CFI Checkride

I just passed my checkride! Because I have my Advanced Ground Instructor I didn't have any FOI questions...all that stress for nothing. I learned more than I taught with him, might be the 25,000 hours he has.

Now for CFII

Jerry

Jerry: Congratulations! Great job.

Last Sunday I passed my checkride and today I was hired for part time by a flight school with plenty of airplanes and one R-22 setup for instruments. I get to fly in the mornings and weekends and I don't have to pay for it anymore. I'll keep my day job for now and pay my loans off; in 2 years I won't need the day job anymore.

YEA

Jerry

Can somebody explain to me what the difference between hover and air taxi is? I'm new and couldn't find the answer by searching or googling. thanks!

It's in your FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook if you have one. But basically, a hover taxi is just that. You're hovering and moving about the surface at normal hover heights and slowly. You can't go too fast. You may have to stop quickly for something (i.e another aircraft taxiing). Any speed would require excessive pitch up (which means tail down) and you don't want that. Usually when repositioning on the ramp or going short distances.

An Air Taxi is when you want to get somewhere farther away in the area faster and without climbing to altitude. Done around 40 - 75' and around 20 - 40 knots. This allows adaquate clearance.

hope this helps.

john

I'm a girl...and a girly-girl at that...and I was not offended. Most of my sisters are completely unintrested in aerodynamics.

If he managed to teach it to his girlfriend..and keep her...then he is doing fine. I think he has explained his position and apologized for any misunderstanding

As a blanket statement...I think you guys are doing great. I haven't met a single man who told me I couldn't do this because of my gender. That includes some old-dog, Vietnam War-era guys who quite frankly, have been the most accepting. The attitude I've gotten....unilaterally has been..."if you know your stuff and can fly...we don't care."

I'm short and tiny and that makes some of the physical tasks a bit daunting. I try to compensate by taking on any job I know I CAN do to make up for it. I'll do your billing if you help me push the heli into the hangar at the end of the day. Bottom line...I won't be dead weight and our tasks will get accomplished. If I can't do it physically I'll pull double my load administratively or mentally. You won't ever be sorry to have me on your team...even if our tasks get re-distributed in a different way.

I was awarded an honorary "man-card" by the instructors and pilots at the flight school where I did my CFI, and I carry it with pride. I'm a practical, sensible, responsible girl as a result of age and experience. I didn't make my gender an issue. What an idea...to recognize that we have differences but to find a way to make them advantages.

Give the guy a break...and fly safe.