Left Quartering headwind

Alright all,

Read a post on JH, and it got me to thinking, the original post said "whats better? a left quartering headwind, or a right quartering headwind?" Made me think , there is definatly a difference in what a book says, and real life experience that pilots encounter flying everyday. So, I KNOW that it says a left quartering headwind is grounds for LTE because of main rotor disk interference. BUT, I have my opinion that a left quartering headwind is best . . . . . I am curious of other peoples opinions and WHY. I think this could be a good aerodynamics discussion.

Edited by clay

I've always preferred a left wind. It requires less power, because you're using right pedal to keep the nose straight. It's possible to get LTE from it, but I've never come close to it. I have often been near torque limits, though, and I prefer a left wind for that reason. You do have to be careful, and never accept any yaw, keeping the nose straight where you want it at all times. Let a turn get started and you may have big problems. My personal standards are never to permit any yaw on takeoff or landing.

This subject isn't really applicable to anything but a 206, because other helicopters have sufficient tail rotor authority to make it a moot point. The 206 started out without enough tail rotor, and it's only become worse as the available power has been increased. People die every year from this.

i agree with you. wonder why some pilots are scared to hover in anything but a headwind.

Edited by clay

i agree with you. wonder why some pilots are scared to hover in anything but a headwind.

Because they have been scared to death in the helicopter they trained in that has zero tail rotor.

I never cared about the wind as long as I had some. Left side, right side, whatever. Wind is good...

As Gomer said, the 206 is a different animal. I have had the crap scared out of me in one with pilot induced LTE. When I was a young 100 hour guy, I allowed the bird to get into LTE from OGE at night. My buddy Dave regained control after about 500'. Taught me a lesson on the 206. Changed my shorts and flight suit after that one!

HAHA. :lol: was that here in Denver, or somewhere else. I do have to admit, and you know as well as me, that the Enstrom does not like a tail wind. it is amazing how much power difference there is with that heli.