What Helicopters of America Did

Bootcamp

Here is a subject requiring clarification: HOA is not related to Pompano Helicopters. Where that idea originated, we have no conception. Our CEO, Darlene, has been the head of this company since it was conceived; the Director of Operations is not the owner; he never was.

Director of Ops

Helicopters of America

http://www.sunbiz.org/pdf/20834462.pdf <--- 2007 corporate filing for Pompano Helicopters

http://www.sunbiz.org/pdf/20833472.pdf <--- 2007 corporate filing for Helicopters of America

public documents

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

67 November, you're a complete prick for posting his website on here, public or not. That's seriously bad form.

Mr nsdqjr you are showing your ignorence posting that 95% of all Helicopter training schools are nothing but scams, I would say that MAYBE the 5% is closer.

Second off, my posting of the link to Mr Shaprio's web site was not drug up from off the internet somewhere it was copied from his very own profile here on this site.

beware of what you say and do in this community as it is VERY small.

nsdqjr,

I sincerely hope you did not include my school in your 95%. I think your math is a little flawed. A lot of people out there really enjoy teaching. We ceretainly do not get rich doing it. Most only survive. You come to West Virginia and I'll try to change your negative attitude.

bossman

Mr nsdqjr you are showing your ignorence posting that 95% of all Helicopter training schools are nothing but scams, I would say that MAYBE the 5% is closer.

Second off, my posting of the link to Mr Shaprio's web site was not drug up from off the internet somewhere it was copied from his very own profile here on this site.

beware of what you say and do in this community as it is VERY small.

Let's clarify some things, shall we? I have not personally polled and researched every single flight school in this country, so forgive me if my numbers aren't 100% accurate. It's called hyperbole, an intentional overstatement to emphasize a point. In my 5 years in this industry I have seen more crooked flight schools than honest ones, that's just the way it is, and since this is a forum based on opinion, I think mine is as valid as yours.

67 November, Robert posted HIS website on HIS profile. That was HIS choice. I'll admit, some of the stuff on his website seemed strange to me, but you intentionally reposted it, complete with a snide comment, in an attempt to belittle him. You're a moderator, therefore representing VR, and it was inappropriate and childish. Since my views aren't aligned with yours, that makes me ignorant. Yours is a valid opinion as well, but that's the way I see it. As far as this industry being a small one, the ONLY way you're going to affect my career is if you and I have a mid-air collision. Everyone I know perceives VR and JH as rumor mills with sometimes enjoyable discourse and the occasional helpful answer. I enjoy reading the forums here too, but if the VR server exploded, then imploded, then exploded again, the rotor wing community would somehow pull itself together and try ever so hard to go on. Folks, say whatever you want here and enjoy it. If an operator doesn't want to hire you because of a post on VR, you REALLY don't want to work for them. Find an employer that values safety, experience, and work ethic instead of your wacky forum post on whether the mic boom on your helmet somehow increases Translating Tendency.

A CFI's primary responsibility is to protect. If Robert, an FAA approved CFI, felt that he was protecting potential students, whether physically or financially, from a shady flight school, then I support him 1000% My loyalties will always follow the pilots. The employers control the money and the operation, they have plenty of power already. My prior post wasn't aimed at any flight school other than HOA. Flight school owners, this is about Robert, not you, put away your egos for a second and read what the kid wrote.

Bossman, you and I have disagreed in the past, but your tenacity and resilience through the whole FAA/Allouette really impressed me. My post was in no way intended to reflect upon you or your operation.

THINK ROBERT and HOA

Edited by nsdqjr

A CFI's primary responsibility is to protect. If Robert, an FAA approved CFI, felt that he was protecting potential students, whether physically or financially, from a shady flight school, then I support him 1000% My loyalties will always follow the pilots.

THINK ROBERT and HOA

O.k. I'm curious now. What about an operator's/CP's responsibility to protect their students, employees, AND assets? Also, if I'm not mistaken, a large portion of the time, the person making the hire/fire decision is also a pilot. The director of ops at HOA is a pilot too isn't he? What about loyalty to him?

I'd rather try to understand the entire situation, if possible, and maintain a loyalty to the profession and it's reputation. I, for one, can't determine the exact truth of this particular situation (both parties have left some questions in my own mind) so, lacking better information, I'm more comfortable maintaining a healthy skepticism about HOA AND R.S. However, I'm sure that my view isn't that important to either party. Just to me.

Based on your previous statement about where your loyalties lie, I can't really see how you can make such a clear cut decision on right vs. wrong either, but I appreciate your straightforward approach.

Finally, I don't see any problem with including a link to an individual's website that they intentionally made public. Especially when the intent of that website is obviously to share details about that individual's life and experiences. Seems appropriate to me.

Best Regards,

Kelly

First off HoA should have never made a promise to hire over the phone. What they should have offered was an opportunity for Robert to inteview with them and perform a checkride BEFORE making an offer. When you apply for any other type of job they don't promise you the position over the phone without an interview or multiple ones at that FIRST. HoA should have never got this guy pumped up for this postition and have him move down there on a phone call without the proper interview / checkride process.

Just my take..

From what I've ready, they did offer an interview ... read their first posting. And the website for this clown - my god ... talk about a Pamper-wearing creep!

HOA did the right thing by not hiring someone who they felt was not safe and proficient. However, when it comes to hiring him over the phone, not paying for his time, charging him for flights, and giving him false hopes that convinced him to stay there for as long as me did and pay for checkrides, I think they are completely in the wrong and need to reimburse Mr. Shapiro.

I remember my first EMS job. The entire class was hired without a flight and one guy had something like 30,000 hours flying for oil companies in Africa. This guy could out fly everyone there including the chief pilot. However, he had absolutely no experience in airspace. After about 15 hours and he still couldn't effectively transition through airspace, he was deeply apologized to by the company, paid for his time, and they covered all travel expenses. This is a professional way to do things.

If a company says you are hired and you move for them, they better make sure you are up to fulfilling the job. If HOA was a professional operation, they would have paid for an airline flight, put him up in a hotel, and paid for all the checkrides themselves. Asking him to pay is a HUGE red flag.

I won't even consider interviewing with a company unless they pay for all my travel expenses outside of maybe a 3 or 4 hour drive at most. Yes, I did have a hard time finding time building jobs, but the ones I did have were well paying and treated me as a professional. Now I have probably the cushiest job here and it is not EMS. LOL

I think HOA needs to stand up and bite the bullet. They filled this young man's head with false hopes and should pay for their mistakes. They can afford to dish out a couple thousand a lot more comfortably than a starving time builder.

My advice for Mr. Shapiro - Get EVERYTHING in writing.

HOA did the right thing by not hiring someone who they felt was not safe and proficient. However, when it comes to hiring him over the phone, not paying for his time, charging him for flights, and giving him false hopes that convinced him to stay there for as long as me did and pay for checkrides, I think they are completely in the wrong and need to reimburse Mr. Shapiro.

My advice for Mr. Shapiro - Get EVERYTHING in writing.

Everything you said is pretty much my take on the situation too based on the info that's available.

Well said.

Kelly

Rocky Mountain Pilot, you are, of course, correct. Unfortunately, treatment like that from a flight

school not that uncommon. Mr. Shapiro should have taken a deep breath, though, before he

posted his side of the story online. He has very little to gain and will probably regret it later.

I agree that he should have thought about it more, because he doesn't appear to come across in the best light. However, just because poor treatment of people is very common doesn't make it right. Heck, the vast majority of this society has animals tortured and killed for their pleasure, but it is very much a norm of society and I am sure most people here would ferociously defend their right to eat a hamburger. Still doesn't make it right or ethical.

I am glad he made his post because it did make HOA make some very unprofessional statements that may warn other future candidates of their unethical business practices.

Heck, the vast majority of this society has animals tortured and killed for their pleasure, but it is very much a norm of society and I am sure most people here would ferociously defend their right to eat a hamburger. Still doesn't make it right or ethical.

I would ferociously defend your right to NOT eat a hamburger if you don't want to. I don't think I have to defend my right to eat one though. Now, if someone were to start telling folks they couldn't eat burgers because other parties (largely in the minority) felt it was wrong, that might be something we'd have to discuss. : )

Kelly

I think both parties, if not lying, are probably being a little deceptive to benefit their side of their argument, but that usually happens in heated debate.

I'm glad Robert started this thread. Even for those of us that never will have the opportunity to interact with either Robert or Helicopters of America, there are several really good lessons to be learned from this discussion. As someone that will be trying to get hired as a pilot in the next couple of years, I've definitely learned what to watch out for in potential employers. I'm sure others can say the same.

I have interviewed for companies out of town and out of state, and I've never had them pay my freight when I went for an interview. I don't know of any helicopter school that would hire somebody on the phone. I was never hired for any position on the phone. What's unprofessional is Mr. Shapiro (think, wah wah wah) posting a diatribe like he did. For heaven's sake, this guy cries like an Iraqi torture prisoner on display in the White House Rose Garden, with the thorns still in him.

Shap looks like a kid, still, by the pictures on his website, and he seems to have a lot of drinks in his hand in a lot of pictures. Whoa! Let's go fly for America West, Robbie!!!!

I agree that he should have thought about it more, because he doesn't appear to come across in the best light. However, just because poor treatment of people is very common doesn't make it right. Heck, the vast majority of this society has animals tortured and killed for their pleasure, but it is very much a norm of society and I am sure most people here would ferociously defend their right to eat a hamburger. Still doesn't make it right or ethical.

I am glad he made his post because it did make HOA make some very unprofessional statements that may warn other future candidates of their unethical business practices.

Did I imply that poor behavior was acceptable? Didn't mean to. People derive "pleasure" from

"animals tortured and killed"? Come on. I would not say eating a hamburger is unethical.

I would say how some of the meat is brought to market, is. Is a 3 year old eating a Happy Meal

engaging in unethical behavior and getting pleasure from torturing animals?

As for Mr. Shapiro: he runs the risk of being labeled a "trouble maker" even if his version of the

events is 100% correct. Putting a story like that on the internet and then putting your name to it

is a high risk activity. Whether he is right or wrong is irrelevent. What if he walked into your

flight school looking for a job? Let's see...you have 15 resumes.. and you have the guy who

publicly bad-mouthed his prevous employer online. I wouldn't take a chance that he would be

broadcasting percieved ill treatment if it didn't work out. Would you? Can you say Google?

Going into an interview and ripping your last employer is about the quickest way to be shown

the door I know of. That's essentially what he's done.

I would not say eating a hamburger is unethical.

Of course you wouldn't. And the owners of HOA wouldn't say their actions are unethical. But we you greatly impact other people negatively, you are being unethical.

I think the hamburger is from the dead horse this thread is beating....its starting to sound like a 3rd grade phillosophy class in here.

Lesson 1: Dont trust what a potential employer tells you over the phone, in person, or in braile.

Lesson 2: Dont put yourself all over the internet unless you've got nice boobs and a pretty face.

I think the hamburger is from the dead horse this thread is beating....its starting to sound like a 3rd grade phillosophy class in here.

Lesson 1: Dont trust what a potential employer tells you over the phone, in person, or in braile.

Lesson 2: Dont put yourself all over the internet unless you've got nice boobs and a pretty face.

They don't teach Philosophy in 3rd grade. If they did, we would live in a much better world with more caring and compassion people.

Gerhardt: This site is not, and will not turn into another JH. We work very hard to prevent it, but we walk a fine line deciding what is and is not acceptable. We (the moderators) aren't perfect, so the site won't be either.

To everyone else: Both parties to this debate, Robert Schapiro and HOA, have spoken their piece. Both were allowed, and will continue to be permitted, to post their opinions on any subject. Others were allowed to post their opinions concerning the topic, and there is a healthy exchange occurring. With that in mind, I am closing this topic to prevent it from becoming an all out flame war. This is the fine line I just spoke of...

If anyone has pertinent information that should be included in this thread please PM me, and I will add it.