• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vote for the best school in the USA. Your opinion counts and price is not of importance. What school would you reccommend for someone looking to make a career out of flying?

I am still trying to decide on the school. I guess there were some things that I may have not considered.

*** please give a few reasons why you suggest the school. I am looking to get as many certifications as possible.

Hands down my vote is for Bristow Academy, the quality, number of helicopters, and professionalism is top notch.

It doesn't matter imo. Once you get to 1000hrs a company won't pass you up because you trained with company X instead of company Y. Just find a school you feel comfortable with, close to home preferably, and one with well maintained equipment.

It doesn't matter imo. Once you get to 1000hrs a company won't pass you up because you trained with company X instead of company Y. Just find a school you feel comfortable with, close to home preferably, and one with well maintained equipment.

I have to disagree with you. The school you train at does matter. It matters to the student in terms of the quality of instruction and how well the school meets your personal needs. I also think it does matter to the employer, just as the college you attend reflects on the quality and reputation to an employer, the same goes for helicopter schools. I chose Bristow after 5 years of researching school because of their reputation within the industry, the quality and personal recommendation of many prior students, and they had all the programs I was interested in. I have also talked with many employers and weather you like it or not in a pile of resumes with all very comparable experience the school you trained at does help get you noticed. I visited many schools and their may not be a "number one" school because we all have different thing we want out of training, but I can guaranty that all schools are not equal, ex silverstate......

What is the best helicopter academy/school in your opinion? Please.

U.S. Coast Guard

As far as civilian schools go there is allot of room for personal preference. The school I attended is the best civilian school in my mind, but so is Bossman's school in his, or Goldy's school in his etc. What is best for me may not be ideal for you and your situation. It is difficult to find a completely objective opinion. Best advice I can give is visit as many schools as possible, and see which one is a good fit for you. You also need to factor things in such as maintenance, weather, airspace etc. Good luck in your search.

I second K-38, excellend post. Thats why there is Chevy's, Fords, Dodges, Toyota's, Nissan's, VW, BMW's, etc etc. Not one maker of an automobile or flight training school is going to be perfect for everyone. I liked the smaller school and family atmosphere where I received my PPL. But others like the bigger schools, nothing wrong with either of them.

I'm very happy with Quantum, so far (2 or 3 more weeks to my private, then on to more interesting things). But, since I've never attended another school, I don't have much to base an opinion on, do I?

Again, do you have any schools close to where you live?

Hi Folks, i'm gonna stick my neck out on this one... with the all stuff flying i'm ducking at the same time. :-)

btw, loved the post with the link to the trucker school... laughed out loud.

I am training at Rotors in Denver, so far love it and would highly recommend the school as well... HOWEVER, i am from Hawaii and can't imagine why you would rather train any where else.... (i'm here as my wife is working on her 3rd masters at U of C Denver).

that being said, check out my review of Rotors.. if i can help you with any other info let me know (including about HI). I love Denver and the area, great skiing, and in the summer mountain biking on the same slopes with lifts to the top (looking forward to that a lot). I do miss the skydiving in Hawaii as the rides from exit are short around here, but the tons of restaurants make up for it.

aloha,

dp

Sorry for the late response to your question. Yes, there are schools were I live in Detroit, Michigan. But, the chances of me being able to teach here after I am done with my training is slim to none. There just isnt a market for it here. Plus it seems to be more expensive to learn to fly in Michigan.

Wouldn't you agree that I have a better chance of teaching at a school that I get certified from?

Yes, you might have a better chance at getting a job with them, but what if they are making that deal with all their students? It will be like SSH, a ton of instructors getting minimal hours per month. I wouldn't make that be the deciding factor about picking a school. You should run the numbers with your schools near by, you will probably be better off going to one of them. Then once you get your CFI you can move to wherever you want and get paid for being there, instead of paying them.

That was great!

Vega, yesterday at 16:42 you said in another thread, "I have decided to go with Mauna Loa." What happened to that decision?

As far as this thread goes, there is no such thing as the "BEST" school. You need to actually go out and visit the schools in person. Just because a school was good for one, doesn't mean it will be best you. Just as all instructors are not the same. A perfect instructor for one person may be completely wrong for another.

My advice again, ACTUALLY GO TO SOME SCHOOLS AND LOOK THEM OVER.

I second BoatFixer, you need to actually visit as many schools as possible. Not all trucking schools are alike, a bigger one with more driving time might suit you better, dont forget to choose one with a Hazmat rating!! Take a roadtrip, feel the breeze and KEEP ON TRUCKIN' :D