Fixed Wing vs. Rotor Wing

Guest rotorflyr84

Guest rotorflyr84

I've been flying fixed wing for awhile, and I constantly here and read a lot about the stability of the airlines. However, I really don't know much about the Rotor Wing side of the industry in terms of the short and long term job outlooks, stability, etc. Just wondering if anyone could throw some information my way in regards to this issue. I can only guess that this subject has been touched on quite a few times, so I apologize if this is another one of those threads.

Thanks for your help!

Why not add dual-rated outlooks to this as well? I've had my fixed wing private for nearly a decade now (expensive weekend hobby) and have recently started rotary with an eye toward a career change. I'm also contemplating bringing my FW back up to currency once I get more proficient with the helicopters (no need to confuse new skills with other habits), and to go on to at least commercial. What is out there for this combo?

Guest rotorflyr84
Why not add dual-rated outlooks to this as well? I've had my fixed wing private for nearly a decade now (expensive weekend hobby) and have recently started rotary with an eye toward a career change. I'm also contemplating bringing my FW back up to currency once I get more proficient with the helicopters (no need to confuse new skills with other habits), and to go on to at least commercial. What is out there for this combo?

We're basically in the same situation. I have my PPL-SEL and I'm about to finish up my Instrument-Airplane rating. I was thinking of going to commerical SEL, and then going back to Rotorwing. What is making you choose the helicopter side of aviation instead of going all the way with fixed wing...if you don't mind me asking?

We're basically in the same situation. I have my PPL-SEL and I'm about to finish up my Instrument-Airplane rating. I was thinking of going to commerical SEL, and then going back to Rotorwing. What is making you choose the helicopter side of aviation instead of going all the way with fixed wing...if you don't mind me asking?

Not long after we started dating, my girlfriend noticed that I'm not particularly interested in what I'm currently doing (I'm in IT) and that I seemed to get the most excited when I saw an airplane/helicopter/(sometimes)bird fly overhead an encouraged me to start looking into changing careers to something aviation-oriented.

At the time I was making decisions, it seemed to me that the most common route for fixed wing is through the airlines. I have an ex who's father is an airline captain and he spent half his life living in hotels. No, thank you. Then - I'll be honest about this - Silver State started bombarding the area with their advertizing, and it caught my imagination (which is, I'm sure, what their advertizing is all about). It seemed to me, at the time, the the odds of getting a job where I could come home every night was greater than in the fixed wing world. I've since learned I may have been mistaken about that, but I'm having a blast, so I'll just stick with it.

So I went to take a look and even got as far as applying. They turned down my app because the bank they did their financing through wouldn't issue me a student loan because I already had a fair amount from my college days - so, I guess I dodged a bullet there. I started looking around and found Quantum, who not only seemed to have their sh*t together more and could get me financing, even with my student loans, they are also about 15 minutes closer to where I live. Since then, I've looked into streamlining my budget (still a work in progress) and if I can get it where I want it, I may be able to go back and start adding on to my fixed wing as well.

I have decided to do both also. I am completing instrument in the airplane (cheaper), completing commercial in the helicopter (too close to give in), and then getting the appropriate add-ons.

I have run across legitimate and lucrative private carrier jobs/offers for dual rated pilots. It is convenient for the owner/employer to have such people for numerous reasons.

The interest I have is a love of both types of flying. Nothing sweeter than being in a different climate within an hour. Nothing sweeter than leaving a pinnacle and having the earth disappear from under you.

Expensive to train in both, but it can be done in an efficient enough manner to make it more profitable in the long run. I know the pay scales have more potential in the fixed wing world, but the beginning (first few years) pay scales are about the same.

Guest rotorflyr84

Sounds like everything is going well for you. I've been trying to do my research a lot mostly on job security and stability between the airlines and helo operations. The airlines haven't looked great for awhile now, and I really don't know what the future holds for the airline industry. The first year salary is half of what it costs just to train and get hired into the right seat. There's a lot of things that don't look promising that make me worry about that industry. My main reason for going back to fixed wing flying was simply the ability to commute via airlines, the lower mins at most regionals, and hopes of a decent QOL. But, the more I sit and think about the two, helicopters seem to be better in more areas. Granted the helo industry is a small one, and the jobs seem to be in a few selective areas (at least the ones mainly advertised), but starting pay actually can excede training costs (depending on the company), and as far as work schedules, I can only imagine that it's slight better than fixed wing. But, like I said, I'm really trying to do my research on the two. My Fiance and I have discussed this so many times, and she's about ready to kill me, but deciding what's best is really tough to be honest with you. Any suggestions?

Also, being dual rated is really for more corporate type jobs, etc. For instance, Hendrix Motor Sports over here has a Bell 430, and 3 Saab 340's.

Corporate and private carrier is where it's at. More fun and challenging, but more patience required. The airlines stink, regionals play second class to the parent comapnies, and flying the same routes allllllthe stinking time.

I also think the fuel prices are going to dictate much of what happens in either industry. I smell some legislation coming down to regulate the options and speculations part of the financial world, which may hurt the aviation industry in the long run, but that's politics and this is a helicopter forum.

To have both skill sets will be advantageous forever. Stay with it.

ugg... to say it is an advantage to be dual rated is probabally a misconsception... I mean, get all the ratings you can... that's great and will be fun and maybe help your all around flying skills..

Unfortunately if you are career oriented you have to make a few choices and finances usually dictate how much you can spend on one or the other (fw/rw).

In the heli world you have to make a choice.... After instructing are you going to fly tours or go to the gulf? Not many other options out there to get some experience. Neither really is BETTER than what goes on in the regional FW world. I don't think there are any jobs in aviation that you are home every night.... yes EMS is probabally the closest... it usually requires significant experience to break into... so now you spent 10 years getting the experience boy that was fun and you haven't been home to watch the wife.... now you're divorced.

I think the FW world is more family oriented with their schedules and better pay in the long run. The RW world can have alot of variables... say you want to fly fires... so you're gone for 4 months and then you can sit around all winter until the next one.

Guest rotorflyr84
ugg... to say it is an advantage to be dual rated is probabally a misconsception... I mean, get all the ratings you can... that's great and will be fun and maybe help your all around flying skills..

Unfortunately if you are career oriented you have to make a few choices and finances usually dictate how much you can spend on one or the other (fw/rw).

In the heli world you have to make a choice.... After instructing are you going to fly tours or go to the gulf? Not many other options out there to get some experience. Neither really is BETTER than what goes on in the regional FW world. I don't think there are any jobs in aviation that you are home every night.... yes EMS is probabally the closest... it usually requires significant experience to break into... so now you spent 10 years getting the experience boy that was fun and you haven't been home to watch the wife.... now you're divorced.

I think the FW world is more family oriented with their schedules and better pay in the long run. The RW world can have alot of variables... say you want to fly fires... so you're gone for 4 months and then you can sit around all winter until the next one.

I'm 50/50 with you on this. I would have to say that the FW world really isn't more family oriented. Many nights spent in a hotel, working a 5 on 3 off schedule, which you only get to spend 2 days off because you're commuting to your crashpad to possibly sit around and wait for a flight if you're on reserve. Upgrade times at most regionals vary, but the average is 4-7 years.

I totally agree that a choice has to be made which is usually dictated by finances. To be honest, I have been very indecisive about which road I want to take. I know that I won't be home every night, I do know that my Fiance isn't going to Divorce me due to my career choice. Sure she would much rather see me more often, but she has the chance to change her mind now, but our communication is great, and our relationship is great and to us, that matters more than anything. I feel bad that I keep taking her and others on this roller coaster ride of...well helicopters...umm fixed wing .....I have to make up my mind. But keeping myself and my family happy is a task I've never had to deal with until now. My personal observations, is I see a stronger stability and market in the helo world than the fixed wing world.

In the helo world, I would possibly enjoy tours, corporate, ems, and GOM flying.

I guess the response is that the problem with the helicopter world is it requires you to move your whole family ALOT. If they aren't willing to move with you, you will be in trouble for jobs. If they are willing to travel around to different areas of the country for a seasonal job... go fo it.

Guest rotorflyr84
I guess the response is that the problem with the helicopter world is it requires you to move your whole family ALOT. If they aren't willing to move with you, you will be in trouble for jobs. If they are willing to travel around to different areas of the country for a seasonal job... go fo it.

Exactly. I agree. This is one of the main issues I'm trying to work out as well.

Someone sign me up for tours in Hawaii...I can start collecting offensive Hawaiian shirts, surfing 25 footers and working on my tan. Hell while Im dreaming, the tours are done in the AH-64. Weapons are hot, and tourists get to watch me fill volcano's with weapons fire.

After tips so large that I need a wheel barrel to dump them into the trunk of my car, its back to the waves, and string bikini's where the girls like to watch my tatoo dance.

Who's with me????

B)

Someone sign me up for tours in Hawaii...I can start collecting offensive Hawaiian shirts, surfing 25 footers and working on my tan. Hell while Im dreaming, the tours are done in the AH-64. Weapons are hot, and tourists get to watch me fill volcano's with weapons fire.

After tips so large that I need a wheel barrel to dump them into the trunk of my car, its back to the waves, and string bikini's where the girls like to watch my tatoo dance.

Who's with me????

B)

[/quot

I'm in sign me up

Guest rotorflyr84

Who's with me????

B)

Don't quite understand your sarcasm

Ah, the age old question. Rotary verses fixed. The missions are nowhere near the same. Each has it's advantages. Get as many ratings as you can in whatever you like. The more extensive and varied the resume' the better. Somewhere along the way you'll decide which one you want to settle on. Never miss an opportunity to go to a factory training school or a class offered. Employers like dual rated pilots, just like they like mechanics with a pilots license. When it's all said and done a lot depends upon how much you want to watch your children grow and how much you want to be involved in their football, baseball, hockey, ballet, etc. I get my grandchildren to the airport as much as I can. Missed my sons growing up, but now they work for me and I see them everyday. Trying to do better with the grandkids. Make your family a part of the decision. You'll be a lot happier on those remote bases if the wife and kids understand.

My thoughts,

bossman

"Someone sign me up for tours in Hawaii...I can start collecting offensive Hawaiian shirts, surfing 25 footers and working on my tan. Hell while Im dreaming, the tours are done in the AH-64. Weapons are hot, and tourists get to watch me fill volcano's with weapons fire."

"After tips so large that I need a wheel barrel to dump them into the trunk of my car, its back to the waves, and string bikini's where the girls like to watch my tatoo dance."

"Who's with me?????"

Im with you on this one for sure. I cant see a single thing wrong with a daily schedule that included waking up and catching the morning surf, then head to the "office" to go fly a helo around a nice tropical island for the rest of the day!

I think i could manage that lifestyle!!!

Edited by mrjibbs