AOPA Protection Services

avbug

Some time ago, a thread involved a discussion about the AOPA legal plan. In the course of that discussion, I pointed out some of the drawbacks and shortcomings of that program. The plan has changed, and merged with their medical consultation system. It's expanded substantially in coverage.

I spent part of yesterday with an aviation attorney who participates in that plan, and had some time to discuss it with him. The coverage now extends well beyond the initial violation consultation, and goes through the appeal process at multiple levels.

Given the value of what's offered now, I'd say one would be foolish not to take advantage of the plan. That particular attorney charges about three fifty an hour for his time, but with the protection plan one has initially up to 20 hours of his time for about a hundred bucks a year. That can't be beaten with a stick. Even later in advanced stages of the process, if needed, his time is paid at 20% instead of full cost, which is a huge difference in out of pocket costs.

I don't work for them or have anything to do with them, but did want to set the record straight, based on my previous comments and observations regarding the plan. I'm not sure how one could afford not to participate, given what it presently offers.

• Like 1

Some time ago, a thread involved a discussion about the AOPA legal plan. In the course of that discussion, I pointed out some of the drawbacks and shortcomings of that program. The plan has changed, and merged with their medical consultation system. It's expanded substantially in coverage.

I spent part of yesterday with an aviation attorney who participates in that plan, and had some time to discuss it with him. The coverage now extends well beyond the initial violation consultation, and goes through the appeal process at multiple levels.

Given the value of what's offered now, I'd say one would be foolish not to take advantage of the plan. That particular attorney charges about three fifty an hour for his time, but with the protection plan one has initially up to 20 hours of his time for about a hundred bucks a year. That can't be beaten with a stick. Even later in advanced stages of the process, if needed, his time is paid at 20% instead of full cost, which is a huge difference in out of pocket costs.

I don't work for them or have anything to do with them, but did want to set the record straight, based on my previous comments and observations regarding the plan. I'm not sure how one could afford not to participate, given what it presently offers.

I agree, I have bought the plan for years, but its a much better value now. Never say "It won't happen to me"...when they are out arresting glider pilots for no violations at all, we all need some form of basic protection.