A-STAR CRASH VIDEO

In my opinion it looks like he comes in to land on a dolly. Bounces the first attempt (which really isn't too hard to do...), where he slides to the left, then it slides off the dolly onto the ground (which is where he sould of left it.. and saved the aircraft). From there he says "Oh SH&%!" tries to correct it, catching the bear claws on the dolly and the kicks in some pedal that sends him into dynamic rollover....

Edited by fast03cobra

WOW !!

I couldnt tell why his first attempt was on a slope....then I saw the dolly if you look close at the ground.

It should have been a standard slope take off to a level attitude, but after watching it 100 times, it must have hooked on something....wow that happened fast...about a half a second.

This is a must watch for flight schools and students.

Goldy

It sucks in general to land an Astar, it sucks even more to put it on a dolly. Just have to fly it down. Looks like he rushed it and one thing led to the next.

JD

My buddy says the same thing about the A-Star, and he's got about 1,000 hours in an A-Star. Plus I experienced it first hand as he was trying to land. Seemed quite unstable, and it seemed like it didn't want to land! My buddy also made the comment as well. You really have to fly it to the ground, until you're full down collective! It appears from this video, that they rushed the landing. I think the dolly had a railing, but not 100% sure. Unless they hooked the bear paw on the underside, but that seems quite difficult.

Rob

Yep, as most things in aviation, it just takes a fraction of a second.

Rob, how's it been? I too have 850 hours in those mixmasters. It takes time to get used to the Astar dance but after time it's not too hard to make it smooth.

It looks like the pilot rushed the set down and so it bounced and maybe got into ground resonance. Then picked up and rushed the set down again getting a skid stinger caught and dynamic rollover soon followed. So, I guess my theory is pilot induced ground resonance followed by dynamic rollover.

It's too bad, looked like a nice Astar too. Just goes to show how fast the effect a decision we make can be seen. I had to go back and see that video several times.

Yep, as most things in aviation, it just takes a fraction of a second.

Rob, how's it been? I too have 850 hours in those mixmasters. It takes time to get used to the Astar dance but after time it's not too hard to make it smooth.

It looks like the pilot rushed the set down and so it bounced and maybe got into ground resonance. Then picked up and rushed the set down again getting a skid stinger caught and dynamic rollover soon followed. So, I guess my theory is pilot induced ground resonance followed by dynamic rollover.

It's too bad, looked like a nice Astar too. Just goes to show how fast the effect a decision we make can be seen. I had to go back and see that video several times.

I have to agree with JD on this one! I'm doing well JD! Hope things are well in Sin City!

R91

Rob

I have to agree with JD on this one! I'm doing well JD! Hope things are well in Sin City!

R91

Rob

One question, which may not relate to what went on here. When you have ground resonance and you need to get it off of the ground to fix that, how easy (or possible) is it to lift up gently and safely? Ideally (without ground res) we get light on the skids, make sure we're not stuck and lift off slowly, so we know we're not going to roll, but what sort of control do you have when your rotors are out of whack? If you have ground resonance AND a stuck skid do you just shut the thing down and hope it doesn't fall apart?

HVG

One question, which may not relate to what went on here. When you have ground resonance and you need to get it off of the ground to fix that, how easy (or possible) is it to lift up gently and safely? Ideally (without ground res) we get light on the skids, make sure we're not stuck and lift off slowly, so we know we're not going to roll, but what sort of control do you have when your rotors are out of whack? If you have ground resonance AND a stuck skid do you just shut the thing down and hope it doesn't fall apart?

HVG

Good question. I have had ground resonance in the 300CB and the Astar. Both due to a bad shock on the skid.

It's easy to fix really. Once you set a skid down it will be obvious if you are getting into ground resonance. Most of the time you'll be at flight RPM still and just smoothly raise the collective and do a normal pick up. You don't want to waste much time but don't rush yourself either.

If you picked up and started getting dynamic roll over then I would put it back down and shut down. At that point you may have had enough load on the disk to fix the resonance. If not then you will know and the best thing and only thing you can do is shut down. Remember, all of this happens really fast but it's not too common.