IACRA and form 8710

As some may recall, my DPE used IACRA to complete the request for my pilot's license instead of form 8710.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...60&start=60

He said at the time, (April 4th 08) that I would get my card from the DOT in 30 days instead of 60 days. Well, I just got my green card today, 6/23/08. Not quite 30 days. I had called the FAA to check on the thing a couple of weeks ago and was told that IACRA does help keep the paper from getting lost, but really doesn't speed things up any. Looks like things are still behind a bit at the FAA to the tune of 80 days or so for applications to get through the system. I however, have mine now...

Tom

As some may recall, my DPE used IACRA to complete the request for my pilot's license instead of form 8710.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...60&start=60

He said at the time, (April 4th 08) that I would get my card from the DOT in 30 days instead of 60 days. Well, I just got my green card today, 6/23/08. Not quite 30 days. I had called the FAA to check on the thing a couple of weeks ago and was told that IACRA does help keep the paper from getting lost, but really doesn't speed things up any. Looks like things are still behind a bit at the FAA to the tune of 80 days or so for applications to get through the system. I however, have mine now...

Tom

I tried to use INACRA (IACRA) when I was getting my Helicopter Instrument and CFII. The system would not accept it due to my helicopter instrument times (it was an add-on rating). So there are a few bugs in it still.

IACRA does speed up the processing since it will, in theory, not allow an application to be submitted with errors. When a DPE submits a paper 8710 he sends it to his/her FSDO. The FSDO reviews the 8710 and if there are errors mails it back. The DPE corrects it and mails it to the FSDO again. Once the FSDO checks it, they mail it to Oklahoma City. Lets say then, that the FSDO missed an error and Ok City catches it. They mail it to the FSDO, who mails it to the DPE, who corrects it, then mails to the FSDO, who mails it back to Ok City. Sound complicated? It is, and it costs a LOT of money in manpower and postage. Not to mention, these error corrections can push processing time to 120 days and beyond.

IACRA eliminates these steps by removing the FSDO from the process, and virtually eliminating errors. They can still happen (I'll talk about one in a second), but MUCH less frequently. Our DPE reports that the FAA is saving in the neighborhood of $25 million a year since IACRA can be used for ANY FAA issued certificate or rating.

Keep in mind, IACRA isn't perfect yet, and probably will never be. Recently our DPE issued a Commercial Airplane Single Engine Land certificate, but when IACRA spit out the temporary it gave the student a Commercial Single Engine Sea certificate. The IACRA system can also be tilted if you are applying for a certificate on IACRA when you haven't received your plastic for a certificate issued with a paper 8710. Since the system doesn't know about the temp you have (not entered in database yet) it isn't able to process the higher certificate since it thinks you don't meet the requirements. We had this happen when a student with a PPL got his Instrument in record time. He got the PPL with an 8710, and we tried to apply for the instrument with IACRA.

I have been forced to become an IACRA expert since I am the only computer literate instructor at my school. I had to learn all the ins and outs so that I could talk crying and disoriented instructors (because of IACRA) through the IACRA process over the phone. I am quite well versed in the operation of the system now and even with it's quirks can work through an IACRA app faster then a paper app. If anybody has questions, please feel free to PM.

Edited by PhotoFlyer

I have been forced to become an IACRA expert since I am the only computer literate instructor at my school. I had to learn all the ins and outs so that I could talk crying and disoriented instructors (because of IACRA) through the IACRA process over the phone. I am quite well versed in the operation of the system now and even with it's quirks can work through an IACRA app faster then a paper app. If anybody has questions, please feel free to PM.

I also found this training site for IACRA. Would have helped more if I'd found it before my PPL instead of the day before my CPL....

--c

• 2 weeks later...

I love IACRA!!!

Well, ok.... there is some sarcasm there, but i do like it. The only thing I wish they would fix is the backlog. I had the privelege of signing off my very first student for a practical test this week. But since there is such a backlog, (I passed my CFI in April) I had to do it all on a printed 8710 because the system doesnt recognize me as a CFI just yet. It was actually less time consuming, at least on my end.

IACRA has my application... just not processed. I am hoping that when the time comes for the next student, I can be official. I might have to get a new temporary certificate if thise keeps up!