Anyone fly for Air Guard/ National Guard?

I'm looking to learn all that I can about the path from being a civilian Commercial Pilot to flying for a military outfit. Please post links, helpful info, qualifications, personal experience? I've been doing my own research and talking with a recruiter but I have much to learn and would appreciate input. Thanks.

- What is the WO pay scale like?

- What are the chances I join and do not fly?

- What are the best options when it comes to what branch?

I'm looking to learn all that I can about the path from being a civilian Commercial Pilot to flying for a military outfit. Please post links, helpful info, qualifications, personal experience? I've been doing my own research and talking with a recruiter but I have much to learn and would appreciate input. Thanks.

You are going to hate my reply...

Pay scale, go to the previously mentioned website OR www.military.com

Chances are... Whatever you make of it... typically somewhere between 0%-100%

The best options when it comes to what branch is Entirely up to what you want to do, the mission, lifestyle, goals

CHAD

are you trying to make the transition only into the guard/reserve component or are you looking at active duty as well.

I shopped your question around to some of my airforce pilot budddies and they all said the same thing. it goes along with Chad mentioned earlier. Its what you make it.

Becoming a pilot is really competitive. There are a lot of people vying for a career in aviation. Having just recently gone through the process, if you go through the Army warrant side of the things...your experience in aviation already can only help you in your endeavor. If you have your degree and want to fly for the Air Force then again your experience can only help you.

The thing is you need to determine what exactly you would like to fly and then shoot for that goal. You wont know unless you try.

It might sound a bit naive or a bit overly patriotic, but money shouldn't be your main motivator in becoming a pilot for any branch of service. You motivation should come from wanting to serve the nation. (im not saying your money driven, its just its really important that people understand this point)

Sure officers get paid more than their enlisted brothers but compared to being private pilot out side, the pay is significantly lower. Of course in the military we receive benefits like medical, housing, etc (active duty) so you might want to weigh that into your equation.

What recruiters have you spoken to (what branches?)

Good luck..

Edited by ErOk_OnE

Erok, The only recruiter I have talked to is with the Army Natl Guard. He is clueless but to his credit he is supposedly making an effort to find out how to help me.

Money is not my motivation, but as a father and husband who needs to be able to support a family, they do matter to me.

I do not have a 4 year degree and I am not going to spend the time and money to finish the last two years at this point in my life.

My goal, since you asked specifically is to be able to transition from where I am now into the ANG or the Army and fly helicopters. Not maybe fly...or fly in 5 years or 10 years. I know you might be thinking that this is unrealistic because there are deciding factors. Im not worried about ASVAB scores, Basic, or medical/ flight physicals....granted those are all in my path but I am confident that I can get through all of that.

I guess I just want to know how far already have a CPL & IR is going to get me?

Unless things have changed, your previous ratings arent going to save you anything. Of course the flight portion of flight school will be easy for you but you will still go through the full training as everyone else does. The pay is not bad at all, the benefits and tax sheltered pay makes more of an impact then people think, it took me getting out to realize how good it was. Civilian pay looks alot better on paper for getting loans but you'll take home more of your military pay (unless your on the upper end of civil pay).

The part time guard guys didnt fly a lot in my unit. Most flight time for them came in AFTP's (additional flight training period) which most peaple only got 12 a year which each period is a 4 hour block. Of course that was up until 2000, the guard deploys a lot and may not even have money for aftp's these days. Maybe someone with current info will chime in.

Unless things have changed, your previous ratings arent going to save you anything. Of course the flight portion of flight school will be easy for you but you will still go through the full training as everyone else does.

In reading the Warrant Officer Recruiting page and California Air Guard website, I think that I may fall into a "Civilian" transition where ratings count? Again, thats why Im here asking questions.

Erok, The only recruiter I have talked to is with the Army Natl Guard. He is clueless but to his credit he is supposedly making an effort to find out how to help me.

Money is not my motivation, but as a father and husband who needs to be able to support a family, they do matter to me.

I do not have a 4 year degree and I am not going to spend the time and money to finish the last two years at this point in my life.

My goal, since you asked specifically is to be able to transition from where I am now into the ANG or the Army and fly helicopters. Not maybe fly...or fly in 5 years or 10 years. I know you might be thinking that this is unrealistic because there are deciding factors. Im not worried about ASVAB scores, Basic, or medical/ flight physicals....granted those are all in my path but I am confident that I can get through all of that.

I guess I just want to know how far already have a CPL & IR is going to get me?

I understand 100% about being a father and husband...i'm there with you. SUPER IMPORTANT--

You need to understand a few things about the recruiters. They will try to get you to go enlisted first then tell you that you can transition into WO later. Don't fall for that. If you want to fly right away...then he or she is able to get you in as a WO.

I just went through that process and was accepted into WOCS for this August. I came in as a civilian directly into the WO and when i finish WOCS and Flight school I'll be a pilot. I had to keep my recruiter motivated and focused on the fact that I wanted to go "street to seat"

You can get appointed to WO class from where you are, although competitive you CAN make it. Dont let anyone tell you different.

I hope this helps...

also go the usarec website and follow the info about becoming a W.O. Also i've seen online some that the air guard has its own info on recruiting for warrant officers. http://www.1800goguard.com/explore/warrant/

hope this helps...and I know youll make it.

You sure you want to go in as a father and a husband? Even the National Guard are spending a lot of time over in the zone. If you don't mind missing birthday's, holidays, anniversaries, and spending a lot of time away from the family by all means sign away. But if you want to spend valuable time at home with the family you may want to reconsider and look at other options. I got out so I could spend time with my family and be home every night. Got sick of being gone 8 + months a year away from the family. Wasn't worth it to me, but to each their own. Like they say if the military wanted you to have a family they would issue you one!

Darkhorse, As a Hooker, I get 72 AFTP's a year, fly every other week if not more. Hell, I just got back from flyin' a 47 from Oklahoma to New York. 10 Hours in 1 weekend. I also have buddies that I graduated with that are on active duty who have yet to touch a 47.

CHAD

Thanks for all the help thus far guys. I know the recruiters games, Ive been there before but what I wont do is sign on as active and try to kiss my way to WO. Thanks again to everyone for the help and for your service.

Edited by NorCalHeliKid