Air Tour Drug Testing

V-any

Looking into the tour operation thing. The biggest unknown for me right now is the FAA drug testing program.

I've found a place that can do the tests, but it sounds like I would still need to do all of the compliance and record keeping. That's a venue i don't want to play in, it seems complicated, so I'm looking at outsourcing.

From my research, it sounds like I need to find a 'consortium' if I want to outsource the compliance piece (not just the tests themselves).

So, a few questions:

1. Is the drug program easier to administer than I'm making it out to be? Is it easy to do it on your own, or is outsourcing it a good idea?
  2. Am I right in that I'm looking for a 'consortium'?
  3. When I submit the letter for the tour LOA, will it be as easy as saying "I signed up with ____ consortium, they're managing the program"?
  4. What's a turn-key drug program typically cost?

There will probably be only 2 or 3 safety-critical personnel that will be subject to testing.

• Like 1

Looking into the tour operation thing. The biggest unknown for me right now is the FAA drug testing program.

I've found a place that can do the tests, but it sounds like I would still need to do all of the compliance and record keeping. That's a venue i don't want to play in, it seems complicated, so I'm looking at outsourcing.

From my research, it sounds like I need to find a 'consortium' if I want to outsource the compliance piece (not just the tests themselves).

So, a few questions:

1. Is the drug program easier to administer than I'm making it out to be? Is it easy to do it on your own, or is outsourcing it a good idea?
  2. Am I right in that I'm looking for a 'consortium'?
  3. When I submit the letter for the tour LOA, will it be as easy as saying "I signed up with ____ consortium, they're managing the program"?
  4. What's a turn-key drug program typically cost?

There will probably be only 2 or 3 safety-critical personnel that will be subject to testing.

There’s enough information out there to do it on your own; however, if you don’t want to do the extra reading and homework, just hire a service agent. Moreover, if you’re not heads-up on the paperwork and record-keeping end, you’ll wish you had an agent when the FAA calls you for an on-site compliance inspection.

In any case, the employer is still responsible for compliance with the regulations even when using a service agent. Therefore, you should have a working knowledge of the FAA’s requirements to ensure the service agent is compliant with the regulations on your behalf. Take a look at the links below.

Air tour operator as defined in 14 CFR part 91, § 91.147

How to Start a Drug and Alcohol Testing Program

AVIATION DRUG AND ALCOHOL COMPLIANCE

Drug and Alcohol Testing Program FAQ

Drug and Alcohol Compliance and Enforcement Inspector Handbook

Below are nine of the main areas you’ll need to be familiar with.

1. Designated Employer Representative/Program Manager

2. Primary Specimen Collection Site, Primary Alcohol Testing Site

3. Medical Review Officer

4. Substance Abuse Professional

5. Training and Education Records

6. Recordkeeping & Reporting

7. Company Drug & Alcohol Policy Manual

8. 14 CFR120 - DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAM

9. 49 CFR 40 - TRANSPORTATION WORKPLACE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAMS

Below are just two of many turnkey drug and alcohol testing program service agents you can call on for pricing.

http://www.faadrug.com/default.asp

http://www.tagams.com

Additional Ref..

49 CFR 40.333 What records must employers keep?

49 CFR 40.25 Must an employer check on the drug and alcohol testing record of employees it is intending to use to perform safety-sensitive duties?

14 CFR 120.119 Annual reports.

14 CFR 120.113 Medical Review Officer, Substance Abuse Professional, and Employer Responsibilities.

14 CFR 120.219 Handling of test results, record retention, and confidentiality.

49 CFR 40.29 Where is other information on employer responsibilities found in this regulation?

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1