of whatever business you had. How would you think you are getting out of there? Remember that you need a clearance BEFORE entering/operating in Class B airspace! Also, just as a point of interest on my part, did your CFI ever talk this over with you? My question will be on someone's next Oral for PPC! Fly Safe, Mike

Mike,

I used to run into a similar problem when I was flying in and out of the East River. While that airspace is in the Class B Exclusion, when ever there was an UN TFR, we had to get a clearance from LGA tower prior to takeoff. If we couldn't raise them on tower freq, we would use our cell phones to call the tower.

In the olden days before cell phones, we had to be crafty when we had these type of problems. There was an airport I used to fly into that the nearest telephone was 6 miles away. If it was IFR, you couldn't cancel or get a clearance. I know of a couple of pilots that would land, drop their passengers and takeoff. After takeoff they would call 'missed approach.' It was not a very busy airport, no FBO, a VOR appoach and almost no IFR traffic.