Aircraft accidents

Well, the news is the news and aircraft accidents are usually big news especially in the local area. It is a great chance for uneducated news reporters to sensationalize an otherwise tragic event. But at the end of the day, if you take an ENG job, you are there to cover what they tell you to cover. Refusing to fly to something because you feel it is wrong is a good way to get fired quickly.

If you want to make a difference, work to build your credibility with the station. At many stations the pilot is a faceless bus driver that no one knows. Reach out to your station, meet the people that make the decisions, bring local aviation related stories to their attention. If they trust you you'll find that they begin to call you to ask aviation questions. Then the next time an aviation accident happens help us all out by making sure that they report the facts correctly, use the correct terminology, and don't speculate. That will stop things like "It is unknown if the single engine training airplane had redundant (meaning dual) controls" from getting on the air.

- T

Edited by tvman345

I had to do it yesterday. I did'nt know the pilot, but I land at that airport frequently. It is a hard thing to do, but when you think about it most of the stories that we fly on someone is either hurt or dead. It just hits close to home because we are involved in aviaton.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=...&id=6176901