Author In Need Of Some Help

Jmurman

Hello. I was referred to this site by a friend who thought I might be able to gather some information and get some help here.

I am writing a novel and have run into a wall regarding one of the chapters. One of the main characters is an Apache pilot stationed in Iraq. Although the chapter itself is primarily background, it is still a key point in the book...so if you can help me I'd REALLY appreciate it.

What I would like to know is:

How a mission in Iraq unfolds, from the planning to implementation...from the pilot/co-pilot/ground crew perspective

The language that the crew use when they talk to one another, a personal flavor if you will.

If a target is chosen, how does the pilot/co-pilot-gunner relate to one another verbally when making that attack.

If you have any specific questions that you want to ask me, please feel free to email me or post them here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jmurman

Although there are several Active Duty Aviators that frequent this forum I might suggest poking around at:

Kiowa Pilots Online Forum

Hawkdriver Forum

Military.com Army Aviation Forum

I dont know of any place online that directly represents the Apache community.

Good luck. Looking foward to a REALISTIC fiction story centered on Army Aviation.

Don't they say things like:

Son, your ass is writing cheques that it can't cash

Tower, we're requesting a flyby."

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full!

Don't have a plan?!  Son, the japs don't take a dump without a plan!

And lastly, the all time favourite (for the end of the mission)...

You can be my wingman any day.

Bullshi1t.  You can be mine.

Follow this with lots of manly hugging and bravado and some good ole American flag waving.

In all seriousness, Blackhawk Down was pretty well researched.  That would be a good start.  Other than that, I can't help you!!!

Good luck.

Joker

I dont know of any place online that directly represents the Apache community.

Good luck. Looking foward to a REALISTIC fiction story centered on Army Aviation.

Yeah I get that feeling. My first novel had as a sub plot, no pun intended, action centered around Ohio Class boomers.

Eventually I'll find someone that's been there..done that. I just don't want to write from information found on the web..most of it is pretty redundant

Cheers jmurman,

If you're going to go to all this trouble asking questions on this forum - then please, please - take the time to learn what the controls of a helicopter do.  

I get so tired of reading that I "push forward on the collective to move forward", "gun the motor before I accelerate" from a hover, and that I "increase or decrease" the throttle to either lift to a hover or land from one.  

Modern helicopters (turbine) have a governor that controls engine RPM.  You also have two "idles", ground idle is about 61% N2 and flight idle which is 100% N2.  (N2 is rotor RPM, N1 is compressor RPM)

Nothing - and I mean NOTHING turns me off of a book faster that things like this.  Most times, the book flies into a wall and I add another author into my list of "never buy again".

If you can afford it, go take an hours instruction - it will give you tremendous insight in these incredible machines - and maybe you'll become addicted.  If nothing else, it'll make your book read like a "real thing" instead of a mass market waste of time.

Good luck with the book!

Gentle winds,

cr

To be quite honest, I'm not sure how much of the AH-64D technology is still classified.

I don't know much of what goes on between pilot and the co-pilot as far as terminology goes, but whatever the CPG ( co-pilot/ gunner) sees the pilot sees as well.

I just so happen to work on this particular aircraft and I'm hesitant to say too much. Although, I would very much like to help you write your book. It sounds great.

Without giving too much away I can say that most target acquisition isn't done visually.

Until I get more information on what's already out there I'm afraid I can't help too much. But, I'll definitely research it.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure how much of the AH-64D technology is still classified.

I don't know much of what goes on between pilot and the co-pilot as far as terminology goes, but whatever the CPG ( co-pilot/ gunner) sees the pilot sees as well.

I just so happen to work on this particular aircraft and I'm hesitant to say too much. Although, I would very much like to help you write your book. It sounds great.

Without giving too much away I can say that most target acquisition isn't done visually.

Until I get more information on what's already out there I'm afraid I can't help too much. But, I'll definitely research it.

email sent, thanks!