GI Bill problems

Hello everyone,

I am at a flight school that seems to have major problems associated with VA funding for flight training. The problem resides with the college...Westfield College in MA. Their program allows for distance learning and use the local flight school for flight training. The first thing that was told to me was that the VA had audited the college and found some discrepancies. According to the college, all is fine, and there is no problems. What problem has remained constant is accounts have been frozen or no further funding is available so all training has come to a screeching halt. My question is that has any personnel here ran into the same setbacks as I have or is this a individual issue with my particular flight school with Westfield college or is it an issue between Westfield College and the VA. I ask the second because Westfield College has agreements with not only my particular flight school but with at least a half dozen other flight schools across the nation.

• 1 month later...

Time Hater, I've been hearing the VA is taking a closer look at this aspect of the GI Bill amidst at least one lawsuit I know of and abuse by flight schools. This is only an assumption - I don't have any friends at the VA. From the way you describe the problem, I would say that you're right on the money with the accreditation thing. It's not enough to have an agreement with the flight school, or for the flight school to have their 141 program certified. I work for Seacoast Helicopters in Portsmouth NH who is attempting get their 141 program going. You'll have to contact the owner, Bruce, for details, but there is a lot more to it than people think if you do things the right way. I don't believe the program will be ready for the fall semester though. If I were you I'd jump ship and get on to one of these schools mentioned in other threads that have established programs across the country. If you want to wait another semester and continue to train in the New England area, then give us a call at Seacoast Helicopters or send me a PM and I can keep you updated. Good luck.