Got to fly in Rio

I'm presently on a business trip down here in Brazil for the week I was in Rio yesterday and had arranged an hour in an R22 to fly the area. Unbelievable! I've been visiting Rio for 20 years and never guessed I'd by piloting a helicopter around the place. I flew with a young CFI who teaches in a Beta II at the airport in Barra. Lots of radio comms and all in Portuguese. We cruised miles of coast line, flew over the old city, around Sugarloaf Mountain. There are certain corridors through the mountains you have to follow to fly by the Christ Statue at about 2,300' above the Copacabanna Beach.

Awesome trip - but i wish I'd taken my A20s. It's tough dealing with vintage DCs when you're used to some decent ANRs. I had a GoPro strapped to my forehead, but I can't get to the contents until I get back. I hope there's some great footage. I meant to take plenty of pics with the iPhone, but I just couldn't bear to give up the controls. I really appreciated the fact the my left seater never messed with the controls. Just handled the radio and navigation. [attachment. It was just like flying in north Georgia, but the scenery was different to say the least.

post-44620-0-84875400-1431032208_thumb.jpg

post-44620-0-92231100-1431032275_thumb.jpg

• Like 2