I am very intrested in applying for a pilot slot in the Coast Guard. I am a college junior so the only route for me will be ocs. So my questions are: Can you apply for flight school at the same time your applying for ocs? Basically, what i am saying is i dont want to obligate myself to the Coast Guard if I can't fly. So is there a way i can gurantee myself a slot without being commited? I don't want to be stuck on a ship pushing a pencil and wishing i was flying. Thanks for the help.  :bowdown:

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe the Coast Guard trains its own pilots (initial training that is). I think you have to have 500 verifiable military hours with the last military hour being within the last 2 years or 500 military hours and 1 year of civilian commercial piloting within the last 2 years.

Chris

HeloPilot, you are correct the CG doesn't do the inital training on its pilots. All Coast Guard aviators without prior military flight school are sent to Pensacola to train with the Navy. But my no means do you have to have prior ratings to be a CG aviator. Many people apply from withing the Coast Guard and get pilot slots. But my question is can I apply for a pilot slot before i go to ocs?? Or do i have to just take my chances and hope for the best?

This should answer it.  You are indeed right. But they decide no guarantee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OCS is a rigorous seventeen-week course of instruction which prepares candidates to serve effectively as officers in the United States Coast Guard. In addition to indoctrinating students into a military life-style, OCS also provides a wide range of highly technical information necessary for performing the duties of a Coast Guard officer.

Graduates of the program receive a commission in the Coast Guard at the rank of Ensign and are required to serve a minimum of three years of active duty. Graduates may be assigned to a ship, flight training, to a staff job, or to an operations ashore billet. However, first assignments are based on the needs of the US Coast Guard. Personal desires and performance at OCS are considered. All graduates must be available for world wide assignment.

Applicants for Officer Candidate must be between the ages of 21 and 26. Applicants may exceed this age limit by the number of months, up to 60, served on active duty in any Armed Forces branch.

Military Status:

Applications are accepted from college seniors currently enrolled in any ROTC program and any members of Armed Forces Reserves. These applicants must provide a release from all other service obligations prior to entering the Coast Guard.

Citizenship:

All applicants must be United States citizens.

Officer Screening Tests:

All applicants must provide a qualifying score on the SAT, ACT, or ASVAB. No waivers will be considered. Minimum qualifying scores are as follows:

SAT: combined 1000 on verbal and math

ACT: 23

ASVAB: 110 on ASVAB General Technical Aptitude Area

A full medical screening will be conducted in accordance with your application.

Educational Qualifications:

Applicants must be in their senior year at or hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university. Active duty Coast Guard personnel E-5 and above with at least four years of active duty in any Armed Forces have different educational qualifications. Contact your unit Educational Service Officer.

If you have ALREADY been selected for OCS the Pre-Reporting Guide will assist you in preparing for the transition.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/DCPrograms/ocs.htm

• 2 weeks later...
The Coast Guard does not guarantee flight school before you go to OCS.  You are constantly being evaluated and tested in OCS to see if you have what it takes to do certain jobs, and depending on how well you do in OCS, the better your odds of getting the assignment you want.  The Coast Guard is sending a fair amount of people to flight school now, so if you do well in OCS and are are physically qualified for flight school your odds are pretty good of getting it.  We also have a lot of guys that wanted flight school, but didn't get it right out of OCS and went to a ground assignment first.  If you do well there, you can reapply for flight school, and I have seen several people get picked up for flight school this way.  Except for Coast Guard Direct Commission Aviators, which are fully qualified military pilots that branch transfer to the Coast Guard, all OCS and Coast Guard Academy student pilots first go to Pensacola to Navy flight training, and then on to the Coast Guard's Aviation Training Center in Mobile Alabama for specific aircraft training.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ever think of Army OCS?  That was the route I went, but again, no promise of what you are going to get in the end.  Needs of the Army.  I lucked out. I fly CH-47Ds but was originally branched Field Artillary.  Luckily, I requested a rebranch before training started and got it. (of course being a chinook and cobra crewchief prior to that probably helped.

rotorheadsmiley

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am planing on applying to WOFT in the spring. That route has always been in the back of my head and so i am just going to apply and see what happens. Then maybe down the road I can go through the CG's DCA program to fly SAR. Oh and by the way if anyone is considering flying for the Coast Guard they DO have a guranteed aviation program it is called Blue 21

:cheers:

• 8 years later...

So I know this thread is old (like, "I was in 4th grade when it was written" old), but I have looked at CG helicopters a bit too, and more specifically, the CSPI/Wilkes flight initiative.

The Wilkes Flight Initiative, if i understand correctly, gives qualified applicants a guaranteed flight slot before going to OCS if the student is in CSPI.

As a high school senior, I've been getting a lot of college mail, and one college that stood out to me was Howard University. While I may not be bent on going there, they do have the coast guard CSPI, as it is a "historically black college/university," and to my understanding, CSPI only operates on these campuses.

Now, hypothetically, if I were to go to Howard University, would I be able to enter the CSPI/Wilkes flight initiative? Howard University itself is not exclusively Black. Majority yes, about 78%, and about 4% white, 6% asian, etc. Is the CSPI/WiFI open to all races, ethnicities, etc. (I ask because I am white)?

I also understand that I must ask myself if I would like going to school in DC, if I would enjoy a campus where I do not necessarily fit in in terms of demographics, and these other big questions. I only ask this because the program piqued my interest.