Recruiter run around

Any info on the following will very helpful;

I have spoken with the XO of my aviation local Res. unit and he believes I am a good candidate. I am trying to get together a WOFT packet. The recruiter that was recommended to me is not very motivated about the project. Getting answers from him is like pulling teeth, much less getting to schedule anything for me. So I need some advice please.

My background,

I am prior military (4yrs active navy and 3yrs army national guard). I have been out since sept. 2000

35yrs old. I have 62 college credits but no degree. Journeyman electrician 10yrs in trade. For the last 3yrs I have been doing some flight training. Fixed wing PPL 120hrs, commercial ins. rotorcraft 220hrs(out of $)

Several people have told me that I am still competitive for WOFT. Is this true?

Any advice anyone could give me will be appreciated.

Anyone who doesn't tell you that your age is going to be one of the biggest hurdles for coming from the civilian sector is not being totally honest with you. I don't think I've ever met anyone who has gone "High School to Flight School" or "Street to Seat" who has received an exception to policy for age, unless they were previously an aviation officer in another branch of service. I'm not saying don't try, I'm just advising you from this perspective, that is your biggest hurdle.

Now, if the XO is giving you that opinion based on a slot in his Reserve unit, I can't speak for that specific situation, but if you're looking for competing for a slot in the "general population" (active duty), you have an uphill battle.

If I may throw in my 2 cents... I met 3 guys while I was flight school who were true street to seat with age waivers, with no prior military at all. 2 of them being from the reserves.

If you don't atleast try, that is a definite NO.

CHAD

Any info on the following will very helpful;

I have spoken with the XO of my aviation local Res. unit and he believes I am a good candidate. I am trying to get together a WOFT packet. The recruiter that was recommended to me is not very motivated about the project. Getting answers from him is like pulling teeth, much less getting to schedule anything for me. So I need some advice please.

My background,

I am prior military (4yrs active navy and 3yrs army national guard). I have been out since sept. 2000

35yrs old. I have 62 college credits but no degree. Journeyman electrician 10yrs in trade. For the last 3yrs I have been doing some flight training. Fixed wing PPL 120hrs, commercial ins. rotorcraft 220hrs(out of $)

Several people have told me that I am still competitive for WOFT. Is this true?

Any advice anyone could give me will be appreciated.

I am a warrant recruiter but have not been for very long. However I have been in recruiting for over 10 years. You have a shot at this and you must act quickly if you really want it to happen. I won't speak for your recruiter but I will tell you that your looking not only to be a pilot but and officer. Do not let the recruiter control your destiny. I know from where I stand a prior service applicant could schedule all parts of the process without a recruiter. The recruiter can guide you only and you could still get the necessary process complete. Your recruiter should be more receptive of your desire to better yourself as a solder and become more of an asset to the military but that is not always the case. Good luck and you make this happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Update;

Meps went well (same ole same ole). I took the AFAST today and scored 113. Not great but passing.

Last week My recruiter said he would set up the flight physical for me after the AFAST but when I called him today he said it was up to me to do that. I'm suppose to call Ft. Sam Houston to do this.

I don't know who to call or even what exactly to ask for. Type one flight physical?

help.

Pretty sure it will be a Initial 1W physical, if you just tell them that it is for your INITIAL Warrant Officer Flight Physical, they will know... Linc would probably know exactlywhat the designation is. The best thing to do ... Click on the link that I found, and call them, asking for the fone number to the flight surgeon, someone will know it. By the way, congrats!!

http://fshtx.army.mil/sites/services/medical.asp

CHAD

• 4 weeks later...

O.K so I went for the flight phys. at Fort Sam Houston. The flight surgeon said they didn't find anything that would disqualify me but it still needs to be reviewed by Fort Rucker.

I interviewed with a CW4 at the unit and he wrote me a letter for my packet. He is an aviator and an SIP.

The X.O. said he would write me one if i need it. I'm not sure I do. I already have one from a Navy LCmdr who is a pilot and an Air Force Capt.. Would it be better from The X.O.?

The recruiter is getting a little better. He is still not the superiorly motivated human being I would like him to be. I'm trying to get him to do my background check but he wants to wait for my phys. to come back from Rucker (in 2 weeks).

anybody know the name of the form and how long it takes? is there any reason why i need to wait for the phys. to come back?

Also the age waiver. who requests this? Should I write the memo? If so what does it need to say and is there any format I should follow?

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Tex,

If your flight physical was approved by the flight surgeon you saw, you should be good to go. The flight surgeons at Rucker only (to my knowledge) review to see that everything was done properly, and is within limits. That shouldn't be an issue.

As for the age waiver, I'm pretty sure your recruiter will have to do that. You writing it isn't a bad idea, it would probably speed things up, just the wording is what the issue will be.

The LOR's... You don't NEED another, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. I personally had 5 LOR's in my packet.

I don't know if there is a different form number, but the physical is called your Initial Class 1W.

CHAD

Tex, I believe the background form is an SF-86....or SF-87...and depending on how much you have moved around in your travels, it could be fairly simple, or take a while to track down all of your references....good luck!

Ryan

Tex-pilot,

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I would say I'm about as far along as you are with you packet minus the medical.

Attached is the sf-86 and it is the form you are looking for! As for the processing time, I sent my to my recruiter back in November and still haven't heard anything! But then again I've been living abroad for 7 years now so I really think it depends on a person's current situation.

Good luck to you!

The recruiter is getting a little better. He is still not the superiorly motivated human being I would like him to be. I'm trying to get him to do my background check but he wants to wait for my phys. to come back from Rucker (in 2 weeks). anybody know the name of the form and how long it takes? is there any reason why i need to wait for the phys. to come back?
The reason he wants to wait for the physical is to prevent him from "wasting time" doing your background check if you have a problem with your physical. Each step in this process is a time-investment for him. His time is taken up with a lot of other tasks that have more priority towards meeting the station and the battalion's mission (since, IIRC, individual recruiters no longer have individual missions).