Interesting Video!

Where is the full length? Not a problem...................... :lol:

:huh:

I believe Mdash was referring to another thread with a link to a video of a Gazelle racing a Porsche 911 around a race track.

Anyhow, what I thought was interesting about the above video was that they said the rotor was driven by bleed air from the turbine and that it used no gearbox!

What about directional control, I see the pedals but what are they controlling?

Do32-7702.jpg

The Dornier 32 E/U was an ultra-light single seat helicopter designed by Dornier, which started flight testing at Oberpfaffenhofen on June 19, 1962. It was a collapsible helicopter with reaction drive which could be carried in a car trailer which also served as a take-off and landing platform. Stowed in a special transport box, the helicopter could be stored anywhere, ready for operation, and was easily carried by air, sea and land. The two-blade rotor made of light metal was driven by compressed air leaving through blade tip nozzles. The drive system of this reaction helicopter, free from anti-torque moment, consisted of a turbine-operated compressor made for easy handling in operation. The Do 32E was practically a precursor for the unmanned "Kiebitz" ("Pewit") rotor platform. The Do 32 U autostable, remotely controlled rotor platform was derived from the Do 32 single seat helicopter. This experimental unit was used from June 1966 for basic testing for the future tethered unmanned "Kiebitz" rotor platform.

Dornier built a total of three prototypes of the single-seat helicopter. Since the German Ministry of Defense (Bundesverteidigungsministerium) was in muliseater though, additional models were not completed.

dornier_do-32.jpg

The Dornier Do.32 was one of the first helicopters designed and built by the German helicopter industry after the war. It was a small, ultra-lightweight single-seater which could be carried in a container of modest size, measuring 3.8m long and less than 1m wide. The container was fitted with wheels, could be towed by an ordinary motor car, and also served as a take-off and landing platform. The mini helicopter could be assembled in just five minutes.

dornier_do-32.gif

The Do.32 was powered by a 100shp BMW 6012 turbine which drove the rotor through a cold cycle. The prototype was tested on 29 June 1962 and completed the test programme in mid 1963, when the German company displayed a second model at the Paris Air Show. A few others were built but the two-seat derivative (with a 250shp turbine) offered to the German government was not adopted.

Information

Note: This information is for education purposes. Source of texts retained.

Thanks Joker, good info!

Any idea how the pilot has directional control? In the video I can see him using the "anti-torque" pedals but what are they actually controlling if there is no torque to counteract?

On a similar subject, what about the Kaman K-max, Chinook, and the Kamov coaxial rotor system? I can only guess that they vary the power to individual rotors, creating torque in the desired direction.

What about the Kaman K-max, Chinook, and the Kamov coaxial rotor system? I can only guess that they vary the power to individual rotors, creating torque in the desired direction.

They vary the individual collective and cyclic pitch - power/RPM is constant to both rotors (driven from a single transmission).

There are no 'anti-torque' pedals because there is no rotor torque that needs to be opposed.

With the air nozzles at the main rotor tips, the bleed air from the turbine sends the rotor around, which eliminates torque effect in this ship. The pedals on this unit are attached to the tail "rudder", similar to a fixed wing aircraft for directional control with forward airspeed.

I saw a 2-place helicopter at Oshkosh last year (or was that 2 years ago?) that had been a military test platform that used the same principle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiller did something similar back in 1957 called the XROE-1 Rotorcycle. It was piston engined and had a tail rotor, but was very close otherwise to the Dornier machine, especially the layout of the landing gear, the cyclic arrangement, and the totally open design. It was meant to be parachuted to crashed aircrew so they could quickly assemble the machines and fly to safety (one heli per crewman).

McDonnell built the "Little Henry" XH-20 in 1947 which used blade tip mounted ramjets. It was a very small, one man, open frame helicopter and was even lighter than the Dornier. The ramjets caused it to have very high fuel consumption, leading to its cancellation.

Didn't know about the Dornier until I saw this thread. Looks like Fun!

Cheers,

J.

There was a piston engined rotorcycle at sun-n-fun in lakeland, fl. this year. I was suprised to see it hold a rock solid hover in about 18kts of wind, looked like a boatload of fun...if you're into flying lawnmowers. I was sorry I'd used all my film on the F-22, now that was an amazing aircraft.

In response to the questions regarding yaw control on the Dornier DO-32, the pedals operate the rudder which is in the exhaust blast of the turbo-compressor.

The coaxial systems use differential collective between the rotors, which has a resultant torque reaction. However the Gyrodyne coaxial system used small tip barke paddles that deflect into the airstream when the yaw control pedals were activated, resulting in differential drag between the rotor disks.

The Hiller XROE system was a convential tail rotor system.

I have a very large number a high detail photos of the Hiller XROE machine that I might digitize if there is interest.

Does anyone have a URL address for the Dornier DO-32 full length video other than the one given by KLASMARTIN back on March 24?

Thanks