• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mauna Loa is still my number one choice. One concern is that I havent really heard too many people comment on it. I havent heard anything bad, I just flat-out havent heard much. Since I only got approved for 20k through Sally May (I applied for 65K), my funds are going to be real tight now. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice. I don't really have the money to spend traveling across the country to visit schools. I definately DO NOT want to be in the dirty glove anymore (Michigan), it really sucks here after the auto industry took a crap.

I probably would travel to the two or three top schools in the country...but I can't seem to get any consistant recommendations from anyone. I guess I will just have to take my chances and dive in blind.

For some odd reason I thought I might be able to get some info about some of the top heli schools from some of the people on this verticle. I guess not, eh?

Mauna Loa - Good school, Hawaii would be nice, ridiculous cost of living. Doesn't sound ideal for someone on a tight budget to me.

You need to do some more research and tell us what schools you are considering. There are too many schools out there to just say "This is the one" based on you not giving us any ideas besides Mauna Loa. You also need to find a way to secure more funds if you're going to do this. Most schools that have a professional pilot program will have lenders that they specifically work with and can help you out.

If you attend a school that is not where you live, you have to consider things like student housing as well.

Now, if you're really serious about becoming a helicopter pilot, I'll give you my opinion.

Bristow Academy is hands down the best route to take to get your foot in the door in this industry right now. The fact that they are owned by Air Logistics parent company is a huge plus when it comes time to get the old resume out and move on to turbine ships. The fact that BA just secured some foreign military training contracts as well increases the need for instructors which can only help you in the long run.

Most schools CAN NOT hire every graduate they produce. It's a fault of flight instruction that one student can not realistically keep one instructor busy all of the time and so you have multiple people competing for one job at the end of your training. Unless you have been able to stand out above the rest, your chances are slim, but possible to get hired at the school you attend.

http://www.heli.com/

That is Bristow Academy's website. It has information on financing, student housing, costs, etc. If you call them, they may even be able to get you set up with another student to share a two bedroom and reduce the cost of housing a bit.

NorCalHeliKid,

is your mom still a truck driver? I heard she gave birth to you somewhere in between Kentucky and the Mississippi. Hows life treating you? Did you ever get those two front teeth of your fixed, or are you still making all the beavers jealous?

At least I have class in the way I make my jokes, just having a little fun with ya. For the record it was Texas and who cares where I was born? Lifes treating me just fine, after all, Im a whole 5 checkrides and a few hundred hours ahead of you. You should try and be more creative than a 5 year old if your gonna fly with the big boys.

Spend 500 bucks on gas and hotels and save yourself thousands in the long run by going on a road trip and finding the school you like.

As for me, I loved my school so much I fought hard to come back and work there as an instructor, lengthing my total time as an nstructor to two years instead of the more traditional 1 year.... If you go on a road trip and find the school that fits best for you, then you will never regret the decision. (wether that be a big school, a small school, a mom and pop operation, a large fast paced school etc etc etc)

Big boys? You sound like a kid to me. I am attempting to get important info on a life-altering decision that I am about to make....and you not once, but twice, interupted the thread with your ignorant posts. Anyone with "class" wouldn't have been so rude to a new-comer. And you may be a senior with your flight time and check rides....but you sure don't act like it. Anyone with experience would have gladly tried to help me instead of mocking me like you did. I would appreciate if you not add any more of your ignorance to this thread. I am not really interested in your dumb sense of humor. Dont bother responding because I blocked you anyways.

I think he was trying to help you out man, its just that you arent taking any of the advice that folks here are giving you, so maybe he decided to have a little joke at your expense. Put your floppy hand down and stop crying. Please get real and stop wasting peoples time with the "vote for the school" garbage.

I can't give you much detail about Bristow-New Iberia school itself since I won't start until March. But I have lived in South La. most of my life and you will save money on cost of living. Gas is usually cheaper than national average. Housing and taxes are much cheaper than alot of places around the country. The food in the city of Lafayette is second only to N.O. in the nation and IMO is better w/ the only exception being the high priced restuarants. As a student you probably won't be dining in any of those anyway. If you don't mind a cajun accent you will find that there is something to southern hospitality. (Besides crawfish season just started) :D

Joe Sheeran seems to be a great guy he answered all my questions and after the SSH fiasco, I had alot of them. CFI's that I met seemed very profesional.

Good luck finding a school.

Mauna Loa is still my number one choice. One concern is that I havent really heard too many people comment on it. I havent heard anything bad, I just flat-out havent heard much. Since I only got approved for 20k through Sally May (I applied for 65K), my funds are going to be real tight now. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice. I don't really have the money to spend traveling across the country to visit schools. I definately DO NOT want to be in the dirty glove anymore (Michigan), it really sucks here after the auto industry took a crap.

I probably would travel to the two or three top schools in the country...but I can't seem to get any consistant recommendations from anyone. I guess I will just have to take my chances and dive in blind.

For some odd reason I thought I might be able to get some info about some of the top heli schools from some of the people on this verticle. I guess not, eh?

Like I said before, there is no BEST school. Have you tried looking under the "reviews" tab for flight schools? There are tons of reviews both good and bad. Maybe that can help you narrow your search. You may like a giant school with dozens of aircraft and instructors, or you may like a mom and pop with one helicopter and instructor (my preference due to the family atmosphere, and I like helping the little guy...but won't help you with getting hired there afterward).

As far as your funding. We've all been there. $20k will get you started, but you're going to need another $40k - $50k at least. And with fuel prices going up everyday, your rental rates are also going to rise.

And as far as NORCALHELIKID making a few jokes, you need to lighten up. First, they were funny. Second, if you can't take a few jokes, you're looking at the wrong career. We are all the focus of jokes at one time or another in this career (whether you fly for a living, or are a weekend aviator).

Good luck.

john

Sorry for the late response to your question. Yes, there are schools were I live in Detroit, Michigan. But, the chances of me being able to teach here after I am done with my training is slim to none. There just isnt a market for it here. Plus it seems to be more expensive to learn to fly in Michigan.

Wouldn't you agree that I have a better chance of teaching at a school that I get certified from?

I realize that nobody wants to put their neck out and recommend one school over the other. I am not asking you to bash any schools. I am just asking for a few good suggestions on schools that I may have over looked or under-rated. I am fresh out of the gate and don't really know much about the helicopter world.

I am really sorry if I come off arrogant, but considering that I am getting ready to invest my life savings and put myself into debt around 40K, I need to make sure that I am making the right choices. Any info would be greatly appreciated on a good school recommendation.

Lee, i'm close to you and i have a flight school (about an hour drive for you). I'm not trying push you but i honestly think you should at least do an intro flight to ensure that this is really what you want to do. I am not a big school and i am a one pilot one helicopter deal. I can provide training from Private through CFI minus the instrument because my helicopter is not a instrument ship.The good thing about Michigan is that it is a smaller market but you tend to know everybody which could help with getting a job later down the road. I am probably more expensive then most schools because all of my training is done in an r-44, with an instructor that comes out to 365/hr. I do not find that expensive for an r-44 but fair perhaps even cheap. But cheap is not the type of training i provide. With the one ship one instructor deal i can assure you everything is one on one. For some people this works better then the classroom mentality. If you were interested in receiving training from more then just one instructor then that can be arranged as well. The deal is that i do this part time and my schedule is extremely flexible. That means i fly when you want to fly because i can easily adjust my schedule. If it is the big school your looking for then i am not your guy. If it is michigan and ohio your trying to leave, then i am not your guy. If you want a CFI job after your training i cannot assure you that as to most schools can't. If you want to fly an r-22 i can give you a name of a school north of detroit. But i do recommend visiting schools your thinking about attending. Below is my website i do not think i showed it to you before.

Intrepid Helicopters

Vote for the best school in the USA. Your opinion counts and price is not of importance. What school would you reccommend for someone looking to make a career out of flying?

I am still trying to decide on the school, but I have to say that Mauna Loa Helicopters is in first place as of now. I guess there were some things that I may have not considered. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

*** PLEASE remember to give a few reasons why you suggest the school you do. And also tell if you are currently a student, a graduate or a teacher of the school you suggest. Thanks.

I am looking to get as many certifications as possible and I want to be trained by the best in the biz. Who do you suggest for a school?

Hello there !

Did You check out MTM Helicopters < www.mtmhelicopters.com> at KLEW in Maine ?!

They are training from "ab-initio " to IFR, Comm, CFI, CFII, ATP... this is small not "factory" school or "fly by numbers" ..it's real ....great instructors, exercising SChweizer 300 CBI , not R22. advanced flying as well in any type , and/or frame.

Yep, and all training done under Part 61 FAR, so it gonna be tailored to You needs and pace.

try them out.

wish You the best.

Cordially,

IGM :rolleyes:

Spence,

Thanks again, but I am not interested in flying or living in Michigan any longer. I am on my way out of this dying town. And if I remember correctly...a guy from your flight school quoted me for 90K for 300 hours. 300 hours isnt really going to get me job and spending 90k is out of my financial budget. I think I have a better shot at going out of state. If for some reason i do stay in the dirty glove....your school is at the top of my list. thanks again.

I appreciate the response but you must of mixed me up with somebody else. I am the only person you would talk to at my school because that number you called is my cell number. I know for a fact i didn't mention 90k but oh well my prices are on the website.

Thanks again and maybe will see ya

Thanks Norcalkid,

thats the first helpful piece of advice you gave. Seriously...thank you.

I seem to remember helping you on your first post when you were wondering about why Sallie Mae didnt want to give you more money than a CFI is worth...right before the trucking school joke.....ah forget it...right before you "decided" on a school and right before you started a second thread for a best school in the whole whole entire universe survey for pilots who are sitting here in horrible weather survey

$90k for 300hrs isn't that bad of a deal, thats only $300/hr for flight time, and if thats in an R44 or has ground training in it even better. To teach in an R22, alot of places are needing 300hrs anyways. So what happens when you get your PPL, CPL, IR, CFI and even CFII, and your only at 200-250hrs? Guess what you will need more money to make it to 300 hours.

There is a place called boatpix and they say $50k for 0-300 hrs. Maybe that is what you need to do. I have found that the best training most of the time is not the cheapest route. You need to decide, do you want good training or the cheapest training....... only you can decide that.

One last note, take a deep breath and relax. Your comments to my buddy norcalkid were down right nasty and uncalled for. When you come back with your snide remarks, it makes you look bad and people are less likely to help you out. This forum has alot of people that will help if you ask the right questions (nicely), listen and do some research on your own as well. As far as spending alot of money, join the club. YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE in the that boat.

Not to start an argument here but I still feel norcalhelikid didn't deserve it and you way over reacted, you are the guest and the new guy in town here. You did thank him for his info, I acknowledge your comment. But you have no idea who he is, what he does or what he might have to offer.

Second, no one is joking about your future, and some light hearted humour is always enjoyed. If you can't take it here, then you will have a bigger problem in the real world if this is how you react online. We are a big family, and you are being a bit pushy from this vantage point.

Lastly, you asked for comments on schools but then have made up your mind to go to the school in your first thread after asking advice here. Kinda rude for all that have tried to offer advice.

I'll reccomend Bristow also. When I first went job hunting and subsequently I was told by at least two owner/operators that they only hire HAI/Bristow grads. I've almost become one of them. I'm not sure about some of the other schools and I'm not naming names but in terms of manuevers some places teach them flat out wrong IMO, especially quickstops. That being said...those places that hire only HAI grads supposedly are almost exclusively Schwiezer schools. I think it was FlingWing, John, that once said, "its best to learn at HAI and instruct somewhere else." I think that was said because Titusville doesnt offer a very varied experience and flying in the same place all the time for your first 1000 hrs can lead to some big suprises when you move on. From what I hear now though dont plan on getting hired there if you're an American male. Its a great school but the international side of it gets emphasized but thats their bread and butter so I dont blame 'em. good luck.

Make your phone calls. My name is Lee Avalon. Call every school in the USA. I kindly asked norcalkid to stick to the topic I STARTED and to be serious after his first joke.... and he continued his bullsh!t. I am really stressed out about my future unlike you. You don't know my situation right now, you dont know anything about me. I am trying to get info as fast as possible so I can get out of my current situation. And to be honest, I really don't don't give a rat's A55 about you, your friend norcalkid or the phone calls you can make. Make em!

ps. Nice threat. Anyone who would judge me from a Post on a website is just as big a tool as you are.

Well Vega (Lee) where should I start?

You've made an attempt to find out what "is the best school" by your inquizitive poll on your post. from the responses and posts, you have NOT done your research into what you have deemed as your future decision of your life. by your posts you are under the age of 25 and not sure how to get into the field you've recently discovered.

Let me give you a little back ground on myself, my first experience on a helicopter was in 1968 where 3 Marine CH-53's landed in the park across from my house. I later joined the NG in 1984 as a Huey mechanic and served them and the civilian sector making sure those aircraft were ready to fly, this meant watching the sunrise everyday I was on duty, wether that was military or civil

This field is not something you go shopping thru your local/national yellow pages and ask uninformed questioned about how to go about getting into the seat of an aircraft. You must read what those have gone thru and learn that this is something that you don't take lightly.

Now reign in your comments and start acting your age and not your shoe size, and start reading what needs to be read.

67november

Here are some links for yah VEGA, since you want recommendations:

www.bluesky-aviation.com/Flight%20Training%20Home.htm

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

www.usmc.com

www.SilverStateHelicopters.com

www.highsierrahelicopters.com

MR VEGA,

I thought you were going to crack my ^&%%^ head open if I was standing in front of you? Good thing you can edit your post and delete that little bit from the last post of yours. It wasn't very nice of you, but I am not expecting much anyways. But considering Vega means "The brightest star in the constellation Lyra", your name just doesn't fit anymore.

BTW, the first link to Blue Sky was a recommendation. Another recommendation from this "Tool" is to get your medical done ASAP. My feeling is that this may limit your flying experiance, and you will not bother the rest of us in the Blue Sky's.

For some sympathy click here-> http://originalforum.justhelicopters.com/M...amp;D83jsd=True

It does give me a warm feeling deep down that I am your hero and roll model "Vega", it seems you have not had many and I would be priviledged to tutor you in any way I can!