Need some Advice

Alright, well here's the thing. I want to be a helicopter pilot, that's priority #1 for me right now. I'm 22 Years Old, I live in North Carolina, and I was going to go to the new branch of Silver State Helicopters they put up in NC - Well, I WAS until they went bankrupt, thank God I wasn't involved. Anywho, 2 of the main reasons I wanted to go with them is that they said you didn't have to pay anything up front, and I could also live at home while I went to their flight school. Those were 2 BIG advantages considering I'm 22, I have almost 0 credit (which means I can't get a loan), and I have no money saved up.

So now that Silver State is no longer in existence, I'm wondering how on earth I can afford to go to helicopter school, and where I should go. Seems to me the only viable solution right now is to join the military, they pay for everything, AND you get a paycheck on top of that. But the way I see it, I'd be committing 4 years of my life to something that does not guarantee to make me a helicopter pilot.

So what should I do?

Quiz, I highly recommend that you do some serious reading in these forums. by your post you appear to be a bit ill informed as to what it takes to become a helicopter pilot.

good luck and good reading.

Yep, I agree, you should do some more research about everything.

And I think the WOT program is an 8 year commitment, not 100% sure though...

Alright, well here's the thing. I want to be a helicopter pilot, that's priority #1 for me right now. I'm 22 Years Old, I live in North Carolina, and I was going to go to the new branch of Silver State Helicopters they put up in NC - Well, I WAS until they went bankrupt, thank God I wasn't involved. Anywho, 2 of the main reasons I wanted to go with them is that they said you didn't have to pay anything up front, and I could also live at home while I went to their flight school. Those were 2 BIG advantages considering I'm 22, I have almost 0 credit (which means I can't get a loan), and I have no money saved up.

So now that Silver State is no longer in existence, I'm wondering how on earth I can afford to go to helicopter school, and where I should go. Seems to me the only viable solution right now is to join the military, they pay for everything, AND you get a paycheck on top of that. But the way I see it, I'd be committing 4 years of my life to something that does not guarantee to make me a helicopter pilot.

So what should I do?

I'll second the advice 67November offered you. This forum is an excellent resource to learn more about the industry, expectations and the various challenges associated with flying helicopters (at least it has been for me as a new student).

Also, if you're near Raleigh, NC Rotor and Wing (http://www.ncrotorandwing.com) is a nearby school and after you get some bearings through personal research on what is involved in the training and financing, I'd suggest going out there and talking to Craig or one of the guys that teach there and maybe take a demo flight to see if it's really what you're interested in (assuming it's near your area). They're pretty straight forward and will give you an honest estimate on time and price.

However, I would also say, look around and take some time before diving into anything. It's a big committment and not a path to jump onto lightly.

Good luck,

Kelly

So what should I do?

Well, I'm not in too much different a position than yourself. Young, not much money, no credit.

There's really not much you can do if you can't get a loan. You just have to save up the money, plain and simple. There are things you can do to make it less expensive, check out Reducing Flight Training Costs, but you just have to figure out how to reduce your monthly expenses and increase your income.

For instance, I moved back in with my parents, got a good paying job doing shitty work that will let me work a LOT of overtime, decided to sell my motorcycle, and cut all of my other expenses down as much as much as possible. I'll be able to bring home $800/week, after taxes, with my new job because I'll be working a lot of overtime. I currently have about $200/week in expenses. That leaves $600/week extra. Unfortunately, I have $30,000 in private college loans with a high interest rate that I HAVE to pay off first. Once I do pay off my debt, that $600/week will allow me two lessons per week. I'll probably further delay starting lessons until I have enough saved up to take three or four lessons per week.

When it all comes down to it, you just have to do it the hard way.

not trying to be redundant here, but i agree with all the above mentioned suggestions.

take your time. consider it a blessing and a second chance that you didn't get on board with ssh. if you think its hard now, with no credit or cash, consider the $70k you'd have sitting over your head.

ask a ton of questions too. the guys *and ladies, on this forum are terrific, with valuable insight. take advantage of their knowledge.

good luck to ya bqmassey

Quizzicality, first off...I see you only have a few posts. I agree that you should really look into this if you haven't to understand what you're getting into (granted, I'm just now starting my training, but I've worried other people to death about this industry :) ) Anyway, don't hesitate to use this board's search to find plenty of answers, not to mention ask all the questions that you are curious about. The people are this board are GREAT, as ohman stated. You'll even find answers to things you never knew you had questions about :unsure: ;) Anyway, I'm not sure how close you are to Elkin, NC. There's a place there called Tomlinson Aviation, based out of Ormond Beach, Florida. This is the school that I'll be attending hopefully starting next month. If you're in driving distance, it'd be perfect. I'm also 22, but I have probably a little more credit than the average 22 y/o. I have a few previous unsecured loans from my bank around $9,000 total, a few vehicles, and currently a home mortgage (it's a trailer, but still a home :) ) so I think that has helped me a lot. Sallie Mae offered me 12,000 to start my training. From what I have gathered to other former students from different schools, SLM usually does this to get your relationship with them started. At least, I hope so. Anyway, if you have any questions about Tomlinson or anything, feel free to PM me. Sorry about the long post.......Good luck

Edited by LFGuard10

Look around at several schools in your area before making a decision. If you can move to go to school that will open you options even more. When you visit, ask a lot of questions. Look around and get a feel for things. If you can, talk with students there and ask how they like it so far. Lastly, take a demo flight. This will help you get a feel for the instructor, how they teach there and introduce you to flying. You may find that you don't like it and that it's not for you.

If you decide on a school, ask about financial aid. Some schools are "approved" meaning they will be able to offer Government financial aid based on income. You may try a co-borrower if need be. However, it is best you borrow as little as possible. As the previous poster said, keep expenses down and save as much as you can. Don't dig a hole you can't get out of.

The helicopter industry is not easy to get into. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work. The general path takes you through school to become a CFI. Then you would be teaching for a 1 1/2-2 years before you would have the hours required for other positions. Nothing is a sure thing. You may or may not be hired at the school you go to. It really depends on your attitude, abilities and if they have an opening. You may end up looking elsewhere for a job in which case you may have to relocate. To give you an idea, I moved 4 times so far. This includes moving for school and jobs along the way.

CFI's don't make a lot, perhaps $30,000/yr maybe more. It depends on the school, pay and how busy they are. Then you would be able to get into working in the Gulf of Mexico or tours in Alaska or the Grand Canyon. Pay there would start at $52,000/yr.

The two hardest things for those now starting is how to pay for it and landing that CFI job. If you get there you'll be ok.

I have a lot of respect for the military. I don't know anything about this route so you'll have to ask around.

I hope this helps you some. I just wanted to give you my perspective and it's no cake walk but you are doing the right thing so far. That is researching.

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

Look around at several schools in your area before making a decision. If you can move to go to school that will open you options even more. When you visit, ask a lot of questions. Look around and get a feel for things. If you can, talk with students there and ask how they like it so far. Lastly, take a demo flight. This will help you get a feel for the instructor, how they teach there and introduce you to flying. You may find that you don't like it and that it's not for you.

If you decide on a school, ask about financial aid. Some schools are "approved" meaning they will be able to offer Government financial aid based on income. You may try a co-borrower if need be. However, it is best you borrow as little as possible. As the previous poster said, keep expenses down and save as much as you can. Don't dig a hole you can't get out of.

The helicopter industry is not easy to get into. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work. The general path takes you through school to become a CFI. Then you would be teaching for a 1 1/2-2 years before you would have the hours required for other positions. Nothing is a sure thing. You may or may not be hired at the school you go to. It really depends on your attitude, abilities and if they have an opening. You may end up looking elsewhere for a job in which case you may have to relocate. To give you an idea, I moved 4 times so far. This includes moving for school and jobs along the way.

CFI's don't make a lot, perhaps $30,000/yr maybe more. It depends on the school, pay and how busy they are. Then you would be able to get into working in the Gulf of Mexico or tours in Alaska or the Grand Canyon. Pay there would start at $52,000/yr.

The two hardest things for those now starting is how to pay for it and landing that CFI job. If you get there you'll be ok.

I have a lot of respect for the military. I don't know anything about this route so you'll have to ask around.

I hope this helps you some. I just wanted to give you my perspective and it's no cake walk but you are doing the right thing so far. That is researching.

If I was younger I would do what my younger brother did and go military. He is a Chinook pilot stationed in Clarksville TN. He is 2 years from retirement (I'm just looking to get started in helicopters). 35 and two years from retirement....pfffft. He doesn't plan on retiring because he likes his miltary career, his lifestyle and he likes flying chinooks. Being a military pilot hasn't affected his marriage negatively.

Yes he gets deployed (3rd time in middle east coming up) but he is proud of what he does and he enjoys flying that much that he doesn't flinch when his unit is gets deployment orders.

Last time down to his house he put me on their simulator and showed me his brand spanking new Chinook and spent a couple hours detailing the improvements and superiority over his previous Chinook which was in the hangar next to it partially dissambled.

Did I mention he is proud of what he does?

Ground pic is in front of his old Chinook "Holy Roller" and the other is from when he was stationed in the Phillipines.

post-11862-1204003932_thumb.jpg

post-11862-1204003996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fiasco

Like everyone else said, just take your time and come up with a plan on how to do it. I've spent the last few months visiting different schools, reading stuff online, and talking to current pilots. As far as going the military route though, don't do it if you are only interested in the flying. You'll be a military officer first, and then the flying part comes second. Also, the commitment is for about 6-8yrs, and not to mention putting your life on the line. However, if you do want to serve your country in the military there are some very good benefits you could get. If you are leaning that way, don't forget to check out the Reserves or the National Guard also. And fiasco, your brother can definitely be proud of what he's doing. Cool picture, he doesn't happen to be assigned to the 160th SOAR does he?

Edited by rjl2001

Like everyone else said, just take your time and come up with a plan on how to do it. I've spent the last few months visiting different schools, reading stuff online, and talking to current pilots. As far as going the military route though, don't do it if you are only interested in the flying. You'll be a military officer first, and then the flying part comes second. Also, the commitment is for about 6-8yrs, and not to mention putting your life on the line. However, if you do want to serve your country in the military there are some very good benefits you could get. If you are leaning that way, don't forget to check out the Reserves or the National Guard also. And fiasco, your brother can definitely be proud of what he's doing. Nice pictures too, is he aerial refueling? I thought only the Army's 160th SOAR Chinooks had refueling probes.

160th SOAR is based at Ft Cambell KY. That's where he's stationed :D NightStalkers

couple more

post-11862-1204009664_thumb.jpg

post-11862-1204009922_thumb.jpg

post-11862-1204010093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fiasco

Seems to me the only viable solution right now is to join the military, they pay for everything, AND you get a paycheck on top of that.

Sounds like a great deal to me. Instead of paying 75K which will take you at least 5 or 6 years to pay off. You join, you get out in 8 years, you're now 30 years old with a couple thousand hours, and everyone is knocking down your door offering you a job..

Yeah, you're right, SSH would have been the way to go.

Like everyone said, research. I don't provide financing. Leave it up to the student. If they only have enough to fly an hour a week from each paycheck I tell them to save up for about 20hrs then come see me. It does no good to fly that little at first. I bet in 6 months you could have enough to get 20hrs of flying. But keep saving!!!!

I do all I can to save them money. Ground school is cheap. Start reading on your own, study for the PVT test, it is good for two yrs from the day you pass it. Find an instructor and start studying. You will learn a lot from the books. I have had students start there flying with the written completed. When you do start flying with that done you will understand more and can focus on flying more.

Take it one license at a time. Like a college degree. Dont get overwhelmed on becoming a CFI. Break it down into stages. Getting from PVT to Comm is the longest road if you are paying for it yourself.

One of my students has 4 kids and a house, makes little money but he got a bank loan to get the PVT. His thought was if he doesn't start now, and waits until he has enough money to become a CFI then he will never get it done. It has been a long road for him (yr and half) but he has 95hrs. I see the dedication and passion he has to become a pilot. He is the first guy I call when I need someone to fly with me. I let him fly and log the PIC time for free.

I wish you the best and get all of the advise you can from here and from local pilots.

Good luck

Ground pic is in front of his old Chinook "Holy Roller" and the other is from when he was stationed in the Phillipines.

1st off; Love the 'stash, you're not a pilot unless you have the 'stash :P

2ndly; the pic of the Chinooks and the fueler is what dreams are made of... B)

Sorry for the hijack; please continue...

Edited by Future206Pilot

I was drawn in by the ad for Silver State Helicopters on the radio in my area. I am looking for a good flight school in Northern Virginia that offers financing.

Anyone out there have any advice?

Look at American Helicopters there on the out skirts of DC. I went up there and talked with them and they have a really nice school and plenty of 22's. they offer financing through Sllie Mae.

Good luck

So what should I do?

Don't give up save the money and go take an intro flight make sure it's what you want and there are loans out there through sllie mae that have a year long differd payments until you graduate I just got one but im still in the Navy and they still didnt give me enough but take what you can get.You will have to find a co-signer with good credit if you don't have any. And for the Army flight school i have a friend that just finished his Basic flight school and starts flying the Apache this week. He loves it but there is alot of hard work they are feeding you flight school with a fire hose and if you don't pick up what is tought in flight you could get rolled back or worse drop. You also could join the military for a minimum tour and get your GI Bill. you can use it once you get past your PPL they will pay 60% of any flight training for all other ratings. If you have any further questions i'll be glade to help.